Page 1 of 39 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Dead stuff found while fishing (beware gross picture)

Default Big Dead Fish

I have found 3 dead, decayed bass in an area that I have not seen dead bass before. One each of the past 3 weeks. One about 30 inches, another huge, 50 inches and FAT, the other mid 40 inches at least. Fished same areas for years and never remember seeing them before. Anyone else notice more dead bass this year? Was bay side.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Pretty common when it's hot people don't have coolers or ice ,fish go bad,they take a picture and dis-guard the fish. All the marina's by me got fed up with it and now don't allow throwing any fish or parts in water ,they must be bagged and put in a dumpster. Many people also realize the bigger fish are not really great to eat so after the tackle shop picture they dump the fish. Pretending to forget the fish and leaving them on the dock after a picture is also becoming an issue. Welcome to the new generation of bass fishermen.

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Could be night time bunker raids tight to the beach and they beach themselves seen that several times in a spring spot I fished although fin probably has a more accurate description.

If you have no cooloer or bags or ice to bring them home then THROW THEM BACK. They should be practicing catch and release with the big girls anyhow.

I'll never understand how people can waste a fish like that. Hey if you want to eat it, that's fine, but throwing away a big breeder because you didn't think about how you were going to ice it down is awesomely selfish.

Quote Originally Posted by seamonkey View Post
    I'll never understand how people can waste a fish like that. Hey if you want to eat it, that's fine, but throwing away a big breeder because you didn't think about how you were going to ice it down is awesomely selfish.
    Its really unthinkable what some people do, did not see any dead bass today (first time after the 3 straight weeks). Was wading out ocean side around 2:00 AM and noticed a bunker between my legs. I moved 10 feet and it pretty much followed me. Would not leave me for 15 minutes. Finally I reached down and grabbed it. It was dead, with hook and line that wrapped my wader foot.
    Story has nothing to do with thread, except the bunker was dead.

Quote Originally Posted by seamonkey View Post
    What he said, the waste of fish is shameful.

Default dead bunker

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    It was dead, with hook and line that wrapped my wader foot.
    Story has nothing to do with thread, except the bunker was dead.
    Sorry Monty, no offense intended. Your post put the line from pulp fiction in my head.

Zeds dead.
    Awesome scene.

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    Sorry Monty, no offense intended. Your post put the line from pulp fiction in my head.

The gill netters and bunker netters do that too. I have seen a line of dead bass up to a mile long, bass 15-25 lbs, all floating dead, after the bunker boats come through. I think there is a thread called 4 miles of dead bass on this site as well. Like you, it makes me sick to see it.

Default dead bass

Some pics I took in the middle of june. It's hard to tell because of the decomposition but the bass had a huge gut, maybe about 25lbs or better. Laying on the beach a week after a bunker snagging orgy.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic73.JPG 
Views:	3 
Size:	62.3 KB 
ID:	11705

Name:	pic72.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	11706

Default Dead stuff found while fishing (beware gross picture)

I have been fishing salt water off and on for 15 years (last 4 normally on the water a minimum 1x per week April to December). Fishing a few spots so I get familiar with them.
    Over the previous years I have "found/noticed" one or two dead stripers and the same for blues. A few years back I saw a dead sturgeon, 3:00 AM one time found half a deer on the water line on a beach. Lots of dead sea robins, a few skates (hate it when people kill for no reason).
    This year has been different for me. Its only half way over and I have "found/noticed" three dead stripers and a dolphin.
    One of the stripers I am thinking was close to 50 inches, another 40 and the other around 32". The Dolphin had to be at least 8 feet long. I have no idea how the stripers died, but the dolphin had a huge piece of meat displaced and I am guessing propeller maybe.
    Sucks seeing dead things out there.
    Added a pic of one of our cats so there is a little cuteness in this post (cat still alive).

Name:	2010_8_8_dead_Dolphin_1.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	11893

Name:	2010_8_8_dead_Dolphin_2.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	11894

Name:	2010_6_13_dead_Striper_50_inches.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	106.1 KB 
ID:	11895

Name:	2010_6_120_dead_Striper_40_inches.jpg 
Size:	104.8 KB 
ID:	11896

Name:	2010_6_6_dead_Striper_1.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	102.5 KB 
ID:	11897

Name:	2010cute_cat_dasha.jpg 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	11898
    Last edited by Monty; 08-08-2010 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Clarify that cat is still alive

monty nice looken kitty

Yep Monty that definitely looks like a prop slice to the dolphin, sad to see.

Pebbles and I found a sea turtle with a prop slice last year, I'll link that video to this thread.

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ght=sea+turtle

Quote Originally Posted by speedy View Post
    monty nice looken kitty
    Thanks,
    Cats are great.

Finding that dead dolphin was a bummer, bummed me out for a good hour out there, felt bad for it, actually stopped fishing for a good 30 minutes.
    Read somewhere that this dolphin may have been dead for at least a good 10 days, a boater mentioned it somewhere, saw it belly up. Description had the same damage to the internal organ.
    I hate seeing this stuff.

I hooked a seagull once. He went after my popper. I tried reeling him in but, it kept screaming like I was hurting it everytime I pulled gently. Ijust cut the line. I hope a boater saw him and helped him out. I have untangled birds in the past that were already on the beach.

rip316 that was good that you tried to help the gull out. It's not always possible to get them unhooked, but if you don't, they risk death from the line, especially if you use braid. I try to always have a towel with me in case this happens. No matter how much they scream, try not to pay attention to them. Bring them as close as you can. Keep them on or near to the ground. Then, when they are within arm's reach, put the towel over their head and grasp firmly. They should stop moving or at least calm down a bit when that happens. I found a gull near some pilings one time that was so tangled in braid he couldn't fly. We brought him in, covered with a towel, snipped the braid, and he was good as new.

CT Good story, great deed.
    I have hooked one bird (successful release ).

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieTuna View Post
    rip316 that was good that you tried to help the gull out. It's not always possible to get them unhooked, but if you don't, they risk death from the line, especially if you use braid. I try to always have a towel with me in case this happens. No matter how much they scream, try not to pay attention to them. Bring them as close as you can. Keep them on or near to the ground. Then, when they are within arm's reach, put the towel over their head and grasp firmly. They should stop moving or at least calm down a bit when that happens. I found a gull near some pilings one time that was so tangled in braid he couldn't fly. We brought him in, covered with a towel, snipped the braid, and he was good as new.

Thanx Monty!
    i found some weird things too, last october i found this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CIMG0187.jpg   CIMG0184.jpg  

CIMG0183.jpg  

That almost looks like the Montauk monster, Lenny.

Page 1 of 39 12311 ... LastLast