Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: NJ fishing reports for October 2010

Went fishing the other night. I am not one to fish on a work night but was told fish were in abundance. Mullet was in abundance, but only managed one tap. I had a fish take my line but I could not set the hook and lost it. Oh well I guess that's why it is called fishing and not catching.

Default "Just one more cast...5 more minutes"

Last night was tough for me, there was no pattern to catching, had to change up presentations and pounded a lot of sand.
    Managed 3 small bass as I fished 4 hours of the ebb. First 2 were on the Ace baits bunker profile, different locations. The last one was on rubber, another beach location.

It seemed the bite was off, really had to work for those fish. And each one of them was progressively smaller.

Morning bite:
    Slept in my car, up at 5, managed a 31" bass and a big bluefish on rubber at sunrise today. Happy again.

We had a mix of bass and blues to 23# about a mile off the hook this AM. We fished eels before sunrise, and clams after.

I fished the outgoing last night. I Worked my @ss off. Hit many beaches. I worked my way from south to north. On one beach I went sledding on the sand, luckily there was no rock buried as I miss read the sand slope. I didn’t see much bait except on my last beach. At my last beach, I had 3 good bumps on a metal lip this was at low tide, I did make some mental notes on some impressive holes and other soft structure.

Fished OC this morning from 5am until 845. Incoming tide. Had a nice fish on, on a needle fishing it REALLY slow. Lost it in the wash. A 31" bass on a yellow popper right before the wash. Startled the crap out of me. I never had a bass inhale a popper like that right by my feet. He had the entire 5" popper in his mouth just the head of the popper was showing.

I do not mind baitfishing, I rather enjoy the slower pace and seeing my rod bend straight over with the hopes of sticking a nice bass or blue. This has been my first year of getting into pluggin on a consistant basis. It is frustrating at times and a couple of times I swore to never do it again. I have to admit though, it is pretty cool when you get slammed 5' from your feet by a 31" bass. Just another step in the direction of becoming a better fishermen.

Thanks to all the posts you guys have put up. I am learning a great deal from you all. Thanks

Fished IBSP at the inlet this afternoon, got a nice 22" tog on green crabs.

Quote Originally Posted by rip316 View Post
    It is frustrating at times and a couple of times I swore to never do it again. I have to admit though, it is pretty cool when you get slammed 5' from your feet by a 31" bass.
    Rip, nice fish!
    I love the rush, excitement of catching on poppers.
    Feels great fooling a bass with an artificial.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

I had my butt handed to me by monster blues to 15.5# this morning, non-stop action livelining 5-6" peanuts way in the back MoCo. All incoming.

Water temp was 62 degrees.

Cardoc and I caught some blues way in the back the other day but, nothing that big. Congrats on the big blues. Love those big blues.

Cardoc and I caught some blues way in the back the other day but, nothing that big. Congrats on the big blues. Love those big blues.
    Thanks. So do I . The near 16 pounder bent my stout Lamiglas rod to a frightening angle. I thought it was gonna snap at any minute.

There's an area where my buddy and I can count on for these huge blues this time of year and in the spring too. And they didn't disappoint.

Tried it out back this morning and ended up with the skunk. Fished 3:00 to 8:30. One hit on a Hogy. I miss those big Blues, my worst year ever in terms of catching blue fish.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Dark and I went out early this morning. Actually got there a little on the late side. Tried to fish some metals and rubber. I did not even get a tap. We also went out last night for an hour until 7:00. I had a few quick taps but nothing more.

The best thing I like about fishing nowadays is my handy dandy finchaser rod. It is perfect for me. No more shoulder pain when casting. I vote Finchaser rods to be the best of the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    I miss those big Blues, my worst year ever in terms of catching blue fish.

I got the skunk too Monty, from 4-7am in somoco. I did get one sea robin on my teaser, though.
    And I def agree with you on the gator disappearance, which gives me the blues Last year they were thick in Ocean County, Island beach, and Sandy Hook. They disappeared for a time in the summer but were back in late August with a vengeance! Boy I sure miss them too.

Default 10/10/10

Out front - 4am - 8am. Plugs. I guess I'll join the skunk brigade also. Didn't see any life in that water at all. Still, it was a beautiful morning to make the walk.

Happy Trails

Default the fall run has begun

We spent the early part of the morning today off Sandy Hook in what I can only describe as an epic amount of fish. Bait readings solid throughout the water column, mostly sandeels, very thick.
    The 4 of us managed 43 bass to 27# using 4 to 6 oz jigs. We kept 4 middle size fish that were in the high teens.
    I hope they come into the surf, and that you shore guys get a chance at them. They are out there, good luck!

A 31" bass on a yellow popper right before the wash. Startled the crap out of me. I never had a bass inhale a popper like that right by my feet. He had the entire 5" popper in his mouth just the head of the popper was showing.

I do not mind baitfishing, I rather enjoy the slower pace and seeing my rod bend straight over with the hopes of sticking a nice bass or blue. This has been my first year of getting into pluggin on a consistant basis. It is frustrating at times and a couple of times I swore to never do it again. I have to admit though, it is pretty cool when you get slammed 5' from your feet by a 31" bass. Just another step in the direction of becoming a better fishermen.

Thanks to all the posts you guys have put up. I am learning a great deal from you all. Thanks
    Great report, Rip. To me, the feeling of a fish hitting an artificial presentation means that everything you did came together and fooled that fish. It's an adrenalin high that no amount of alcohol or any substance could come close to.
    A lot of guys fish bait and catch fish. A good fisherman learns how to adapt to changing conditions. One important thing in your growth as a surfcaster is to learn how to challenge yourself in varying circumstances.
    If you always fish clams or bunker, and never give artificials a shot, you're keeping yourself at one level and not pushing yourself to learn all you could learn. Again, nothing wrong with fishin bait IMO, some of the biggest bass are caught in the New England area by drifting live eels.
    However, it remains a challenge to keep asking yourself..."What more can I learn so I can catch fish under any conditions, and how do I apply this new knowledge to make me a well-rounded fisherman?"
    I believe you're on that path, bro, nice fish and keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    Tried it out back this morning and ended up with the skunk. Fished 3:00 to 8:30. One hit on a Hogy. I miss those big Blues, my worst year ever in terms of catching blue fish.
    Count me in on that "missing the blues" club, Monty. They're around, but only in certain strategic areas where bait is stacked. Last year and the year before they were a lot thicker, and more consistently available. I spent all of Aug and Sept specifically targeting big blues while the small schoolies were around. I would trade all the schoolies I caught this year just to be able to return to that great monster bluefish action of years past.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffT View Post
    I had my butt handed to me by monster blues to 15.5# this morning, non-stop action livelining 5-6" peanuts way in the back MoCo. All incoming.
    Water temp was 62 degrees.
    Say it ain't so, Geoff!!

I remember some of your reports have the tag line "All on artificials, no baitfish were harmed"....now yer snaggin and droppin peanuts???
    Please tell me you had someone else snagging and dropping those peanuts for ya, this greatly concerns me...

Geoff and the peanuts....
    Will the sun rise tomorrow?
    Will the moon be as bright?
    Geoff is fishin with bait.
    What a terrible fright!

I may have to take a trip to the Himalayas to consult my guru and ask him if the end of the world is coming.....

hey dark why are you hassling this dude dont be so harsh!
    some of us do good on bait, last nite i got 3 monster blues and one shortie bass, all on bunker, in the back. that aint too bad now is it? nuttin wrong wit fishin bait, sometimes its all the fishies want and u gotta give it to them or you get lol

well done on the fish

Quote Originally Posted by wish4fish View Post
    hey dark why are you hassling this dude dont be so harsh!
    some of us do good on bait, last nite i got 3 monster blues and one shortie bass, all on bunker, in the back. that aint too bad now is it? nuttin wrong wit fishin bait, sometimes its all the fishies want and u gotta give it to them or you get lol
    Here he goes againhe's busting a friend
    Dark usually keeps bait in his car or pockets he never leaves home with out it, you both probably have permanent bucket rings on your A_ _es

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

^It's all good, Fin, no problems here. Y'all bust me about the swans and West Wind Wally, so why should bait fishin be any different? Feel free, if it makes ya happy...

And why the hell do you have to tell everyone about the bait in my pockets? It was supposed to be top sekrit!That's the sekrit sauce I rub on the plugs, and now everyone's gonna copy that.
    It took me years to learn that trick from the sharpies, and now ya just gave that away...

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast