Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: comparison: Abu VS Omoto

Default !

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    I'm an educated thumb guy also,I don't like mags IMO they are only good on real light stuff. I was just trying to be helpful didn't mean to come across any other way. Been playing with ,testing and tweaking reels for over 40 years.
    I found that out when I tried casting a laser eye[sort of like a bomber 16a] plug with a slight headwind,no mag on and it would nest up,put the mag on it's mid setting and it was doable.
    I was not offended,I did wonder why so much drama but thats all,not from just you but all the others too.

now,I'd like to pick yer head,do you prefer the spool bearings inside the spool or outboard on the spool ends?

I kinda like them on the ends.

cheers
    R-P
    Takes a Big Man to sling Big Wood,,,,boys sling plastic,,,,,,,

Default Re: !

Quote Originally Posted by storminsteve View Post
    My buddy bought one. He's into reels and taking them apart. He looked at the Abu and the Omoto side by side, and explained to me all the shortcuts in quality Omoto took to make their reel so they could sell it cheaper.

His opinion - that the Omotos are cheap crap, that they disguise with shiny colors and nice handles to get guys who don't know any better to buy them. If you only fish once or twice a month, your Omoto will prob last forever. But if you fish every night, my friend claims they will blow up because they are not built to handle big fish. So catch all the small blues you want with them and be happy. When you blow it up on a 40 or 50# bass and lose the fish of a lifetime, don't say you weren't warned. Sorry I don't agree with you on your opinion r-plugger.
    Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    Then why ask for opinions, it's seems you fish with a lot of off the wall brands. It's hard to find tackle shops or people in the know who use these brand reels. If this stuff was any good they would be stocked in tackle shops. After checking with some shops, and a friend at a major tackle distributor, the brands you mentioned are considered a joke,not worth the problems they will cause and the bad rap people selling them would get when they fail.
    Most site says the same thing no matter the size OMOTO reel,they say the same thing they fail when fished hard and are considered junk.

Would venture to say they are not on anyones wish list either.

Cheaper and smaller bearings, non shielded bearings, poor tolerances and cheaper anodizing all ways of cutting corners like Steve and his friend mentioned above.. Bearing issues was biggest complaint also very weak drags if you go even 1 line size up and this was on there top of line reels that compete against
    Avets and Shimano and Diawa lever drags

Maybe they will come out with matching cheap rods to make combo's to help them sell their reels on ebay and other internet sites .

Well enough of this, sorry but I don't think any one will tell you what you want to hear.

Remember any reel holds up to fishing it's the catching part that kills them.

Good luck to you, it almost sounds like you have some kind of a vested interest in promoting these reels.

I would like to update my comments here. Since this thread came out. I have seen an omoto in action. Think it was an omoto chief. Don't remember what series it was. A younger guy came out to the north bar at Montauk one night. There was a periodic bite of some nicer fish. He was talking about what a great reel it was. It seemed like he had some connection with the company or something the way he was going on and on. We were all throwing darters and bottle plugs and every so often someone would nail a mid to high teen bass. Well this guy hooked in to one and halfway in his reel locked up. You could see the fish thrashing as he tried to back it up and walk the fish in to the beach. If anyone knows the north bar you would know this isnt really possible. He tried, we saw the body of the fish at last, and he lost it about 20 feet from shore.

He had let me cast it a few times before that when he was trying to show us how great it was.
    I liked the way it cast but after seeing it lock up like that I would never buy, use, or consider owning an omoto. This is only my opinion. Wanted to let the folks know that when it counted, that reel locking up, failed/seized bearings maybe or some other issues, cost him at least one nice fish.
    When you are out there in isolated areas you need gear that is not prone to failure. Hope I didnt upset anyone with this review. Just reporting what I saw. Tight lines everyone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12