Thread: Kayak and Yak fishing Tips 101

Hybrid View

Default Kayaking tips 101

Kayaking tips 101

I know a lot of guys are beyond this, but some people are just starting out and might appreciate the tips. So I thought I would post up a thread of general tips to make things safer and easier for all kayakers out there.

Feel free to add to these, you just might help to make someone's trip easier. Thanks!

Default Safety first

I spent about 9 hours fishin yesterday in rough waters made that way by a strong NE blow and swell. Although they were bay areas, it was still a little hairy. It was the first time I've experienced 3' rollers in the bay.

If you find yourself in that position:

1. Point the nose of the kayak so you are directly perpendicular to the swell. Realize that a bad move in your center of gravity or balance could end up dumping you real quick.

2. Paddling to shore - sometimes it might be better to paddle parallel to the waves depending on the tide. If the swell is intense, think about this carefully and plan your route. You may have to paddle directly into the waves at some point until you get to a better location. Any miscalculation in your strategy could put you in danger.

3. Realistically, think about the risk before you go out there. Know the weather forecast, and have an exit plan as to what you'll do if things get snotty. If you're not sure and the sky turns dark quick, make a conscious effort to get closer to shore before things turn bad.

Looking back on my kayaking trips, I'm realizing that I may take more risk than some. However, I've dumped yaks and boats before. I've been in scary situations. I try to think back on those so I don't make the same mistakes again. Now, when I paddle to a location, especially at night, if I'm not comfortable with the water or current once I get there, I'm OK with turning around and getting out of there quick.

You only have one life. Even if you've driven a long way to get to the water, It's nothing to be ashamed of if you cancel a trip or don't go out once you arrive and see the conditions from shore.

Don't be embarassed to re-assess your plan...it just may save your life.

Safety
    **Note for Dark's blackberry, don't kayak when the waves are 3'.

^^
    1. Don't have a blackberry, I'm old school.
    2. Thanks, "Dad".

Default Avoiding rudder problems

The Hobies have a great rudder system. However, the way it pivots up and down, it could be vulnerable to sand and dirt, which could abrade against the parachute cord they use for the rudder linkage.

I noticed when I go to lift the yak, I had been lifting it up from the front and bracing the weight on the back before I lifted it over my head. This had caused some sand to get inside the rudder housing. After I took it apart and cleaned it I decided to try to avoid that tedious job in the future. I now lift it while it's in about 1' of water, get underneath it a bit, use the side handles to help me get under it, and lift using my legs (kind of like squats when you're weight training).

So far, no sand or grit in the rudder housing, and my cord will probably last forever this way. Just wanted to pass that along, as I read some were having rudder trouble out there.

keep it simple --
    I go on my buddy's yak that he lends me when he goes out. I'm not that experienced but one thing that i learned from him is to keep it simple, don't take too much crap out there. And, leash everything, or you might be sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by crosseyedbass View Post
    And, leash everything, or you might be sorry.
    Specially if yer launching from the surf, sand ain't good for the inside of yer reels.