Thread: Oh Yeah

Default Oh Yeah

Nice tides comin up, new moon, middle of the night, and the weather forecast is looking good. Aint gonna be a lot of sleep from Sunday to Wednesday. There has been a lot of Activity lately as well. Active top water feeds with decent sized fish in the mix.
    Who wants to fish Rhodie, It would be a good time to roll the dice and fill the tank.
    If you have a bike, I can put a rod or two in the carriers on mine.
    I am really feeling it for some large..........................

I love fishing the new moon, and the week after. I think they call that waning gibbous? Don't have a bike though. I did see your report, you guys are getting into some pigs up there, keep em coming!

I'm making the rounds of the LI Sound the next few weeks, Ed,
    Am trying for trips of 100mi or less, sometimes much less, as I would rather fit as many trips as possible on a limited budget.
    I hope I can make it up there this time.

A friend who lives to fish says that many of the guys he knows have packed it in till the fall. Not many want to work to find fish anymore. Shame, ain't it?

But there are still some who are drawn to the fish, they can hear them calling them at night. Some might think that's crazy, others understand. I think you're one of the "others", Ed, you can hear those fish calling you at night. I fit in that category too.

With a little luck and planning, I may be able to make it up there sometime this month.

I try to tell people that..................... I can actually smell them. It may have something to do with fish feeding on bait, the blood in the water, I'm not sure why, but yeah they do seem to call me, and a ot of times I do believe I can smell them as well.
    I never understood, or understand how or why some will give up a big part of the season when there are fish to be had.
    Better for us, less crowded......................

Quote Originally Posted by JustEd View Post
    I never understood, or understand how or why some will give up a big part of the season when there are fish to be had.
    Better for us, less crowded......................

Because a lot of guys out there don't want to work for their fish, Ed.
    Even some of the yakkers I know, I met a guy in June in NJ who said he started yak fishing when the blitz fishing started a few years ago. He said he must be spoiled because that's the only yak fishing he did, during the blitzes. He couldn't imagine going out there if it wasn't to paddle in the middle of the big bass on bunker.

I realize that statement is a little extreme, but those were his words....and there are plenty of other guys around like that,,,,,they'll fish 2 or 3 times, get no fish, and decide they want to wait till the reports say they're bangin them again....

like you said, lots of room out there now....usually the only company I have is shorebirds, and the stready hum of the big ships out there mid-Sound at night. Sometimes ya can't even see the ships, just the dark shapes as they roll by silently, except for the hum of the engines......sweet sounds....to me, anyway...

You guys have to understand how lousy it gets at certain places in the summer. Fluke and crabs are the best game in town. I wills start getting bass in Sept by drifitng some of the gsb bridges but until then it seems not worth it. Even fluke, at 20.5" it seems criminal when you catch a 20.25" fluke and throw it back that is a lot of meat! I don't want any hassles from the Dec so I throw back all fluke that are even slightly short.. We did get some nice bass in June off FI, but now it seems there is a period where everything is baking under the sun. I have seen tons of bait in the back marinas but nothing on them.
    I envy you guys who live up north, it seems you get the best of the summer and don't get into too many dry spells.

I am heading out early in the morning to try to get some of those fluke. Guy at work caught one at 26" last weekend, out on his boat.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    Because a lot of guys out there don't want to work for their fish, Ed.
    Even some of the yakkers I know, I met a guy in June in NJ who said he started yak fishing when the blitz fishing started a few years ago. He said he must be spoiled because that's the only yak fishing he did, during the blitzes. He couldn't imagine going out there if it wasn't to paddle in the middle of the big bass on bunker.

I realize that statement is a little extreme, but those were his words....and there are plenty of other guys around like that,,,,,they'll fish 2 or 3 times, get no fish, and decide they want to wait till the reports say they're bangin them again....

like you said, lots of room out there now....usually the only company I have is shorebirds, and the stready hum of the big ships out there mid-Sound at night. Sometimes ya can't even see the ships, just the dark shapes as they roll by silently, except for the hum of the engines......sweet sounds....to me, anyway...
    IMO I think it's because allot of guys want to catch fish that are good to eat (fluke and tuna) and they only get a few months to do it. Plus this is one of the best beach fluke seasons in years.

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again