Thread: Painting ceilings

Default Painting ceilings

I have painted my bathroom ceiling a couple of times over the last several years. The last time I painted it the ceiling paint peeled. What is something I can do a prevent the problem again. I used ceiling paint but thought maybe there is a better grade I should be using.

Try using an oil based primer first. Then the ceiling paint.

As a painter, I would recommend using paint that's going to have some sheen to it for bathrooms. Eggshell, satin or even semi-gloss will protect the walls from moisture. the sheen will repel the water as opposed to soaking up moisture like regular flat paint tends to do.

Also, if your bathroom doesn't have a vent it'll be hard to keep the ceiling from peeling, as the steam will naturally collect there. Opening a window will be better than nothing.

If you have an older house you may also be dealing with a product that used to be used back in the 30's 40's and 50's, I don't know what the technical term is but they called it white wash. That stuff will peel always. The only way to eliminate that issue is to try and sand down all the surfaces of the ceiling. apply a bonding agent like silpro or something similar coat with durabond very thinly, then resand prime and paint. It is a pain in the balls but if you do it once it should help keep paint on your ceiling