Thread: What type of lures work well at night?

Default What type of lures work well at night?

I’m still a rookie at surf fishing. Planning a night trip and was wondering what’s the best colors and type of lure to throw at night.

Madcaster, that would depend on the bait around in the area you are fishing. Right now the predominant bait is sandeels. To approximate these, you could throw small bombers, sluggos, or metal jigs like the avas or t-hex. You would not be able to throw bombers when it is very windy out. Will you be fishing the beaches, inlets, or the jetties? There are different ways you can use these choices at different times. Can you be a little more specific as to the type of area you want to fish at night and the conditions? Perhaps I can be a little more specific in helping you.
    Also, have you never fished at night at all in the surf, or have you been out there a few times?

Are your fishing where there is rocky or sandy bottom? You can catch a heck of a lot of fish at night using a 1/2 oz bucktail with a white curly tail. I also like bombers, and use them a lot because they are simple.

I mostly do beach fishing …sandy hook area. I’ve been out before with not much luck. Maybe I’m looking for what colors work best.
    Black bombers vs bright yellow one for night time

This thread has great info. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ead.php?t=7189
    I like the rubber teaser.....a lot.
    Lots of sand eels and small bait in Jersey now.
    Some times you need to deliver the teaser further (bigger plug).
    Sluggos also, 7". Black.
    Had some action recently on a mag darter (red head/white body) at night, relatively small, skinny plug.
    Black bombers are great, yellow, chicken scratch too.
    I look for rough water, rips. Wind in face =
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Recently I caught my stripers on metal. The other night I was fishing metal with teasers.

I don't know much but from what I have learned if you are using something dark you have to retrieve SLOWWWW. The bass in the colder water need a chance to feel the vibration and find the "bait". I was told to remember it is dark down there under the water in the night.