Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NJ fishing reports for May 15-31, 2010

Default NJ fishing reports for May 15-31, 2010

Important when registering on our site -- use an active email address so you can activate your account to be able to post.

Please post fishing reports here.......as little or as much detail as you want to give.

Please note: NO SPOT BURNING! Posts burning spots will be Edited or DELETED!
    Some veteran fishermen have put in years developing and learning about certain spots.Some of these spots can only handle a few guys at a time. We are losing enough access as it is, due to the unfortunate behavior of a few selfish people. No sense in making it worse.

For some areas, it would be wiser to say:
    OutFront (Ocean) OR -- OutBack (Bay) -- if you feel too many people will figure out what you are talking about. "Spot burning" also could involve mentioning something specific only to that area. If you do this, your post may be edited, or deleted. Remember that thousands of people could potentially read these posts. You don't want to be fishing next to ALL of them at the same time!

IF you are fishing an area that is NOT residential, being vague is less critical. For example, it's acceptable to say (Any)Park, or (Any)Bay, or mention a specific state park that has loads of parking and can handle the crowds.

If you are unclear on this concept, ask yourself:

If I name this place on the internet, will it be too crowded for me to enjoy tomorrow when people hear I got 30 fish here today?

If the answer is "Yes", then you should probably not be so specific.
    More discussion on this:
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ead.php?t=3763

We post these reports so our community will have a sense of what is working, what is not. We want to show people how to catch fish, rather than where.Even if you struck out or got skunked, it would be helpful to hear that as well.

If you have any additional details you would like to share - weather conditions, tide (incoming, outgoing, ebb, flood) water temps, bait present, or other mention of techniques or plugs used - feel free.

Some acronyms -

SH - Sandy Hook
    NoMoCo - Northern Monmouth County (below the hook to Shark River Inlet SRI)
    SoMoCo - Southern Monmouth County (below SRI to Manasquan Inlet)

OC - Ocean County
    IBSP - Island Beach State Park
    LBI - Long Beach Island

AC - Atlantic County
    AI - Absecon Inlet
    CISP - Corson's Inlet State Park
    CMC - Cape May County
    CMR - Cape May Rips
    GEI - Great Egg Inlet
    TI - Townsend's Inlet

RB - Raritan Bay
    BB - Barnegat Bay
    CB - Chesapeake Bay
    CBBT - Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel
    DB - Delaware Bay

Default The insanity has begun

Fished for the last 24 hours.

Don't have any big bass to weigh in at a tackle shop, but met some new people and had a blast with the people I was hanging with.

The fishing varied. At times it sucked, at times it was so great I thought I was out tuna fishin.

I'm fishing more and will have to learn to abbreviate the reports some. So here goes...

- Last night fished OC in search of some fish to be had in the dark on artificials. The wind was tough. Even though I found some spots that had grass shrimp, the spearing were strangely absent from the area, no fish. Finally managed a small bluefish on a storm shad. That was it for OC.

- Made my way up to Moco. Made bait but never used it, kept it on ice.
    Fished a few places artificially. Managed a few small bluefish on storm shads after moving several times with the tide.

- As dawn approached the building SW made fishing the ocean the best choice for me. Ran into some people from Maryland who told me the fish had left the Cheasapeake, and they came to NJ to fish. They managed some scattered bluefish around 7am trying storm shads and Hopkins, and fly fishing.
    It got slow after that.

- I headed for some bay fishing. After scouting a few spots, and seeing the insanity in jetty country, I made my way to the back bay area and found some monster bluefish. First cast on a bucktail I got bit by a nice bluefish, lost it. 2nd cast managed a monster blue around 14#, maybe 39". Lost at my feet, great fight.

- Called Finchaser, I wanted him to see the size of some of these freakish blues. He came up and we met "S" who fishes there every day. "S" said he had bluefish up to 18# yesterday.

-An 18# bluefish draws my attention every time. We spent a few fun hours fishing together playing with the bluefish. We landed a few, lost and played with many more on bucktails and shads.
    All in the middle of a bright sunny day.

- The thing about these bluefish is that it took an average of 5 minutes or more to bring in each one. The closer they got to you the angrier they got. The drag-screaming runs are still playing in my head. The rods were bent so much you would have thought we were fighting little tuna.

-I feel like I went to a reunion of hard-core bands Biohazard and M.O.D, and was in the mosh pit for a few hours. The kind of tired where every muscle in your body aches so good.

- Fantastic action with good people.

I don't regret not sitting on a jetty with a lawn chair all day (pics to follow) waiting for God to drop the fish from the sky.
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...?t=6613&page=2

The only thing that could have made it better would have been if Killie would have made it down to fish with us. He's promised to fish with us so many times, and let us down...
    Maybe one day he'll show up, boy will we be lucky!

Great report Dark.

2 day report, early morning fishing, incoming. IBSP. Yesterday one bass 17# on a pencil popper a little after sunrise. Bunker were in and out. Today 2 bluefish on metal, no bass.

SH 5-8am, some bluefish, SS littleneck popper. Great report Dark looks like you are geting in on some good action.

Found some bunker outside of BI yesterday, about 40' of water. A good day, fish up to 31 pounds. They're here guys catch them up!

Fished some moving water places last night, rubber, bucktails. A few small blues, hard finding a bass. Might have to make a road trip up to moco.

Nomoco 7-10, one bass 27 1/2" on clams. A guy next to me had a nice 38" bass that he said he got on clams at sunrise.

couple of runts for me last night and one keeper sized I had to voluntarily cut off because i couldnt land it off some dangerous rocks

Fished from 3am to 8 am SH. Got the big . Had one Blowup on a popper. Hoping to get out later.

Bunker came in with Big Bass this afternoon in Dover

^^ Yup I heard some things hope ya did well today Surfman. BTW welcome aboard!

Bass bonanza yesterday in OC. Snag and drop bunker, they were schooled up and nervous, then the fun began. Bass to 30lbs, fun fishing.
    This morning only managed 3 bluefish when the sun came up, metal.

I fished the Hook from 6 to 8 today, clams and bunker. One bluefish on bunker, and the skate and sea robin blitz is on, they seem to be everywhere.

fished the hook from 9pm to 1:30am. I was the only soul out there, till 1 am. It seem everyone else know there would be no fish there.Only 2 bumps on a bomber. I did snag a skate otherwise I got the big .

Fished moco areas near an inlet, and the inlet. Fished 9-2 with tins and poppers. The summer crowd is here already, hard to find a spot, too many people. There didn't look like it was much bait in the water at all. Nothing doing for me.

RB both incoming and outgoing today. We set out early AM to find bunker. Only managed a few. When we were done with those we used some old ones we had in the cooler. Blues to 15#, bass to 21#, bunker chunks. We had to run to the NY side to find the bulk of our action. About 1/2 mile from land.

Another good day off the shores of ocean county, bass to 30pounds in 40'. Catch them up folks. Please don't take them all.

I guess I relieved you.
    Fished from 1:45 to 7:00.
    Through wood, metal and rubber.
    A couple hits, could not hook up, skunkaroo too

Quote Originally Posted by vpass View Post
    fished the hook from 9pm to 1:30am. I was the only soul out there, till 1 am. It seem everyone else know there would be no fish there.Only 2 bumps on a bomber. I did snag a skate otherwise I got the big .
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

So i worked om the Eagle Friday night, saturday morning and evening trips.
    got a good report about bass hitting jigs. So we headed out nomoco area and found huge bass rolling around at the top and eating rain fish. 2 hours later we were done and doing c&r with 25 to 30 pounders. A boat with 19 guys on it limited out and only had 3 blues in the mix. Smallest bass was 18# and the pool fish was 30#. Most of the fish were between 23-27 pounds. And I thought mrs cardoc and I got big ones this year so far. One guy on the boat, no matter how much i tried to teach him how to cast his line and work the jig couldn't get it. Seeing he had not caught a fish, we moved to follow the school. As we stopped I immediately saw the bass rolling. I called the guy over to me and told him I wanted to get him a fish. So he gave me his pole and on the 3rd cast I hooked a nice 30# bass which also won the pool. After that, he felt confident and did what he saw me do and got 2 more on his own. 1 was c&r.

Saturday, was quite a bit slower. Found fish in the same area we were the night before but couldn't get them to eat. Wind against tide and all, shut their mouths. Put on 6 bass and 6 blues on the morning trip on clams. The evening trip, we went back to where we were again Friday night. Found the fish and got them to eat, even though they were being picky. Ended the night clamming and put on a total of 7 or 8 bass to 26# and 6 blues.

Makes me feel good to share what I know with others. Especially when they haven't caught a fish. Got more working coming this week. I on the other hand, haven't had me time on the water. But that's ok, I will get it in.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails eagle 5.14.10.jpg   IMAG0107.jpg  

IMAG0105.jpg   IMAG0108.jpg  

IMAG0109.jpg   IMAG0110.jpg  

"Don't be shy, give it a try"

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast