Thread: Fishing Teen saves girl from river

Default Fishing Teen saves girl from river

This kid deserves an award. Way to go!!

Fishing teen rescues Flat River swimmer

Marshall Stephens, 17, said it was 'just luck'

Updated: Tuesday, 17 Aug 2010, 5:41 PM EDT
    Published : Tuesday, 17 Aug 2010, 4:41 PM EDT
    • By Steve Kelso
    GREENVILLE, Mich. (WOOD) - Marshall Stephens was fishing with a friend on the Flat River early Monday evening when he heard the screams of a teenage girl in the river.

"She started yelling, 'Help!'then basically what happens is I jump in the river and went to go get her," Stephens, 17, told 24 Hour News 8. "I just saw that she needed help and I just went in."
    Once he reached the girl, he told her to grab onto his shirt. He tried to swim back to the point where he entered the river, but the current was too swift. That's when he made the decision that probably saved both their lives.

"If you're trying to swim against (the current) it is (too difficult.) But if you're not, you just let it take you all the way down to where the sandbar is."

But once they reached the sandbar, it was Stephens who was exhausted. When the ambulance arrived, it was Stephens who was taken to the hospital.

He was checked over and released.
    Looking back on the incident, Stephens said it was "probably just all luck" that he and his friend were there fishing. "Luck and just had to be there at the right time."

http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/local...-River-swimmer

thats what a good person should do good for him