Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: NJ fishing reports for October 2010

Default NJ fishing reports for October 2010

NJ fishing reports for October 2010
    Important when registering on our site -- use an active email address so you can activate your account to be able to post.

Please post fishing reports here.......as little or as much detail as you want to give.

Please note: NO SPOT BURNING! Posts burning spots will be Edited or DELETED!
    Some veteran fishermen have put in years developing and learning about certain spots.Some of these spots can only handle a few guys at a time. We are losing enough access as it is, due to the unfortunate behavior of a few selfish people. No sense in making it worse.

For some areas, it would be wiser to say:
    OutFront (Ocean) OR -- OutBack (Bay) -- if you feel too many people will figure out what you are talking about. "Spot burning" also could involve mentioning something specific only to that area. If you do this, your post may be edited, or deleted. Remember that thousands of people could potentially read these posts. You don't want to be fishing next to ALL of them at the same time!

IF you are fishing an area that is NOT residential, being vague is less critical. For example, it's acceptable to say (Any)Park, or (Any)Bay, or mention a specific state park that has loads of parking and can handle the crowds.

If you are unclear on this concept, ask yourself:

If I name this place on the internet, will it be too crowded for me to enjoy tomorrow when people hear I got 30 fish here today?

If the answer is "Yes", then you should probably not be so specific.
    More discussion on this:
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ead.php?t=3763

We post these reports so our community will have a sense of what is working, what is not. We want to show people how to catch fish, rather than where.Even if you struck out or got skunked, it would be helpful to hear that as well.

If you have any additional details you would like to share - weather conditions, tide (incoming, outgoing, ebb, flood) water temps, bait present, or other mention of techniques or plugs used - feel free.

Some acronyms -

SH - Sandy Hook
    NoMoCo - Northern Monmouth County (below the hook to Shark River Inlet SRI)
    SoMoCo - Southern Monmouth County (below SRI to Manasquan Inlet)

OC - Ocean County
    IBSP - Island Beach State Park
    LBI - Long Beach Island

AC - Atlantic County
    AI - Absecon Inlet
    CISP - Corson's Inlet State Park
    CMC - Cape May County
    CMR - Cape May Rips
    GEI - Great Egg Inlet
    TI - Townsend's Inlet

RB - Raritan Bay
    BB - Barnegat Bay
    CB - Chesapeake Bay
    CBBT - Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel
    DB - Delaware Bay

Default September plug winner

_StorminSteve,
    you won the plug in the September random drawing!
    PM me your address so I can send it out to ya!

We post these reports so our community will have a sense of what is working, what is not. We want to show people how to catch fish, rather than where.

If you struck out or got skunked, it would be helpful to hear that as well. Anyone who posts a report can win a plug even if they got skunked!

This month we're giving out plugs from Ace Baits, or something similar.
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...splay.php?f=83

Thanks for posting and helping to make this a great site!

Wink

Fished Oc this am, started after 3am, first on a jetty, nada, the i went to ibsp, saw bait in the wash, small. Then i hooked up a shad, at least i think thats what it is.
    No bass, no blues. Water got warmer after the storm, wasnt to dirty, just a little off color.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PA020036.jpg   PA020033.jpg  

Nice pics Lenny. That's a hickory shad, we're getting lots of them on teasers. Great fight on light tackle.
    I fished IBSP this am, one bass 29" and a few bluefish on an ava dressed with a bucktail.
    After sunrise I put a teaser rig onn, got a few shad, but the fish were over the bar as the tide went out. Wish I had a kayak.

Quote Originally Posted by fishinmission78 View Post
    Nice pics Lenny. That's a hickory shad, we're getting lots of them on teasers. Great fight on light tackle.
    I fished IBSP this am, one bass 29" and a few bluefish on an ava dressed with a bucktail.
    After sunrise I put a teaser rig onn, got a few shad, but the fish were over the bar as the tide went out. Wish I had a kayak.
    Thanx fishinmission78! I have a kayak but yesterday wasnt the day to put it on the ocean!

Default Report 10-3

Nice shad, Lenny. They're also called Jersey Tarpon.

I know many people remain focused on bass, but on light tackle the hickory shad are great fun. When compared to herring, they're way more aggressive and will eat other fish, so you can catch them with large teasers or spearing. They're a good fish to bring the kids out for, these and the small bluefish that are around now.

Always check the weather report!
    I'm so obessive about checking the weather, and check it every day several times. Not only the beach cams, but when the weather is changing I look at predictions broken down by the hour to see the best window.

Today I failed to do that, as I dragged Pebbles out of bed at 4am. Call it being tired or googanism, I didn't hit the PC updates before we left. Last night they said 10-15 N, and variable. Not too bad, fishable...

We got down to the water, the wind was howling before sunrise, straight in your face NE. We tried to hide behind some structure, but the 20mph, and gusts to 30, made things unfishable where we were. Gave it a few casts and decided to change plans.

We went and mugged Finchaser! He was hard at work trying to pull a fish or 2. Bait was around but more scattered than usual.

We all gave it our best. He might blame me for shutting the bite down. The real blame today goes all to the wind. There were a few maniacs trying for fish in any spot that offered a lee, the best we heard of was one bass on an Ava47, and one small bluefish.

Finchaser, the Old Grouchy Basstard, managed a few bite offs on rubber, not much luck with anything else. Called it a morning early.

It's gonna be hard to present to the fish today, guys and girls. Good luck to anyone who tries.

It was great seeing and fishing with you today Bob.

As Dark said we did not get anything but I did have a good time.

I would much rather get up at 4:00 then stay up and go out at 12:00 or 1:00.

The wind was howling.. Thank Goodness Dark had a hat for me to use.. Once we got to Finchaser we were a little more protected from the wind. I was able to cast very far, with my Finchaser rod. I learned some more about fishing bucktails, still no fish.

Fished SH on out going tide early Sat. morning. Lots of bait. Managed a small fluke and a cocktail blue.

Mike O

Hey Mike how ya been? Are you fishing the surf or the boat, more this year?

I have not been on a boat in years! To fish. Land Lover for sure. Went on a Cat cruise a couple of years back in Hawaii and got seasick while my wife was enjoying mai tais and snacks LOL. No more boats for me.

Mike O

Quote Originally Posted by Mike O View Post
    Went on a Cat cruise a couple of years back in Hawaii and got seasick while my wife was enjoying mai tais and snacks LOL. No more boats for me.
    Mike O
    Hey that's one of the reasons why we get married, right?....so they can spend our $$ and keep us out of trouble.
    Good luck this season, Mike, hope to bump into ya one day soon.

Fished out front from 5:00 to 8:30 this morning. Got this one short on a teaser in front of a 2 oz F14 and had one other hit. Was a wee bit windy out there this morning.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2010_10_3_SB.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	111.1 KB 
ID:	12176
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

nice catch,Monty!

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    Fished out front from 5:00 to 8:30 this morning. Got this one short on a teaser in front of a 2 oz F14 and had one other hit. Was a wee bit windy out there this morning.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2010_10_3_SB.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	111.1 KB 
ID:	12176
    "Wee bit windy"
    Understatement of the year, Monty. That wind was howling, many guys who gave it a shot got blanked.

Some of the best catches of the day... one on an A47 this morning. And G and the Dirty Water guys got a few in the back, 31" bass on bunker and a few blues. And yours.

I'm impressed you were able to punch it out there with the 2oz, with a teaser attached as well. WTG, nice fish.

Tonight 6 to 7:30 a 32" bass on white shad rap waaaaaaaaaaay in back, bait came back where there was none this AM. Wind and rain getting worse we quit cause we couldn't see.

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

I thought that was your car Monty. I didnt feel like walking all the way South to where I think you were, I fished the break between the rocks. Wind was unbearable, I snapped off a nice AOK T-hex with a bass candy teaser. I fished until about 8:00 and couldn't take the wind anymore. Skunk for me.

Nice catches guys! I didn't go today because I figured it would be unfishable. Way to hang in there.

Quote Originally Posted by kevnmary View Post
    I thought that was your car Monty. I didnt feel like walking all the way South to where I think you were, I fished the break between the rocks. Wind was unbearable, I snapped off a nice AOK T-hex with a bass candy teaser. I fished until about 8:00 and couldn't take the wind anymore. Skunk for me.
    Water looked pretty clear, tons of white water. But was a lot warmer than I thought it would be. I used a chartreuse teaser, like the one you used in that area last year when you schooled me.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    "Wee bit windy"
    Understatement of the year, Monty. That wind was howling, many guys who gave it a shot got blanked.

Some of the best catches of the day... one on an A47 this morning. And G and the Dirty Water guys got a few in the back, 31" bass on bunker and a few blues. And yours.

I'm impressed you were able to punch it out there with the 2oz, with a teaser attached as well. WTG, nice fish.
    Thanks. Wind played havoc with my hat, cord choked me, hat on side of head, in eyes. Was ridicules. For me catching one fish in those conditions, even a short, is very satisfying (especially when I have basically no idea what I am doing), I love the challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by LennyD View Post
    nice catch,Monty!
    Thanks
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Ran an afternoon trip on saturday. We had 6 guys on board and decided to fish nomoco area. Took a few minutes of smashing clams over the side, but we managed to turn the bass on. The day was awesome weather wise and in 4 hours time we managed to catch 50 plus bass. Only 12 were keepers. Most of the throw backs were 27-27 3/4. Keepers ranged from 29 3/4 to 32. All the fish were very fat and yet not much bait in their bellies. Was great to find the fish and make a unexpected nice day for the guys. No other boats around us either. Those that did sweep by to see if they could get some action left quickly without a single pick up. HAHA sucks for them.
    "Don't be shy, give it a try"

The bass are passing by every day, the key is to figure out how to get to where they are.
    WTG, Cardoc, glad ya's got into them.

10-4 report
    Fished out back this morning. The wind was pretty intense, shifting from the E/NE. Strong gusts, it didn't let up for long. The rain wasn't that bad, though. Found a lee from the wind in the back, with small spearing and mullet still around. Fish feeding on the surface before the change of the tide. Threw rubber but it kept getting chopped. Switched to a 4" bomber profile chartreuse swimmer, managed a few small bluefish.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast