Thread: How do you boat people cope with the heat?

Default How do you boat people cope with the heat?

I'm talking about the smaller boats, not one well equipped. I’ve been out on some no cover boats in the summer and I just couldn’t take the heat. Between the sun beating down and the reflection off the water, it was just brutal. No matter how much screen I put on or the many gallons of water I drank, it was just not fun, could hardly wait to get in.

So how do you guys with an open boat, no cover/relief do it.

We leave the inlet 5:30 come in by noon

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

it certainly is not easy. we usually leave the dock by 6 and sometimes back by 12. Other times we are back by 230 and then i have to clean the boat. Drink lots of water and gatorade. Eat and try at times to be out of the direct sun. I work on a couple so i have no choice. It's rough I'll tell you that. Especially when you get back to the dock out of the ocean breeze and the temp is 10 - 20 degees hotter. Then the sweat sets in.
    "Don't be shy, give it a try"

try being up on a 40' ladder all day w/ the sun reflecting off the siding...

i'm melting i'm melting!

(102 here yesterday)

What most of the others said here -

Don't go out in the bay with triple digit temps when there is no breeze forecast.
    If you do go out on a hot day, get a pre-dawn start, and try to be done by mid morning. You should coordinate a trip like this with a good moving tide.
    Or fish offshore. If all else fails, have a big cooler of frosty adult beverages back at the barn.