Thread: Other peoples property

Default Other peoples property

Do you go on other peoples property to fish?

Tips for fishing near boat docks

By JAROD BALLARDO
    Fishing columnist
    POSTED Sept. 24, 2010 2:54 a.m.

Every so often I’ve gotten onto a good pattern where boat docks seem to be holding the better fish.

Unfortunately, when fishing around boat docks you’re eventually bound to butt heads with a property owner.

I remember one particular incident while visiting Clear Lake: as soon as I started to approach this one dock I was abruptly met by an older gentleman who insisted that I didn’t fish around his dock.

It had something to do with killing all the vegetation surrounding his dock. Being the non-confrontational person I am I backed off and moved down a few docks.

While fishing I noticed another boat make a stop at the same dock and once again the owner jumped out of his chair and proceeded to yell at the fisherman. They exchanged a few choice words and eventually the fishermen moved on to the next set of docks.

Because of these types of confrontations in some parts of the country, fishing around docks is illegal. There are a few basic guidelines I follow when planning on fishing around docks.

I try to never step foot on a dock, bang my boat on a dock or make a lot of noise when fishing around docks — especially in the early morning hours.

Dock fishing can be very exciting at times but as anglers we must learn how to know when to say when and move on to the next dock if necessary.

On some lakes the guy won't just be yelling at you, he's bringing his shotgun. Be careful lads.

I haven't done fresh water fishing in a long time. The last time we went up to 7 lakes in NY. We didn't go onto anyones property but I know how Dark fishes and I bet he would get permission then fish there.

Recently we went kayaking in NY. We ended up at a private boating club. He went inside to see were we were allowed to launch from. He is very respectful of other peoples property.

I hate when people fish off the marina dock. If you don't have a boat there you shouldn't be sneaking around in the middle of the night.