Aaron Buscher reeled in this 337 pound halibut which dwarfed other catches that day in Alaska

Man Tells Whale Of A Tale About Huge Halibut

CONIFER, Colo. (CBS) ―
1 of 1
Aaron Buscher reeled in this 337 pound halibut which dwarfed other catches that day in Alaska.
A man from Conifer is leading a big money fishing derby in Alaska, and many expect him to reel in the grand prize. Aaron Buscher isn't embellishing when he explains just how big his catch really was. He reeled in a 337 pound halibut with the help of the "Crackerjack Voyager" crew working out of Seward, Alaska.

"Well, this is what I call a catch of a lifetime," said Buscher. "It was very intense."

There's even a special name for fish this size.

"A lot of people call them barn doors, pool tables. It was definitely like trying to pull something like that off the ocean floor," said Buscher.

Buscher was afraid he wouldn't be able to reel up the huge fish since he was fishing with a 50 pound test line.

"In the back of my mind, I was thinking I've got way too much fish for what I'm fishing with here," said Buscher.

The battle lasted 45 minutes, but Buscher said it felt more like five hours.

"Everything held up for me and I was real impressed," said Buscher.

The trip was his first for halibut. Now, his catch fills his home freezer.

"A lot of fish tacos, fish sandwiches, barbeque fish, you name it," said Buscher.

He plans to cook his catch with a brand new smoker given to him as a Fathers Day gift.

Buscher's catch of a lifetime is the leading entry in a halibut derby.

"Second place is 203 pounds, so I've got a significant lead there," said Buscher.

He hopes the prize money will help pay for his trip. He finds out July 11 if he gets to pocket the $10,000 prize.

Buscher plans to mount the halibut's 3-foot-wide tail as a trophy.

http://cbs5.com/watercooler/halibut....2.1759276.html