Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My take on the ASMFC hearings on Addendum II

Default Thanks

Thanks Jake for that positive news.

Here's how the voting on Issue 1 breaks down....

The exact vote for status quo went like this:

10-4
    For Status Quo:
    ME = Yes
    NH = Yes
    RI = No (increase quota)
    MA = Yes
    CT = Yes
    NY = No (increase quota)
    NJ = Yes
    PA = Yes
    DE = No (increase quota)
    MD = Yes
    DC = absent
    PRFC = abstain
    VA = Yes
    NC = No (increase quota)
    NMFS = Yes
    FWS = Yes

While the votes tallied 10 to 4 in favor of maintaining Status Quo, I am SHOCKED that RI & NY voted FOR the proposed increase (maybe I shouldn't be, but I am).

Here's what the public comments received looked like for the states who's delegates voted in favor of the increase:

Stripercoast Surfcasters Club
    Dedicated to Conservation

Thanks for the update

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Yes Jake thanks for looking into and spending time doing what most of us are to lazy or busy to do.

My pleasure guys.

While I'm thrilled that Addendum II was handled properly by the majority of ASMFC member states, we can't just let it slide in the states that chose to ignore us and send us the message that they don't care what we think. That needs to change... NOW.

I am personally bringing this blatant disregard for public opinion/experience/desire to each of the governors in the 4 states who chose to ignore us. The governors should know that their appointees are choosing to vote on issues in a manner that is inconsistent with how the overwhelming majority of their constituents would desire them to vote.

If anyone would care to voice their displeasure with the NY "representatives" directly here is their contact information.

(This is from the most current document on the ASMFC Website, I assume it's accurate.)

PAT H. AUGUSTINE
    25 STUART DR.
    CORAM, NY 11727-1918
    E-Mail paugustine3@verizon.net
    Tel: 631 - 928-1524
    Fax: 631 - 928-3540
    Position: Commissioner, Gov. Appoint

BRIAN CULHANE
    98 CLEVELAND AVE
    SAYVILLE, NY 11782-1325
    E-Mail b-culhane@excite.com
    Tel: 631 - 563-7866
    Position: Proxy, Legislative

JAMES GILMORE
    NYS DEC MARINE RESOURCES
    205 N BELLE MEAD RD, STE 1
    E SETAUKET, NY 11733-3456
    E-Mail jjgilmor@gw.dec.state.ny.us
    Tel: 631 - 444-0430
    Fax: 631 - 444-0434
    Position: Commissioner, Administrative

SEN. OWEN H. JOHNSON
    23-24 ARGYLE SQUARE
    BABYLON, NY 11702-2712
    E-Mail ojohnson@senate.state.ny.us
    Tel: 631 - 669-9200
    Fax: 631 - 669-9007
    Position: Commissioner, Legislative

Pat Augustine clearly only has his own interests in mind, and those of the commercial fishermen he's in bed with. Gov. Paterson chooses to keep him in his position even though he clearly is incapable of processing information rationally and voting objectively along the lines of the overwhelming majority of his constituency. He needs to go.... NOW!!

Governor Paterson is the only one who can take him out. Here is the Governor's contact info.

http://www.state.ny.us/governor/contact/index.html

I'm also working on Gov. elect Andrew Cuomo,, as he will be making his selection to the board after he takes office in January.

Nice job Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by JakeF View Post
    While the votes tallied 10 to 4 in favor of maintaining Status Quo, I am SHOCKED that RI & NY voted FOR the proposed increase (maybe I shouldn't be, but I am).
    Commercial fishing lobbyists are well-funded and highly visible to Congresspeople, as opposed to the Recs who only show up at a meeting when the matter directly affects their specific interest.
    Good job on the updates, Jake, thanks for the letter info. I'll try to send one out today.

Thanks for staying on top of that, Jake.
    Your posts make it easy and convenient for any angler to contact these people with just a short note.
    Imagine that, if only 25% of the people who read the "40 and 50# striped bass!!!! " threads just took the time to post up a few sentences and send them via e-mail, these guys would receive an electronic flood of voices from all the salt water fishermen out there.

I know that's delusional to even hope for 25%, but for anyone reading this, don't count on the other guy to send the e-mail in, because he won't.

I'm sending Gov Paterson one tomorrow.
    The future of Striped bass fishing is up to us, and we need to win these issues one step at a time.

Thanks again Jake, hope the family is well and you skishing maniacs are still into fish up there.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    Thanks again Jake, hope the family is well and you skishing maniacs are still into fish up there.
    Thanks Rich. Fish are sparse here right now, but I haven't hung it up yet. Another week or so of skunkings and I'll be wishing I had

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12