Thread: First trip

Default First trip

I have been wanting to get a hobie since last year. My friend is taking me out this weekend on one of his. Is there anything that would be helpful to me for the first time out?

fresh bait is key....no frozen stuff if u can help it...cant go wrong with a fresh clam

Don't fall in.

What are some other types of bait which are good for fishing further out in a kayak? I would think anything you use from shore would work just as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles View Post
    Don't fall in.
    Solid advice there pebbles!

Quote Originally Posted by plugginpete View Post
    What are some other types of bait which are good for fishing further out in a kayak? I would think anything you use from shore would work just as well?
    Yes, and some yakkers use live bait too. The best way to deal with that is to have a floating bucket. You need to constantly have fresh water flowing through it. You can use an aerator as well, but as the water temps go up the bait will die if the water isn't changed often. That's why I like a floating bait bucket for small bait, I use this even when I am fishing at an inlet and keep it near the back submerged where I fish.

Also kayakers will snag and drop bunker too so that is a little easier. Just find one, fish it, and when it dies snag a new one. Hope that hellps.