Thread: Reviews and comments: Jigging and popping reels

Default Reviews and comments: Jigging and popping reels

These reels are rising to the forefront of tuna and striped bass fishing.

KilSong has started a site exclusively devoted to selling stuff like this, and the buzz over jigging and popping reels is reaching anglers who traditionally fished conventionals. They are trying to bring this info and learning to show anglers the quality that would be needed to put up with brutal, drag screaming runs. He mostly specializes in higher end stuff, and has been involved in offshore fishing for a number of years.

This is the first post in what may be a series of reviews of these reels.

There are also a series of lower end reels out there. Some of the reels may not be worth the low dollars or the hype. Some others may be a great value for people who don't fish much. One thing I've learned about reels over the years...if you buy cheap reels and use them hard they will blow up on you when it counts the most.

The object of the reviews is to post the positive and negative aspects of the reels, and be honest in your criticisms. If you want to criticize a particular reel and have personal experience using that reel, feel free.

Feel free to post up and add to this if you have any info.

Default Banax GS7, GS9 Series jigging and popping reels

This one was sent in by Rip-Plugger, thanks!

Retails for around $79, 7 ball bearings, power handle.
    2009 - 2010 models

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	banax_gs_l1.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	17.4 KB 
ID:	11367

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    This one was sent in by Rip-Plugger, thanks!

Retails for around $79, 7 ball bearings, power handle.
    2009 - 2010 models

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	banax_gs_l1.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	17.4 KB 
ID:	11367
    No offense

Been jigging tuna for over 25 years and past 5 with butterfly jigs and most of the reels we use now are in the $300 to $1000 dollars range. On the cheap side a $200 Shimano Saragossa.

I personally use a conventional ShimanoTalica 12 and have a Saltiga 40 as a back up.
    My jigging rod is 5'8" rated 65 to 200 pound braid and 6 to14 ounce jigs
    this set up was $750

A $79 reel is lucky to hold up to a year of hard bass fishing.
    Would never survive a tuna trip unless they were 27" schoolie yellow fin. Plus it has no line capacity.
    They don't even mention the drag capacity or gearing.

All good tuna jigging and popping reels need to be able to hold at least 400 yards of 65# braid and generate 30# pounds of drag.

Starter conventional set up will run a minimun of $350 to on the low end for rod and reel
    Starter spinner for jigging about $350 on the low end
    Starter pooping set up about $375 on the low end

Braid to fill these reels cost $100 or more
    Wind on leader $20 pop

PLus
    Butterfly jigs range $12 to $20 each
    Hooks for jig $7 for 3 you need 2 for each jig
    Owner 200 split rings $7 for 6 1 per jig
    Owner solid rings $7 for 6 1 per jig
    Poppers $25 to 40 bucks each

I know Kilsong and his power handles start at $150 he doesn't sell a reel or rod for under $400

Tight lines

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Default Banax and Pflueger

Rip's comments -

He sent me some comments about his experience with Pflueger reels, which are made by Banax:

Banax is a company that makes reels for MANY other name brands.
    Banax's name also means something as well.
    I forget what it means exactly right now but,I do know it has to do with
    science,earth/environment,nature or something very close to that. it is a
    mix of things that has made the Banax name.
    shakespeare is but one that has many reels made for them by Banax.

Personally,I own a pflueger Trion-66-L which was made by Banax.

it's smooth,fast and casts like a striped *** ape,it will get away from
    you if you sleep on it.

I have had mine for nearly 10 years now.
    it has given me no mech probs but,it can be a PITA if you slack on your
    thumbwork.

6 BB's and it came with a teflon drag that sucked as it was just too
    slick so,I swapped out the teflon washer and did up some carbon
    fibres,that was a huge improvement over the factory drag.

R-P

Heavy-Hooksetter

Default Higher end jigging and popping reels

Some of the higher end ones are:

Shimano Stella, 8000, 10000, or 20,000 series.
    The 20000 series is one of the most popular for tuna jigging.

Accurate twin spin, 2000 or 3000 series

Daiwa Saltiga 5000 and 6000 series

VS 275 and 300

Daiwa dogfight SA-Z 6500H

All have their merits and negative points. All at different price points. If you have anything to say about any of these, let's hear it.

Default Daiwa dogfight

retails for around $1100, sweet reel.

Daiwa DOGFIGHT Saltiga Z 6500HFD Spinning Reel- The Ultimate Japanese Jigging and Popping reel from Daiwa. The Daiwa DOGFIGHT harnesses these features:
    • 14 Ball Bearings and 1 Roller Bearing
    • 66 lbs Maximum Drag Pressure
    • 6.2:1 Gear Ratio
    • Machined Aluminum Alloy Body, Sideplate & Rotor
    • Daiwa DIGIGEAR Digital designed stainless steel and bronze gears
    • Dual Full Time Infinite Anti Reverse
    • Tough Air Bail Tubular Stainless Steel Bail
    • Water Resistant High Performance Graphite Drag
    • Forged Aluminum Spool with Titanium Lip
    • Double Supported Pinion System, Zero Friction Main Shaft
    • Manual Bail Return
    • Bail & Rotor Lock during casting
    • Machined One Piece Aluminum Handle
    • Drilled Round Power Knob

Default $

no offence to anyone here,

I hear from other guys here and even at my local B&T mention of dollars amounts and such.and such things tell us nothing at all.
    experience sure as hell does tell us whats what.
    fact is,one can do it for less!

as I remember a short amount of years ago SO many on another site said that ming-Yang reels would not last a week or that they blow apart on the cast.
    well,I like to find things out for myself.
    so,I bought one to see.it turns out that they really are not bad machines at all,actually better in some ways than many reels costing multiples of dollars more.

to keep this speech short.if you have knowledge and are adept you can do what others that don't know any better do for MUCH less,you just need to use your "edgeimication" and wit and you can find other ways to skin the very same cat.

ask them folks this,,,what did ya do before that gear was invented?

H-H
    Takes a Big Man to sling Big Wood,,,,boys sling plastic,,,,,,,

Wink rip-pluger

Quote Originally Posted by Rip-Plugger View Post
    no offence to anyone here,

I hear from other guys here and even at my local B&T mention of dollars amounts and such.and such things tell us nothing at all.
    experience sure as hell does tell us whats what.
    fact is,one can do it for less!

as I remember a short amount of years ago SO many on another site said that ming-Yang reels would not last a week or that they blow apart on the cast.
    well,I like to find things out for myself.
    so,I bought one to see.it turns out that they really are not bad machines at all,actually better in some ways than many reels costing multiples of dollars more.

to keep this speech short.if you have knowledge and are adept you can do what others that don't know any better do for MUCH less,you just need to use your "edgeimication" and wit and you can find other ways to skin the very same cat.

ask them folks this,,,what did ya do before that gear was invented?

H-H
    hey bro just like a lot of guys think its about the money cool if ya got it $$$$$ not in mybook its how it works. just got the OKUMA TRIO 55. i have a okuma av 40 reel its about 6years old dropped it on the rocks broke the handle called okuma to see how much
    the handle would be told the guy what i did he said its on its way
    now talk about sanding behind there reels i am not one for high end reels i use what works for me and i do not baby my stuff i put it to the test dont get me wrong guys if you got it so be it like i said high end is not for me i go for what works for me and last. i will let you know about the trio 55

Default munny,,,

Speedy,

you know the deal,if it works,it works.
    I remember asking a quetion about Tica reels[caimen] on another fishing site,I heard 20 say it was a decent reel.1 said it was junk and full of plastic.
    i bought one from my buddys bait shop for 45 bucks less than I found them other places.
    it was 3rd season before I decided to service it.

I opened it up and it was as clean as a wolfs tooth in there,no grunge or anything,,,oh yeah,there is 1 plastic part in there and on EVERY casting reel that has that part that I own,they are plastic.

It was the same with Ming-Yang reels,i heard so much ******** from those guys with the big heads that they are juk and to stay away from them.
    I'll tell ya what.I slammed big choppers and bass with mine and they are great.
    I will adimt that the CZH series are a weaker unit,they do work but will crap out and lose the AR if worked too hard.
    because of the crappy AR setup the newer version CL series as the old dog/ratchet and a large bearing on the crank.they really are a good deal and they simply work.
    now there is an even newer version out now with dual knobs,one on each side of the spool,so,now you can alter the spools center if you want/need.
    I am so glad I decide to find out for myself with hands on.

The old Shimano Corsair,the silver ones were junk,not for salt,then came the gold ones,they were nothing special except they work great cast far and I own 3 CS-301-A's with the oldest one at 14 years old,never blown up,never broke at all,the next 2 are 12 years old and as smooth as the day I bought them.actually the oldest one is my second one I ever bought,my firts is a shakespeare President-2-1981 engraved,though just for freshwater back then.
    so,,,the beat goes on,,,,

R-P
    Takes a Big Man to sling Big Wood,,,,boys sling plastic,,,,,,,