Thread: Fishing Line - Suggestions

Default Fishing Line - Suggestions

Hey Everyone.

I've been a mono user forever, but thinking about using new types of lines? Any suggestions? What's worked for you in the surf?

I use powerpro braid which has given me great performance over the years. Just remember to be careful when closing the bail. Sometimes the braid gets looped and you end up with knot.
    I usually reel it in between my fingers and that seems to make a difference.

2nd on the powerpro. I use it when fishing plugs, and mono for bait fishing. Albany guy will you be doing a combination of that, or do you prefer one type of fishing over the other?

I use both PowerPro and Fireline. I love both of them. Fireline is more forgiving on non braid friendly reel like the Penn spinfisher series reels. The line dia. are real thin and will slice you if you try to pull a fish by pulling the line. Since I used Power pro I never looked at Mono again. that was over 8 yrs ago.

Power Pro or Sufix braid in moss green for me. 30 lb.
    All I do is plug.
    Have gotten a "bad" batch of Power Pro, but still use it (threw away bad spool).
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Default PP

Have used Power Pro 30lb. for quite a few years. Gets the job done for plugging. No complaints.

i go with sufix tri 17 lb i dont have a need for braid in the jersey surf

thanks guys,

i mostly plug - sometimes bait. I like the idea of using mono for bait and something like braid for plugging.

Couple more q's on the braided lines:
    - are they best wound on the spool by a tackle shop, or is it easy to do yourself;
    -do they last awhile?
    -What kind of knots do the braided lines accommodate best?

Your going to get a hundred different answers personally for me I felt the Suffix was the best all around performer so far, I also liked the spiderwire stealth I still change it every year sometimes twice.All will fray and should be cut back when that happens they are very strong lines and will cut you real good you should use a mono backer on the reel and then tie in the braid to the mono using a uni to uni connection.I think we had a good discussion on braided lines if you do a search.