Thread: Attaching hooks to plugs

Default Attaching hooks to plugs

Is there an optimal way to attach hooks?
    When is a hook to far away from the plug or to close?
    Are split rings needed?
    I tend to not use split rings unless the hook would not move freely or I feel it is to close to the body.
    Also I don't think a hook spaced far away from the body is a good thing.
    Does it matter at all?
    Any opinions?

Same plug, different attachments:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2010_9_19_hook_loc_Short.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	12070

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2010_9_19_hook_loc_Long.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	12071
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

HD or Wolverine split ring and VMC ( 9629PS) short shank treble hook 4X strong. This keeps the hook same distance from body as a normal shank treble. Thats how I do all my plugs I've had too many bad experiences with cut or open eye hooks especially Mustads on Super Strike and Gibbs plugs. Even Gibb's puts rings and 9629PS hooks on there Pro series plugs not open eye like there standard series. Just my opinion.

Killie had an open eye hook snap on a fish yesterday.

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

I also use split rings (HD) for exactly the same reason as Fin I don't like cut or open rings either quite honestly I have never had a split ring fail me but I have had open eye hooks break once you start bending the eye to open and close it you begin to weaken the hooks strength.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

So it does not matter if the hooks hang in Eastern Shibobia (far, far away from the body ).

Quote Originally Posted by surfstix1963 View Post
    I also use split rings (HD) for exactly the same reason as Fin I don't like cut or open rings either quite honestly I have never had a split ring fail me but I have had open eye hooks break once you start bending the eye to open and close it you begin to weaken the hooks strength.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Like fin and surfstix, I rarely use open end ring trebles on my plugs. I don’t trust them and have had too many hard hits snap those hooks off. I use the split ring and closed ring hooks. On the retrieve I feel that the hook will travel close to the body of the plug, even if the hooks seem to have a long drop.

When you replace hooks at the end of the season, grab the open end with a pliers and give a little twist. Nine times out of ten it will snap off, you can imagine the force put on that open eye in a rough current/surf and a good fish on it. It’s just my opinion, but the bad experiences I’ve had I don’t like to repeat. I don’t like to give the fish anymore advantages than they already have.

I feel that as long as they don't hang down far enough to snag another hook on the plug(which happens with multiple trebel hooks) it will be ok and also it keeps the hook a little further away from the plug body for a better shot at a hookup.Some consider the snap ring to be the weak link I do not like I mentioned I have had more open ring hooks fail me than anything else.Actually I will touch on another point that gets overlooked especially if you do not rinse your plugs off the barrle swivel on the through wire starts to corrode and breaks it is also weakened by riding on the through wire constantly so this needs to be checked also when plug maintenance time is around.The bad part is you need to rewire the plug to change out the swivel.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Quote Originally Posted by surfstix1963 View Post
    I feel that as long as they don't hang down far enough to snag another hook on the plug(which happens with multiple trebel hooks) it will be ok and also it keeps the hook a little further away from the plug body for a better shot at a hookup.

I think what surfstix said, is an important distinction. If one hook interferes with another it will impede your casting distance and cause trouble when hooking up. As mentioned, use good quality split rings. For the past few years I have been using Wolverine brand. I believe they are available on line. You can find them easily. And now that the weather is cold is a good time to change all your rusted or weak hooks. The time spent will be worth it when you are fighting a big fish.

I cut all my hooks. Don't like them dangling in the wind. On a pencil I will use split rings on the dressed tail hook so it lays next to the body so it doesn't hinder the cast. Never had a cut VMC break or open on a plug. You have to be careful how you bend them.......