Thread: Black Magic missing from Tom's Canyon trip

Default Black Magic missing from Tom's Canyon trip

I read this on another site. Hope they are found safe and sound.

Coast Guard searches for 6 men reported missing off Atlantic City coast

Published: Monday, October 11, 2010, 11:09 AM Updated: Monday, October 11, 2010, 12:17 PM

The Star-Ledger Continuous News Desk
    Follow
    Share this story

Story tools

United States Coast GuardThe Coast Guard is searching for a 32-foot vessel that was reported missing off the coast of Atlantic City Sunday night.

LACEY — Six men aboard a 32-foot boat that sailed out of Forked River Saturday night have been reported missing, according to a release issued by the United States Coast Guard.
    The men, who were due back Sunday morning from an overnight fishing trip aboard the vessel Black Magic, were reported missing that Sunday night by the wife of one of the men.
    Multiple Coast Guard rescue boats, helicopters and other aircraft are taking part in the search, which is centered about 85 miles east of Atlantic City.
    Anyone with information about the missing boaters is asked to call Coast Guard Sector Delaware Bay at (215) 271-4960.

suxxx hope they find them

May God watch over them.

Wow I hope they find those guys.

Anyone have any updated info?

They were found today 120 miles off shore.No safety

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Missing N.J. boaters on fishing vessel off Atlantic City found, U.S. Coast Guard says

Published: Monday, October 11, 2010, 9:52 PM Updated: Tuesday, October 12, 2010, 5:16 AM

The Star-Ledger

Share this story

Story tools

Mike McLaughlin/For The Star-LedgerFrom left, a photograph of Jimmy McDade, Geoff McDade, and Jimmy's grandfather Jim Piana, taken about two years ago. Jimmy McDade, a Navy Petty Officer 1st Class, his father Geoff and four friends went tuna fishing on Saturday on Jimmy's boat Black Magic, set to return on Sunday, but were reported missing and found approximately 120 miles offshore late this evening.

ATLANTIC CITY — An urgent crackle came over a Coast Guard radio at 1 a.m. today, five hours into the search for six missing fishermen off the coast of Atlantic City.
    ‘‘Mayday! Mayday!’’ the voice of one of the fishermen, later identified as Bernie Otremsky of Haddon Township, cut through the static.

It would be another 18 harrowing hours before there was any more contact with the six men. Friends and family members, worried all day about the fate of the fishermen, got some good news tonight when the Coast Guard reported that all were found, alive and well, around 7 p.m., adrift in the boat about 120 miles east of the seaside gambling resort.

A Coast Guard HH-60 helicopter had found the powerless vessel, which was being towed to shore late tonight by an 87-foot cutter and would not reach land until after daylight, said Petty Officer Jonathan Lindberg, a spokesman from the Coast Guard’s Atlantic City Station in Pomona.

The Coast Guard said it was unclear why the boat lost power.
    The rescued men were Otremsky, 52, Geoffrey McDade, 56; his son and the boat’s owner James McDade, 26, of Groton, Conn.; Ed Silcox, 77, of Langhorne, Pa.; and Ray Somerville and Jerry Lewis, whose ages and addresses were not available.
    Thomas McDade, whose father and older brother were on board, said he learned of the rescue from a friend who had been monitoring the radio while out fishing and heard the Coast Guard transmission saying the boat had been found. McDade said the Coast Guard called him minutes later and confirmed the news from his friend.

"My mother and me, we were ecstatic," said McDade, 25, who was confident the men would survive the ordeal. "My brother’s in the Navy, and he learned survival skills, and my dad, I don’t think he’ll ever go. Sometimes I can’t get rid of him and sometimes I can’t keep him around."

After the men failed to return from the overnight trip on Sunday morning, Monday’s 1 a.m. call brought some relief to the families. But as of early tonight, the Coast Guard had still been searching for the six friends and new acquaintances who had gone after tuna in the Toms Canyon fishing area 85 miles off Atlantic City.
    ‘‘I felt at least that meant the boat didn’t sink and they were somewhere on the ocean waiting to be picked up,’’ said Sharon McDade of Forked River, Geoffrey McDade’s wife, and the mother of Thomas and James.
    All too often, however, missing fishermen are not found alive, and it was a saga that could have had a very different ending.
    When the fishermen first went missing, family members tried frantically to reach them via cell phone, but apparently they were out of range. Then they waited.

Sharon McDade said her son James, a Navy machinist’s mate, bought the 32-foot Blackfin sport fishing boat in April after returning from a tour of duty in Iraq. Father and son, who keep the boat at the Tide’s End Marina in Forked River, had taken several trips together since then, but they usually went only about 20 miles out, never as far as the canyon, she said.
    On Saturday, Silcox, her cousin’s former father-in-law, wanted to go tuna fishing, and brought along a couple of his friends, Lewis and Otremsky, Sharon McDade said. She said her husband, a truck driver for Clean Harbors Environmental Services Inc. in Gloucester County, brought along a friend of his own, Somerville, a mechanic at Clean Harbors’ Edison site.

She said her husband called her around noon on Saturday to say he was heading out through the Barnegat Light Inlet to Toms Canyon. Before leaving the house Saturday morning, Geoffrey McDade told his son Thomas that he’d be back Sunday morning. But when Sharon got home at 5 that afternoon, her husband was still gone.
    Mike McLaughlin/For The Star-LedgerSharon McDade talks on the phone with news organizations, while waiting to hear from the Coast Guard, after receiving word that her husband and son were found safe after having been missing since Sunday.

‘‘I started to worry, so I called the Coast Guard,’’ she said.
    Lindberg, the Coast Guard spokesman, said the guard received Sharon McDade’s phone call at 6:40 p.m. Less than two hours later, he said, a search began in the area of Toms Canyon, a trench in the ocean floor about 85 miles east of Atlantic City. The Coast Guard put out an alert to mariners in the area to be on the lookout for a vessel in distress.

Then Otremsky’s 1 a.m. distress call came over VHF Channel 22, picked up by a Coast Guard tower in Massachusetts. As daylight broke today, other Coast Guard craft joined the search, including two HH-60 helicopters and a C-130 search plane from the guard’s Elizabeth City Station in North Carolina.

They searched an area of roughly 130 square miles, from Toms Canyon up to the Hudson Canyon, another trench that extends out from New York Harbor. The wind and sea were calm, making for favorable search conditions. And water temperatures were a mild 66 to 67 degrees, giving family members reason to hope for the best.

‘‘They’re avid fishermen. They’re all mechanically inclined," said Lisa Otremsky, the rescued fisherman’s wife.
    But as the hours went on and nightfall approached, Sharon McBride said she began to worry.
    "It was getting dark, and the boat was all black," she said. "I thought they’d never find them."

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...n_fishing.html

I heard they were found 120 miles out 50 miles from Tom's Canyon adrift. They had no safety gear what so ever. no Epirb or life rife. No one in their right mind goes to the canyon with out them no matter how good a fisherman you are. It's this kind of stupidity that makes big brother impose rules and regulations on everyone

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

At least they are safe but your right no one in their right mind goes offshore w/o any safety equipt.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    They had no safety gear what so ever. no Epirb or life rife. No one in their right mind goes to the canyon with out them no matter how good a fisherman you are. It's this kind of stupidity that makes big brother impose rules and regulations on everyone
    What Finchaser said. They should be fined for not having safety gear. I am glad they are OK, but this kind of rescue effort can cost millions of $$. When you go to climb a dangerous mountain and they have to rescue you, I believe you are fined if it's discovered you didn't have all your safety equipment. I think they should do the same here too. No disrespect meant for them or their families, but think of the grief they put their families through as well.

I was happy to hear that they were found and all ok. I saw it on the news the other day, saying that they found them. However, I agree with Fin. Offshore regulations state that if you are going to venture out that far the following are Coast Guard requirements. Boat must have 2 VHF radios with sideband. Sideband is a must to be able to recieve and broadcast over the curvature of the earth. You must have a life raft WITH an auto release that will let go of the raft once its in 3ft of water and it must be placed on the boat where it can release on its own prior to the crew having no where to go. An EPIRB is a must. The boat must be made with a full draining system allowing water to drain on its own (full scuppers,floor drains and all). Bilge pumps fore and aft with back up ones. Minimum of 2 antennas for the radios. GPS, Radar, along with the normal Coast guard package (flare guns as well as hand helds). Also, flotation devices and PFD for everyone on board.

So there is a lot these guys missed doing what they did. A spare fully charged battery for electronics only in case of a no power situation would have been good too. Then they could have radioed more and got help sooner.
    "Don't be shy, give it a try"