Thread: Junk fish, cooking and eating

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by SurfPlug View Post
    Interesting as I once try filleting the wings of the skate, but gave up trying to remove the bones. It is good to know there is a cookbook for dogfish
    You don't have to remove the bones, surfplug. If cooked the right way the meat just peels away from the few bones there are. As for dogfish, an old friend used to cook it. He bled them immediately after catching, and iced them down on the boat. The ammonia makes this step critical. That's not my cup of tea, although I have eaten skate wings. They can be very tasty if prepared the right way.

Thanks for the tip about skate as that is definitely a lot easier. I don't suppose you have to bleed skate as you would dogfish? I was just thinking that skate likewise part of the shark family or maybe I have it wrong.

I ate Dogfish afew times, and thought it was good. I would eat them again. Anyone ever eat a Sea Robin. I'm sure they make good soup.

A capt on a party boat long ago showed me how to take care of sea robins. He cuts off the head, guts it, and bakes the tail and body whole. Leave the skin on, just bake it as is.

If I ever get a big one, I'll take it home and eat it.

Sauteed and baked with spices, garlic, Italian dressing, baked on a tray at about 350 degrees. I would usually only cook a large one.

I ain't ashamed to say I've eaten them, and thank the party boat Capt for turning me on to them.

With the way fisheries management laws are going, in the future they might be the catch of the day!

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    A capt on a party boat long ago showed me how to take care of sea robins. He cuts off the head, guts it, and bakes the tail and body whole. Leave the skin on, just bake it as is.

If I ever get a big one, I'll take it home and eat it.

Sauteed and baked with spices, garlic, Italian dressing, baked on a tray at about 350 degrees. I would usually only cook a large one.

I ain't ashamed to say I've eaten them, and thank the party boat Capt for turning me on to them.

With the way fisheries management laws are going, in the future they might be the catch of the day!

Does it really taste like chicken as I have heard?

That's what I heard too. I never brought any home. I thought it would be too much work. I'll have to them a try.

Default Re: sea robins

Quote Originally Posted by SurfPlug View Post
    Does it really taste like chicken as I have heard?
    SurfPlug... to me, sea robin tails don't taste like chicken. They taste a little like sea bass, maybe a little stronger. It also depends on how you cook them.

Default windowpanes

Did anyone ever eat windowpanes, the very skinny flounder you catch in the fall? I never tried them, it looks like there would not be enough meat there.

Mike O, this post is for you. Hope it works.