Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Junk fish, cooking and eating

Default Junk fish, cooking and eating

With the way the regulations are going, maybe soon that's all we will be able to catch. I found this looking for how to cook a skate. Does anyone else eat "junk fish" and how do you prepare them?

Dogfish and Skate
    Long Island, New York

On Long Island dogfish and skate are generally thought of as junk. They ruin the fisherman’s day and are thrown back in disgust. Because these fish are meaty, tasty, and boneless they are actually very good to eat and really don’t deserve their junk status.
    If we had a better appreciation for these fish we’d have more fun, have more to eat, and there would be less pressure on more traditionally targeted species like flounder and fluke.
    Fishing regulations on Long Island get tougher every year, and there are increasingly more bad fishing days than good. In light of these ever increasing restrictions on popular game and food fish I’d like to suggest something that might make a bad day fishing a little better: Keep and eat your junk fish.
    I can hear the moans already. Sure, landing a skate is just not the same as pulling in a doormat or a nice size striper, but going home empty handed is no fun either. It turns out that two of the most annoying fish around, dogfish and skate, are very good eating. If that’s all you’re catching why not bring them home and cook ’em up?
    Stick with me on this…
    Skate is one of the ugliest fish you’ll ever catch on Long Island. Most people throw them right back into the water, but I keep them. They’re good eating and if you put them on top of your head they’ll wrap their wings around your ears like a bomber’s hat.

My son Joe holding a skate. I wanted him to put it on his head, but he was worried it would mess up his hair.
    I don’t wear my skate hat much, but I do eat them when I catch them. The meat is tender, tasty, and there are no bones to fuss with, just a thin layer of cartilage separating the muscles in their wings.
    Before we go any further let me tell you that sea scallops do not come from skate. It’s myth that many have heard, but is absolutely false. You can see from the pictures here that the muscle fibers in the skate wing are completely different than those in a sea scallop. There’s no way one could pass for the other. And the flavor is different too. Enough said.
    Dogfish (some people call them sand sharks) are in the same boat as the skates. There are lots of them on Long Island and when they’re around that’s all you can catch. And who wants to catch something you can’t eat anyway? But you can eat them.

A decent size dogfish.
    If you’re having doubts about this just keep in mind that almost all of the fish & chips consumed in England today is dogfish. This dish is traditionally made with cod, but when cod became scarce in the 1990’s dogfish was found to be an excellent substitute.
    There are 2 varieties you’re likely to catch: spiny dogfish and smooth. The spiny version has 2 painfully sharp spines near each dorsal fin. As you might have guessed the smooth has no spines. I eat both, but since I’ve never done a side-by-side taste test I couldn’t really say which I like better.
    Like skate there are no bones in dogfish, just a piece of cartilage that is very easy to remove after the fish is cooked.
    Preparation of these fish is simple, but you must do it soon after it’s caught or the fish will start to smell like ammonia. Your best bet is to clean them as soon as you catch them or as soon as you get back to the dock.
    Cut the wings off your skate and either throw the rest away or save it for bait. Kill the skate first if you like by piercing the brain with a sharp knife.

There's no other meat to speak of, so just cut the wings off.
    Once the wings are off they have to be skinned. Use a very sharp knife to cut between the skin and the meat, or use pliers to pull the skin off. It’s a tedious process, but gets easier with a little practice.
    A skinned wing. You'll get 2 of these from each skate.
    Dogfish are a little simpler. Just gut and skin. Some people drain the blood, but I haven’t tried that myself, so I can’t speak for its effectiveness.
    Once your fish is prepped you can cook them according to your favorite recipe. I like to bake mine on a bed of plain bread crumbs moistened with good olive oil and seasoned with a little Parmesan cheese. But these are a versatile fish, so cook them however you like.
    Before you cook however, there is one extremely important thing that must be done:
    The flesh of fish in the shark family contains a small amount of urea as a byproduct of protein metabolism. If cooked or stored the urea will release ammonia causing an unpleasant smell.
    To solve this problem you must marinate the fish for at least 4 hours (overnight is best) in a simple solution of lemon juice and water. Place the fish steaks or fillets in a shallow dish and add just enough cold water to cover. Add 1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice or 1 tablespoon of cider vinegar for every pound of fish. Other vinegars will work as well used in the same proportion as the cider vinegar.
    You can use orange juice if you like, but since it is less acidic than lemon use 2 tablespoons for every pound of fish. Don’t afraid to experiment with different marinades. As long as they are acidic they’ll do the trick.
    Once the fish has been marinated just cook according to your favorite recipe. I highly recommend [ame="http://www.amazon.com/dogfish-cookbook-Russ-Mohney/dp/0914718134"]The Dogfish Cookbook[/ame] by Russ Mohney for a boat load of recipes that work for either dogfish or skate.
    See how easily the cartilage peels away from the meat. Also note the long muscle fibers. Sea scallops don't look anything like this.

Dogfish on a bed of bread crumbs ready for the oven. Cover with foil first.
    So there you have it. These fish are plentiful on Long Island, good eating, and easy to prepare. Now if they were only good fighters too. But hey, nothing is perfect.

Check out garbagefish.com

Interesting as I once try filleting the wings of the skate, but gave up trying to remove the bones. It is good to know there is a cookbook for dogfish

Quote Originally Posted by SurfPlug View Post
    Interesting as I once try filleting the wings of the skate, but gave up trying to remove the bones. It is good to know there is a cookbook for dogfish
    You don't have to remove the bones, surfplug. If cooked the right way the meat just peels away from the few bones there are. As for dogfish, an old friend used to cook it. He bled them immediately after catching, and iced them down on the boat. The ammonia makes this step critical. That's not my cup of tea, although I have eaten skate wings. They can be very tasty if prepared the right way.

Thanks for the tip about skate as that is definitely a lot easier. I don't suppose you have to bleed skate as you would dogfish? I was just thinking that skate likewise part of the shark family or maybe I have it wrong.

I ate Dogfish afew times, and thought it was good. I would eat them again. Anyone ever eat a Sea Robin. I'm sure they make good soup.

A capt on a party boat long ago showed me how to take care of sea robins. He cuts off the head, guts it, and bakes the tail and body whole. Leave the skin on, just bake it as is.

If I ever get a big one, I'll take it home and eat it.

Sauteed and baked with spices, garlic, Italian dressing, baked on a tray at about 350 degrees. I would usually only cook a large one.

I ain't ashamed to say I've eaten them, and thank the party boat Capt for turning me on to them.

With the way fisheries management laws are going, in the future they might be the catch of the day!

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    A capt on a party boat long ago showed me how to take care of sea robins. He cuts off the head, guts it, and bakes the tail and body whole. Leave the skin on, just bake it as is.

If I ever get a big one, I'll take it home and eat it.

Sauteed and baked with spices, garlic, Italian dressing, baked on a tray at about 350 degrees. I would usually only cook a large one.

I ain't ashamed to say I've eaten them, and thank the party boat Capt for turning me on to them.

With the way fisheries management laws are going, in the future they might be the catch of the day!

Does it really taste like chicken as I have heard?

That's what I heard too. I never brought any home. I thought it would be too much work. I'll have to them a try.

Default Re: sea robins

Quote Originally Posted by SurfPlug View Post
    Does it really taste like chicken as I have heard?
    SurfPlug... to me, sea robin tails don't taste like chicken. They taste a little like sea bass, maybe a little stronger. It also depends on how you cook them.

Default windowpanes

Did anyone ever eat windowpanes, the very skinny flounder you catch in the fall? I never tried them, it looks like there would not be enough meat there.

Quote Originally Posted by porgy75 View Post
    Did anyone ever eat windowpanes, the very skinny flounder you catch in the fall? I never tried them, it looks like there would not be enough meat there.
    I had always thought that window panes or sundials had little meat. They don't get thick like fluke or winter flounder.

Default recipe for skate wings

Pan-fried Skate Wings with Capers
    4 servings

Cut the wings off the skate soon after landing it and keep them cool as the flesh is very perishable. Rinse the wings off when you get them home and soak them for a couple hours in a mixture of water to cover them with a couple tablespoons of lemon juice added to it. Pat them dry and put them back in the fridge for a couple days to age. The aging supposedly improves the flavor of the flesh.

Ingredients:
    4 boneless, skinless skate wings
    (about 1-1/2 pounds total)
    1/2 cup milk
    Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
    4 tablespoons all-purpose flour for dredging
    3 tablespoons vegetable or corn oil
    4 tablespoons butter
    1/2 cup sweet red peppers,
    cut into 1/4 inch cubes
    1/3 cup drained capers
    2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
    1 tablespoons red wine vinegar
    4 tablespoons finely chopped parsley

1. Put the skate fillets in a dish large enough to hold them in one layer. Pour the milk over them and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Turn the fillets in the milk so they are coated on both sides.

2. Scatter the flour over a large dish. Lightly dredge the fillets on both sides in the flour.

3. Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high setting. When the oil is hot but not smoking, add the fillets. If it is necessary to do this in two batches, use the same oil. Sauté on one side until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Turn and cook on the other side until golden brown, about 3 minutes more. When the fillets are done, transfer them to a warm platter or serving plate.

4. Wipe out the pan with a paper towel and return it to the heat. Melt the butter and add the red peppers, shaking the pan frequently until the butter turns light brown. Add the capers, cook briefly, and add the shallots, vinegar, and parsley. Cook briefly then stir and pour the sauce over each fillet evenly. Serve immediately.

Here is a recipe for skate wings I just found -

Skate wings seared in blackened butter is a chef's special in many finer restaurants.

Removing wings from a skate (or ray) is fairly easy. The trick it to cut around the hard cartiage that runs down a skate's back, acting a lot like a topside shield, protecting the animal's internal organs.

Wearing gloves, use your thumb to feel for the topside shield. Thumb along the hard area from head to tail. You'll feel the shield widens about 1/2 way down to the tip of the tail. Knowing that hard zone allows for easy cleaning.

Skates can be a ***** to hold -- due to sliminess -- so getting a super good grip is essential -- and yet another trick to quickly cleaning one. Gloves are kinda indispensable. Also, you'll need a fiercely sharp fillet knife. Hopefully you've mastered sharpening a blade, including the essential leather stroping to reach razorish edging.

Placing a skate on a flat hard surface to clean is standard procedure. Give it a go to learn the fish's layout. Jam the blade in the wing just just past the gill plate. Cut toward the tail. Again, cut the wing off as close to the hard area as possible. The removed wing should have a slightly rounded shape where the cut wrapped around the area where the shield was widest.
    I prefer holding the skate wing firmly in my left hand and carving off the wing with my knife hand (I'm a rightie), following the path of least resistance, i.e. along the shield. Hand-holding the skate this way actually allows the knife blade to more naturally follow the line of the back shield.

A little practice will allow the cleaning of a slew of skate. And you do need a few if you intend on filleting the removed wings. Perish the thought. You'll get twice the meat by simply skinning the wings and cooking them. Then, either fork off the meat as you eat or scrap off the meat and serve atop rice.

Mike O, this post is for you. Hope it works.

Eating skates, ok.
    Dogfish, no thanks!

They found a way to cook lionfish, check out this article,

Chef Kerry Heffernan is nevertheless up to the task. The fish arrives whole but stripped of its nearly 20 toxic barbs. Heffernan knifes it up, dredges the plump, white fillets in Wondra flour (it has less gluten and produces a crispier coating) and sears them in grapeseed oil. The fish is then plated with wilted pea shoots, brown butter sauce and garlic scapes (the edible sprouts of immature garlic) and served to a room of judges: other chefs, media types, and officials from Food & Water Watch, an international nonprofit organization that works to improve the safety and quality of food and water.

http://www.nj.com/homegarden/index.s...e_species.html

How to cook cow nosed rays, found this on the internet

1) Cut the wings off the still flapping ray. There will be ALOT of blood.

2) Chill wings.

3) Fillet meat off center tendon, skin, and Cut into manageable chunks.

4) Soak in a light brine, in the fridge for at least 12 hours. Change brine if it appears bloody.

5) Soak in milk for ~8 hours. (optional)

6) Marinate in Italian Dressing, or your favorite ready made marinade.

7) Grill...until done.

8) Meat will not be fishy, and will have the consistency of Pork.

Thannks for that seamonkey. I got spooled a few days ago jigging peanut bunker on a bucktail. Maybe I will cut the wings off the next cownose I bring in, and do my part to rid the area of these bastids.

Default Re: Junk fish, cooking and eating

bababooeys post got me to thinking if folks would eat lionfish. Found some recipes on lionfish.org

PACIFIC GRILLED

Lionfish meat
    Sea Salt

Olive Oil
    Calamnsi Juice or Lime

Chillies

Soy Sauce

Preparation:

Briefly marinate lionfish filets in calamnsi juice (or lime) and salt. Make a dip by crushing 3 mild chillies in soy sauce and calamansi juice (or lime).
    Cooking:

Flash grill in hot pan with olive oil or serve as ceviche.
    Serve with sticky rice, grilled vegetables and mango chutney on the side. Eat with chop sticks.

Submitted b
    LIONFISH TACO

Lionfish meat Spicy Pico de Gallo

or Hard Taco Shells Black Beans

live Oil Shredded Cheese

ckened Seasoning Sour Cream

Shredded Lettuce

Preparation:

U soft flour or crunchy corn tortillas. Spice Lionfish Filets with blackened seasoning.

Cooking:

Sear on a hot pan with olive oil. Place Lionfish in tortilla.

Add shredded lettuce, home made spicy pico de gallo, warmed black beans, shredded cheese, top with sour cream

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast