Quote Originally Posted by surfwalker View Post
, but it seems to me the surrounding population dictates our access there, and they would rather us not be there. I got tired back then of constantly showing my driver's license, so I never went back. I never felt good about giving in, still bothers me today.

As far as people wandering into areas they shouldn't be, well, what are ya gonna do, some people just never learn.

Thanks for that, Surfwalker.

There are some there and in the border areas of Long Branch that still don't welcome fishermen, but it's understandable now that I hear it from both sides.
The recent incident where someone took a dump by the cabanas at Allenhurst, the disrespectful behavior of a small few each spring parking in a frenzy when the fish come in...

I completely sympathize with homeowners who don't want us there....and their reasons for feeling that way.

With each incident of selfishness or careless disprespect, it becomes harder and harder for me to unilaterally support the rights of all fishermen to fish these areas. We are our own worst enemies sometimes. Additionally, when we lose access, we do not have the collective committment to have a massive gathering and protest, like Finchaser and some of the fishing clubs did in the 70's.

Or threaten a lawsuit, like a good friend who hooked up with Surfrider threatened the town of Loch Arbor and Long Branch with to gain access for surfers.
I believe that was in the 80's.