Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Jimmy Fund walk to beat cancer

Default The Jimmy Fund walk to beat cancer

I hope this is okay to post here. If not my apologies and I will remove.

For the last 15 years my Dad has been an active participant in the “Boston Marathon--Jimmy Fund Walk”. Unfortunately my Dad will be unable to participate this year as he has in the past. But I am happy to say that the legacy he started will be continued by his family. Myself, along with my 2 sisters, my wife and our kids, nieces and nephews are stepping up and taking his place. We have formed a team called “TEAM SPIRIT” and we are looking for sponsors to help us reach our goals. By sponsoring us you will be contributing directly to the Jimmy Fund and the Dana Farber Cancer Institute. The Institute is a leading pioneer in developing and implementing innovative and effective cancer therapies for children and adults. Virtually 100% of all monies raised goes directly to Dana Farber and cancer research. Great strides have been made in recent years and with continued research it is possible that within our lifetime we could see cures developed for this dreaded disease in all its forms.

I have seen the devastating effects cancer can have on its victims and their families and loved ones. My grandmother succumbed to throat cancer at the young age of 57. My grandfather to lung cancer which took him slowly and piece by piece. First an arm, then 2 years later a leg, and then a year later he passed away. My mom is a survivor of thyroid cancer from which she has made a complete recovery. My Dad has had skin cancer which has not re-occurred thankfully. There are too many people to list but I have seen many friends and families affected with various forms of cancer. At some point in our lives all of us have been, or will be, affected by cancer. Cancer has no prejudice. It attacks infants, teens, adults and seniors, all races, religions and sexes. It does not care if the economy is weak or strong or whether you are rich or poor.

So, on Sept 12th my family and I will join thousands of others and walk the Boston Marathon route from Hopkinton to Boston, 26.2 miles. We do this in memory and honor of our own loved ones and to support those who are currently battling to survive. I am asking you to support me in this endeavor by making a donation to the Jimmy Fund. All donations should be made payable to “The Jimmy Fund” or “BMJFW” (Boston Marathon Jimmy Fund Walk) and mail them to me at...PM me for the mailing address. OR you can go to this link online

http://www.jimmyfundwalk.org/faf/sea...m=3870239&cj=Y

This link you can copy and paste into your computer’s browser and it will take you directly to the “TEAM SPIRIT” page where you can then click on my name and make a donation in any amount. If you send the check to me make sure to include your name and address so that I can send you my follow up letter detailing the events happenings. My individual goal is to raise at least $2,500.

For you guys that know me you know I am not the picture of health. I am a 50 year old overweight father of 4 and a grandfather. This will be a huge undertaking for me but one that I am committed to do. For those that know me you know that when I commit to do something then I go in all the way. As my good friend Ed would say I don't do anything "half-assed".

I started my training for this last night. I walked 6 miles in approx 2 hours. This morning I was pretty sore. Tonight will be a lighter walk going 3 miles. This will be my training regimen for the next 5 weeks and trying to gradually build up my distances. At this pace it will take me approx 9 hours to complete this walk, plus any other time added to stop for bathroom breaks, etc.

To show my seriousness I will offer up an Al Gags 3 oz 7" Sea Special ( pic below ) to any SnA member who donates $50 or more. Please make sure to include your SnA member name in the memo section of your check so that I can put your name in the hat. The day after the walk I will put all the donors names into a hat and pull a winner. For every $10 above the initial $50 minimum I will give you an additional name in the hat. ( Example $50 = 1 chance, $60 = 2 chances, $70 = 3, etc ). If you make your donation through the online mechanism please pm me your info so that I can include you.

Additionally if you would like me to include your loved one in my walk please send me a picture with their name and/or a letter detailing their experience. I will be carrying all of these with me for inspiration and to honor them. It is through their strength and courage that I will be drawing upon to complete this daunting task. Please do not send me cash, checks only. And of course if any of you would like to participate I would love to have you join me for the walk

I wish I had some things to auction but my collection is very small and limited. If this site would let me I would like to auction off donated items if any one would prefer to donate items rather than money, but I don't want to overstep my welcome here.

Thanks for reading this lengthy post and for considering making a donation to a very worthwhile cause.

Tight Lines
    John

Enjoy the Journey

What a worthy cause. My sister died of cancer last year. I now donate once a month to St. Judes Childrens Hospital in her memory.

I hope that some day soon they find a cure. What people go through and the strength they have is unbelievable. You and your family are doing a great thing. I wish you lots of success and thank you for walking for such a worthy cause.

Please PM your address so I can make a donation.

Please PM your address so I can make a donation.

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

pm's sent

Thank you so much!!!
    Enjoy the Journey

Pebbles if you don't mind would you also include a picture of your sister so that I can carry it on my walk? If you don't have one to spare then perhaps a note about your sister instead?

Thanks again
    John
    Enjoy the Journey

Donation sent

Hey John, Pebbles and I are going in together on a donation.

Good luck with the training, and the walk.

I think it's fantastic that you're carrying on the tradition that your Dad started, he must be real proud.
    Keep up the good work, we'll be rootin for ya!

Looks like a good cause I'll check out the link.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    Hey John, Pebbles and I are going in together on a donation.

Good luck with the training, and the walk.

I think it's fantastic that you're carrying on the tradition that your Dad started, he must be real proud.
    Keep up the good work, we'll be rootin for ya!
    Thank you very much
    Enjoy the Journey

Quote Originally Posted by jigfreak View Post
    Looks like a good cause I'll check out the link.
    Thanks jigfreak. For those that don't know the Jimmy Fund they are a huge part of New England in raising money for cancer research. Very intwined forever with the Boston Red Sox. The Dana Farber cancer institute is among the best, if not the best, in cancer research and implementation.

I also called the walk director and found out that 88 cents out of every dollar donated goes to this fund. 12 cents covers the costs of organizing and running the event. That's a very good ratio. Many fundraising organizations are about a 65/35 split.

Thanks for checking it out. Let me know if you have any questions and I'll do my best to answer them
    Enjoy the Journey

Good mojo to you doublerunner.

Good luck!

Thank you very much. Did another 3.5 mile training walk this morning. 18 miles in for this week. Next week I step it up a little bit
    Enjoy the Journey

Started week 2 of training today. Up at 4:30 and did 7.5 miles in 2 hours. Feeling stronger but my feet are killing me
    Enjoy the Journey

Finchaser I received your check today. Thank you very much for your generous donation.
    Enjoy the Journey

Quote Originally Posted by Doublerunner View Post
    Finchaser I received your check today. Thank you very much for your generous donation.
    Your very welcome, it's nothing compared to what you and your family do

Kim and Rich, thank you very much for your very generous donation. Just to let you know you made out the check to me but I will sign it over to The Jimmy Fund. Kim I got the picture of Tamra and I have tears in my eyes as I write this. She was born the same year as I and this is a great picture of her. I am placing her picture right next to that of Claire Johnson. Claire was my Mom's best friend who passed earlier this year to cancer. Claire had cancer for as long as my Mom can remember. There were times when it went into remission only to re-surface later. The amazing thing is she never complained. Last summer she came to my house to be a part of my parents 50th wedding anniversary party. She was in treatment and was stage 4 at the time and you knew she was weak but she would never let it show. She played ping pong and volleyball with my teenage kids and doted on her husband and was always concerned with how everyone else was doing...never wanting to draw attention to her. An amazing person. As I am sure your sister was.

I have stepped up my training for the marathon this week as promised. So far this week I am at 23 miles....already 5 ahead of last week and I am planning a 7 - 8 mile walk tomorrow morning. I did 4 miles this morning at 4:30 and I hardly felt it. I've dropped 6 pounds thus far and am feeling stronger. I am starting to feel like I may be able to walk the whole marathon route 26.2 miles barring any unforseen injuries.

I really hope I get to meet you and Rich some day

Sincerely
    John
    Enjoy the Journey

Way to go, guy.

Thanks brother. I finished this week's training at 33 miles. That does not include walking 9 holes of golf carrying my bag. Maybe I shoulda worn my korkers too although the course might have frowned upon those spikes

Taking today off to rest the bones. Back at it tomorrow

4 more weeks 'til THE day...
    Enjoy the Journey

Keep up the great work, John. Feel free to let us know any time you want to come down to NJ for some fishin, you're always welcome.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast