Thread: RFA-ME: RFA Maine endorses Abbott for governor

Default RFA-ME: RFA Maine endorses Abbott for governor

Sent in by Fin, thanks!

Recreational Fishing Alliance For Immediate Release Contact: Barry Gibson, RFA New England Regional Director 207-633-5929
    RFA ENDORSES MAINE'S STEVE ABBOTT FOR GOVERNOR
    New England Regional Director Praises Abbott As "Lifelong Recreational Fisherman"

Boothbay Harbor, ME (May 27, 2010) -
    The recreational Fishing Alliance (RFA) is pleased to endorse Republican gubernatorial candidate Steve Abbott in Maine's primary election, to be held June 8th.
    "Steve is a native Mainer and a lifelong recreational fisherman who understands and appreciates the importance of salt water fishing, both as an economic engine for the state and our coastal communities, as well as its intrinsic value as an outdoor activity," said Capt. Barry Gibson, RFA's New England Regional Director. "Over 132,000 Maine residents fish in our salt waters annually, along with 150,000 non-resident anglers. Together they generate more than $180,000,000 in expenditures, sales, income, and state tax revenues. Plus, saltwater sport fishing supports over 1,000 jobs here in Maine. Its economic impact is truly significant."

Abbott, who grew up in Orono and graduated from Harvard with a degree in history, graduated from the University of Maine School of Law in 1991. He practiced law at Pierce Attwood, Maine's largest law firm, and for the past 12 years has served as Chief of Staff to U.S. Senator Susan Collins. He has been active in Maine Republican politics for the past 25 years.

"I'm honored to have this endorsement, because saltwater fishing is a tradition in my family - one that I'm continuing with my children. As a family, we enjoy our time together outdoors enjoying Maine's beautiful coastline," said Abbott. "In a larger sense, I see saltwater sport fishing as making a tremendous contribution to Maine's economy via tourism and the hospitality industry, not to mention its importance to marinas and other saltwater recreation businesses."

"The RFA believes that Steve, as governor, will carefully consider the impacts on recreational fishermen and the sport fishing industry when state-level fisheries decisions are contemplated," said Jim Hutchinson, Jr., RFA's Managing Director. "Maine is a major player in interstate and federal fisheries management, and the recreational sector needs strong representation at every step in the process. We are confident Steve will ensure that will happen."

About the Recreational Fishing Alliance
    The Recreational Fishing Alliance is a national grassroots political action organization that has been representing recreational fishermen and the sport fishing industry on marine fisheries issues since 1996. RFA's mission is to safequard the rights of saltwater anglers, protect marine, boat and tackle industry jobs, and to ensure the long-term sustainability of our nation's saltwater fisheries. For more information call 888-JOIN-RFA or visit www.joinrfa.org.

We need him in n.j.