Thread: Fishing Logs discussion most valuable info for your log book?

Default Fishing Logs discussion most valuable info for your log book?

There are so many who keep fishing logs about their fishing trips.
    I have been keeping a detailed notebook for the past 30 years. Descriptions of species, weather patterns, tides, migration, etc. Of all the information you enter what would you say is the most valuable for future use?

For me, wind speed, stage of tide, and water temps are what I look for when comparing year to year and trying to predict when to fish certain areas.

Date, tide stage, moon phase, wind direction & speed, water temp, and location. All these are important in my opinion.

Stripercoast Surfcasters Club
    Dedicated to Conservation

I use an electronic one I purchased from Terrafin called Fishbase made for saltwater its great . They are the company that supplys satellite ocean temp reports. You can enter everything :

Plug ,plug color, bait type,rod,reel, line,leader location,tide ,moon ,water temp,water color, wind direction and speed, wave heights and much more. You can print reports by month or year.

Been using mine since 2004.

Don't know if they still sell it but here is a free download site

http://www.freefunfiles.com/software...hbase-3.0.html

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

That sounds like a comprehensive program finchaser. It's probably a lot better than years of data on spiral notebooks. Thanks for the recommendation.

My log has fish caught, sizes, wind patterns, any bait in area, and water temperature. this week in October is usually good for migratory fish and when I start fishing harder. Got one keeper last night. Catch em up guys.

Something I read the other day. an excuse why I can't keep a log book. SMH, so clueless-
    ". i dont have time to write ( log books ) im not retired lol idk if u r but im not and i have been catching em just not the last week and i really havent seen any caught either except monday i happened to walk into a blitz."

Is it clueless behavior, or just flat-out arrogance? or is it just that the cell phones and Facebook have taken over. A log will not tell you where to find the fish every time, but it certainly will help you to see where you should be heading based upon time of year.

Fnm sometimes you just can't fix stupid. Lazy asses is what I call them.

It's also good to compare dates from year to year. Very interesting to see when certain species of fish show up, or not. Like the blues this year. They come in from the East so within a week of someone catching them s or n of us they should be all over our beaches. It has been an unusual year in that where I fish I haven't seen many large bluefish.