Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thank a Soldier thread

Default If you can read this...

Read this
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails If you can read this.jpg  

Default Soldiers

We have a great thread on this site called tribute to fallen soldiers. Almost every day you see stories of veterans. I thought it was worth some thoughtful words of thanks and examples on how people are paying tribute to those who fought to defend our country.

Red, white and blue, through and through
    by Jeff Passan
    MIAMI GARDENS, Fla. – The flag traveled around the world and through the deserts of Afghanistan and Iraq. Sgt. Felix Perez brought it from home as a reminder and an amulet. The flag never left his Army backpack.

It accompanied Perez to Dolphin Stadium on Tuesday night. He needed some luck for his team, the United States, in its must-win World Baseball Classic game against Puerto Rico. Perez wore a Team USA hat and a Team USA hoodie, and his little sister, Jessica, draped his flag across her shoulders. The United States’ 6-5 come-from-behind victory in the ninth inning sent them into a frenzy. She danced around. He sat in his motorized wheelchair and roared.

On the way out, the 27-year-old Perez placed the flag in his lap and leaned over to a security guard manning Gate G. He was hoping some players from Team USA might sign it. The security guard led Perez and his sister to the U.S. clubhouse, and the flag went inside.

“The next thing I know,” Perez said, “I’m getting called to come back in there.”

And so began the coolest 30 minutes of Felix Perez’s life. On an evening when he felt especially proud to be an American – when a group of his sporting heroes wearing his country’s name across their chests banded together to win a game they had no business winning – Perez found himself surrounded by them, doused with celebratory Miller Lites, with the American flag that was with him during the worst moment of his life passed around the room and signed by every player on the team.
    “Everybody,” Perez said.

Then they handed him a ball filled with signatures.
    “Everybody,” Perez said.
    The half-hour went too fast.Jimmy Rollins, who scored the winning run, wanted to chat more. David Wright, who drove it in, couldn’t hear enough about how the New York Mets are Perez’s favorite team. Almost half the team surrounded Perez for a photograph, the flag draped around his torso, a smile on every face, and none brighter than his.

“I’m just happy to see him happy,” Jessica said.

It’s been four years since Perez returned from the Middle East, where he spent four years. He enlisted after his 17th birthday and was in Afghanistan by the time he turned 20. He doesn’t like to talk about his injury. Some wounds don’t heal.

Perez played ball growing up in North Bergen, N.J., and still loves watching the sport. He attended Team USA’s first WBC game here, an 11-1 mercy-rule loss to Puerto Rico. When the Americans beat the Netherlands to stay alive, Perez woke up at 9 the next morning, called the box office and bought three tickets.
    The stadium, practically empty at first pitch, filled to 13,224 by game’s end. It deserved more eyes. Puerto Rico scored in the sixth inning to break a 3-3 tie and tacked on an insurance run in the ninth for a two-run lead. The Americans, about to get bumped from the second straight WBC before the semifinals, needed something divine. Shane Victorino singled to right field. Brian Roberts singled to center. And then Roberts, who had joined Team USA just two days earlier to replace the injured Dustin Pedroia, stole second base – even though coaches laid down the hold sign. Roberts hadn’t quite learned the signs yet.

A walk to Rollins, and another to Kevin Youkilis, and the U.S. had cut the deficit to one run. Wright laced a 2-1 pitch from Fernando Cabrera down the right-field line, and out charged all of Team USA, from the bench and the bullpen, in a bull rush to home plate, then to greet Wright. His teammates kept pushing Wright, joyous and unbridled shoves, until he fell down and they buried his face in the dirt.

“I never thought that we’d be dog piling in March,” Wright said.
    No one did. The malaise that clouded the previous games involving Team USA seemed infectious. For every Felix Perez, there were dozens, sometimes hundreds, of fans rooting for the opposing team. Every WBC game thus far, even the ones in Florida, felt like it was on the road.

Not even that dampened the Americans’ enthusiasm. They play Venezuela on Wednesday to determine seeding in Los Angeles, where they’ll face either Korea or the winner of Wednesday’s Japan-Cuba knockout game – and perhaps with a few more supporters who can appreciate what Team USA accomplished Tuesday.

“That was the greatest game I’ve ever been a part of,” catcher Brain McCann said. “Ever.”

Same went for Perez. He said he would rather Team USA win the WBC than the Mets win a World Series.

“We’re the U.S.,” Perez said. “This is our game. … This is the world. You’re representing your country. What is more honorable than representing your country?”

Team USA’s manager, Davey Johnson, grew up an Army brat, his father a prisoner-of-war in World War II.
    “There is nothing more honorable,” he said.

Wright was raised near Naval Station Norfolk, one of the largest military bases in the country.

“When you see those guys and get a chance to see how much it means to them, that makes it extra special,” he said. “They take a lot of pride in that red, white and blue, and to have USA across your chest and have supporters like that – that’s what this tournament means.”

Outside the clubhouse, Perez started moving toward the stadium exit. His dad, Felix, had called. He was wondering where Perez and Jessica had gone. They were headed back to the car, Jessica said. They had a pretty amazing souvenir.
    A minute later, Rollins walked by and spotted Perez.
    “All right, baby,” he said. “Keep a smile on your face.”
    “Hey,” Perez said, “as long as you keep swinging the bat, I’ll be happy.”

Perez lifted his right arm as high as he could to wave goodbye. He wasn’t sure he’d see these guys again. He said he might fly to Los Angeles for the finals. He doesn’t know.

Perez moved his hands onto the flag. It’s a struggle, but he wanted to touch his prize. He plans on hanging it next to his other American flag, the one his friends in the 82nd Airborne sent to him when he was injured.
    The old flag’s traveling days are over. Sgt. Felix Perez brought it to his home Tuesday night as a reminder and an amulet. The flag never will leave his heart.

Default Did you thank a Veteran today?

I neglected to put this thread up earlier, sorry. I was trying to finish up a few things to get in on the crazy bite, but the weather put a crimp in those plans. Congrats to the lucky few who were able to be out this AM.

I was talking to a friend who's a Veteran today, all the fishin talk we did, I forgot to thank him for his service.

There are thousands of Vets out there, not just WWI, WWIII, Korea, Vietnam, but from Afghanistan, Iraq, Grenada, and many who served during peacetime, but served their country nonetheless. I heard on the radio that NJ alone has 452, 000 vets living here.

My Dad was a Vet. My brother is one too. Some of my uncles as well, living and dead.

Mike, Nashif, who runs the "Take a Soldier fishing" program, and is a member here, is a Vet who helps other vets. If you have a chance, take a look at these threads.

Take a soldier fishing:
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ead.php?t=1628

Tribute to fallen soldiers:
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...read.php?t=214

I hereby offer a warm and hearty "Thank you!!!" to all the Vets out there.

Whether you served in a war or not, your decision to enlist and serve your country was a noble one not everyone would make.

We live in a society where selfishness is the norm, and everyone who makes the decision to enlist commits the ultimate act of "selfless -ness". Their reasons and motives are varied, but they still put themselves at risk. Some pay with their time, others have paid with their lives.

Please try to thank someone you know who's a vet. It doesn't have to be today, it can be any day you run into them. I thanked quite a few retired Vets over the weekend when I saw the hats they were wearing on the beach.

Getting thanks from a stranger for serving your country.....

that never gets old.

So if you were occupied with other things today and didn't get to thank someone, say it tomorrow, or the next day, whenever you get the chance. The only significance for today is to set aside a day to remember them. You can thank them any day of the year, and believe me, it means a lot to them.

Thanks for reading.

Thats a nice post Rich. To many people forget to thank our veterans. In the schools they don't teach about veterans day anymore. It is our responsibility to teach the younger generation about the sacrifices the Veterans have made to make this a better place to live.

I was out tonight with an veteran. He was telling me how he served in the navy. It is nice to hear their stories. I think most of them are proud to tell it. He was so happy because he had a free dinner at Apple Bees. It must have been his lucky day because he won $100 at Bingo. Thank you Allan and all of the veterans.

I did, my Uncle is a Vet. good post.

Default Let's boycott and write letters about this group please!

Religious groups protesting at military funerals.

I hope this is appropriate for this thread, if not mods please move it. It is about religious groups protesting at military funerals. Now a judge said the victims have to $16,ooo in damages. I hope the churches don't win. This is despicable.

http://www.matthewsnyder.org/Documents.html

Default Thank a Soldier thread

Mission:

"To show our service men & women of all branches that we support them and appreciate the sacrifices they make every day for our countries and for all of us who are blessed to live in a free world."

Feel free to post up any messages, pics, videos, or e-mail forwards about the soldiers who serve our country and keep America free.
    Last edited by DarkSkies; 01-14-2011 at 11:49 AM. Reason: merged threads

Default Thank your Military

Awesome video.

Default When a Soldier comes home - thank him or her!

Sent in by Finchaser, thanks!
    Very moving pics.

http://mordru.multiply.com/photos/al...ank_Him_or_Her

Default Sub attacks destroyer - awesome power of the Military

Sent in by finchaser, thanks!

This is the Australian Submarine Navy doing a live torpedo practice shot on one of their decommissioned ships.
    They used a Mk 48 torpedo developed in the USA . It is non nuclear and not a contact weapon.
    It is designed to go off directly underneath the ship at about 50 feet under the keel.
    The effect is devastating as you can see from the video.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    Sent in by Finchaser, thanks!
    Very moving pics.
    We all should realize how unssettled our lives could be if not for the protection by US armed forces. Many folks living in these occupied countries don't know if they will be alive or dead at the end of the day. That is a terrible way to live and we are very fortunate to not be subjected to that.

Default Gene Simmons in Iraq

Sent in by OGB, thanks!
    I tell ya, Gene is an old man now, but that doesn't make his chops any different. I had chills runnin down my spine when I watched this.
    God bless American pride, WTG Gene!

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=5MtdIO23MKM

Default Another tear jerker, Semper Fi! - Cemetery Watchman, In God We Trust

Sent to me by Pebbles' Mom, thanks!

This was a tough read, if it doesn't make ya shudder, I don't know what will.

Subject: CEMETERY WATCHMAN

My friend Kevin and I are volunteers at a National cemetery in Oklahoma and put in a few days a month in a 'slightly larger' uniform.
    Today had been a long, long day and I just wanted to get the day over with and go down to Smokey's and have a cold one. Sneaking a look at my watch, I saw the time,16:55. Five minutes to go before the cemetery gates are closed for the day. Full dress was hot in the August sun Oklahoma summertime was as bad as ever--the heat and humidity at the same level--both too high.
    I saw the car pull into the drive, '69 or '70 model Cadillac Deville, looked factory-new. It pulled into the parking lot at a snail's pace.. An old woman got out so slow I thought she was paralyzed; she had a cane and a sheaf of flowers--about four or five bunches as best I could tell.

I couldn't help myself. The thought came unwanted, and left a slightly bitter taste: 'She's going to spend an hour, and for this old soldier, my hip hurts like hell and I'm ready to get out of here right now!' But for this day, my duty was to assist anyone coming in.

Kevin would lock the 'In' gate and if I could hurry the old biddy along, we might make it to Smokey's in time.

I broke post attention. My hip made gritty noises when I took the first step and the pain went up a notch. I must have made a real military sight: middle-aged man with a small pot gut and half a limp, in marine full-dress uniform, which had lost its razor crease about thirty minutes after I began the watch at the cemetery.

I stopped in front of her, halfway up the walk. She looked up at me with an old woman's squint.

'
    Ma'am, may I assist you in any way?'

She took long enough to answer.

'
    Yes, son. Can you carry these flowers? I seem to be moving a tad slow these days.'

'
    My pleasure, ma'am.' (Well, it wasn't too much of a lie.)

She looked again. '
    Marine, where were you stationed?'

'
    Vietnam, ma'am.. Ground-pounder. '69 to '71.'

She looked at me closer. '
    Wounded in action, I see. Well done, Marine. I'll be as quick as I can.'

I lied a little bigger: '
    No hurry, ma'am.'

She smiled and winked at me. '
    Son, I'm 85-years-old and I can tell a lie from a long way off.. Let's get this done. Might be the last time I can do this. My name's Joanne Wieserman, and I've a few Marines I'd like to see one more time.'

'
    Yes, ma 'am. At your service.'

She headed for the World War I section, stopping at a stone. She picked one of the flower bunches out of my arm and laid it on top of the stone. She murmured something I couldn't quite make out.. The name on the marble was
    Donald S. Davidson, USMC: France1918.

She turned away and made a straight line for the World War II section, stopping at one stone. I saw a tear slowly tracking its way down her cheek. She put a bunch on a stone; the name was
    Stephen X.Davidson, USMC, 1943.

She went up the row a ways and laid another bunch on a stone,
    StanleyJ. Wieserman, USMC, 1944..

She paused for a second and more tears flowed. '
    Two more, son, and we'll be done'

I almost didn't say anything, but, '
    Yes, ma'am. Take your time.'

She looked confused.. '
    Where's the Vietnam section, son? I seem to have lost my way.'

I pointed with my chin. '
    That way, ma'am.'

'Oh!' she chuckled quietly. '
    Son, me and old age ain't too friendly.'

She headed down the walk I'd pointed at. She stopped at a couple of stones before she found the ones she wanted. She placed a bunch on
    Larry Wieserman, USMC, 1968, and the last on
    Darrel Wieserman, USMC, 1970. She stood there and murmured a few words I still couldn't make out and more tears flowed.

'
    OK, son, I'm finished. Get me back to my car and you can go home.'
    Yes, ma'am. If I may ask, were those your kinfolk?'

She paused. '
    Yes,
    Donald Davidson was my father,Stephen was my uncle,Stanley was my husband,Larry andDarrel were our sons. All killed in action, all Marines.'

She stopped! Whether she had finished, or couldn't finish, I don't know. She made her way to her car, slowly and painfully.
    I waited for a polite distance to come between us and then double-timed it over to Kevin, waiting by the car.
    '
    Get to the 'Out' gate quick.. I have something I've got to do.'

Kevin started to say something, but saw the look I gave him. He broke the rules to get us there down the service road fast. We beat her. She hadn't made it around the rotunda yet.

'
    Kevin, stand at attention next to the gatepost. Follow my lead.' I humped it across the drive to the other post

When the Cadillac came puttering around from the hedges and began the short straight traverse to the gate, I called in my best gunny's voice: '
    TehenHut! Present Haaaarms!'

I have to hand it to Kevin; he never blinked an eye--full dress attention and a salute that would make his DI proud.
    She drove through that gate with two old worn-out soldiers giving her a send-off she deserved, for service rendered to her country, and for knowing duty, honor and sacrifice far beyond the realm of most.

I am not sure, but I think I saw a salute returned from that Cadillac.

Instead of '
    The End,' just think of 'Taps.'

As a final thought on my part, let me share a favorite prayer: '
    Lord, keep our servicemen and women safe, whether they serve at home or overseas. Hold them in your loving hands and protect them as they protect us.'

Let's all keep those currently serving and those who have gone before in our thoughts. They are the reason for the many freedoms we enjoy.
    'In God We Trust.'
    Sorry about your monitor; it made mine blurry too!

If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under!

Beautiful! Thanks for posting.

Default Hand signal to thank the military....

Sent in by Fin, thanks!

This is pretty neat.....(30 second video) ...
    Have you ever seen one of our military walking past you and wanted to convey to them your thanks, but weren't sure how or it felt awkward?

Recently, a gentleman from Seattle created a gesture which could be used and has started a movement to get the word out.

Please everybody take just a moment to watch.... The Gratitude Campaign; .......and then forward it to your friends! THEN START USING THE SIGN.

CLICK HERE

very cool dark, i will do that next time i see a soldier thanxx finchaser!

Ditto, thank you Sir.

Interesting, and simple. Thanks ogb!

Thank you for posting the gratitude campaign finchaser and dark skies. It means a lot to those active military. Here is a memory from the past for you folks, the Real Charlie Brown, true story.

Look carefully at the B-17 and note how shot up it is - one engine dead, tail, horizontal stabilizer and nose shot up.. It was ready to fall out of the sky. (This is a painting done by an artist from the description of both pilots many years later.) Then realize that there is a German ME-109 fighter flying next to it. Now read the story below. I think you'll be surprised ..

> Charlie Brown was a B-17 Flying Fortress pilot with the 379th Bomber Group at Kimbolton, England . His B-17 was called 'Ye Old Pub' and was in a terrible state, having been hit by flak and fighters. The compass was damaged and they were flying deeper over enemy territory instead of heading home to Kimbolton.
    > After flying the B-17 over an enemy airfield, a German pilot named Franz Stigler was ordered to take off and shoot down the B-17. When he got near the B-17, he could not believe his eyes. In his words, he 'had never seen a plane in such a bad state'. The tail and rear section was severely damaged, and the tail gunner wounded. The top gunner was all over the top of the fuselage. The nose was smashed and there were holes everywhere.
    > Despite having ammunition, Franz flew to the side of the B-17 and looked at Charlie Brown, the pilot. Brown was scared and struggling to control his damaged and blood-stained plane.
    > BF-109 pilot Franz Stigler B-17 pilot Charlie Brown

Aware that they had no idea where they were going, Franz waved at Charlie to turn 180 degrees. Franz escorted and guided the stricken plane to, and slightly over, the North Sea towards England . He then saluted Charlie Brown and turned away, back to Europe . When Franz landed he told the CO that the plane had been shot down over the sea, and never told the truth to anybody. Charlie Brown and the remains of his crew told all at their briefing, but were ordered never to talk about it.

> More than 40 years later, Charlie Brown wanted to find the Luftwaffe pilot who saved the crew. After years of research, Franz was found. He had never talked about the incident, not even at post-war reunions.
    > They met in the USA at a 379th Bomber Group reunion, together with 25 people who are alive now - all because Franz never fired his guns that day.
    > (L-R) German Ace Franz Stigler, artist Ernie Boyett, and B-17 pilot Charlie Brown.
    > When asked why he didn't shoot them down, Stigler later said, "I didn't have the heart to finish those brave men. I flew beside them for a long time. They were trying desperately to get home and I was going to let them do that. I could not have shot at them. It would have been the same as shooting at a man in a parachute."

Both men died in 2008

This is a true story! http://www.snopes.com/military/charliebrown.asp

> THIS WAS BACK IN THE DAYS WHEN THERE WAS HONOR IN BEING A WARRIOR .... THEY PROUDLY WORE UNIFORMS, AND THEY DIDN'T HIDE IN AMBUSH INSIDE A MOSQUE, OR BEHIND WOMEN AND CHILDREN, NOR DID THEY USE MENTALLY RETARDED WOMEN AS SUICIDE BOMBERS TO TARGET AND KILL INNOCENT CIVILIANS .... HOW TIMES HAVE CHANGED ...

__________________________________________________ _______________
    Hotmail: Powerful Free email with security by Microsoft.
    http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/201469230/direct/01/

image001.jpg
    64K Télécharger
    image002.jpg
    11K Télécharger
    image003.jpg
    16K Télécharger
    image004.jpg
    35K Télécharger
    image001.jpg
    64K Télécharger
    image002.jpg