Thread: Night Fishing

Default Night Fishing

Can we list some tips for night fishing? I want to get more into that time frame. Any tips will be appreciated.

Porgy, I don't want to discourage you, but this is not the best time of the year to get into night fishing. If you were fishing a place like LBI with bunker, and knew the cuts and structure well, you might have some success.

The night temps are trending into the low 30's. I'm not comfortable encouraging someone to go out there when the little action there is, is centered on specific structure and areas. Additionally, this time of year we're trending toward a day bite as the ocean water temps drop.

A good time to be on the water is right before sunrise...or even better, late afternoon into sunset. The limited bite has been keyed around those time periods if you are strictly using artificials. If you're still not sure, please be more specific and we might be able to help you further. As always, feel free to PM me at any time.

He does have a point porgy75. Most of the guys I know are getting action in the afternoon, though I had no luck today.

As mentioned this is not the greatest time to be out there at night.During the heat of the summer is when you want to do your majority of fishing at night when the water cools down the fish will be more active and come out of the deeper holes they stay in during the day(incoming water is better I feel as it will drop the water temps) Rock hopping is the most dangerous in the beginning you should go with someone who has done this and is familiar w/ the hazards of a night on the rocks for starters get korkers if you don't have them,raingear or at least rain pants w/ a dry top(no waders) & a good waterproof headlamp(at least one I keep two w/ extra batteries)too many things can go wrong falling in the drink or breaking a leg(don't want to get you paranoid but things happen)You will notice your bodies senses are way more alert at night things are quieter the fish are feeding differently and generally they are more abundent.Your plugs are usually darker colors,they will be fished at a snails pace swimmers,darters and bucktails are a good starting point if you are not totally bored reel slower always keep contact with the plug, leave the poppers home unless you plan on doing an all nighter into dawn try to pick a good landing spot that is the safest place you feel you are able to land and unhook the fish watch the waves rolling in so you don't get knocked on your butt or in the water.Fishing bait you need to know your tides and currents a waning current is best suited in the inlets for bait.The beach is another story if you need more than 6 oz. to hold bottom go home or start plugging do not go in the water on a beach at night because the fish are probably going to be in the inner trough or at your feet quiet is needed softer casts don't rip it out there try and land the plug softly always reel your plug right up on the beach keep the lights away from the water turn around to change lures and bait.Theres a couple of tips IMO I am sure I left out some.Safety is first most of us all have someone at home waiting for us to return and no fish is worth not returning.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

What he said ^^^ and wait till next year it's primarily a day bite now as it is every year in the late fall. Fish tend to feed late afternoon after sun has warmed the water up a little.

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

All great advice above. The nite bite sux now, spring and summer would be best specially if you are just starting out. And dont miss the sunrise, 90% of my fish in the last 2 months were caught around sunrise and sunset.

Quote Originally Posted by surfstix1963 View Post
    During the heat of the summer is when you want to do your majority of fishing at night when the water cools down the fish will be more active and come out of the deeper holes they stay in during the day(incoming water is better I feel as it will drop the water temps) Rock hopping is the most dangerous in the beginning you should go with someone who has done this and is familiar w/ the hazards of a night on the rocks for starters get korkers if you don't have them,raingear or at least rain pants w/ a dry top(no waders) & a good waterproof headlamp(at least one I keep two w/ extra batteries)too many things can go wrong falling in the drink or breaking a leg(don't want to get you paranoid but things happen)You will notice your bodies senses are way more alert at night things are quieter the fish are feeding differently and generally they are more abundent.Theres a couple of tips IMO I am sure I left out some.Safety is first most of us all have someone at home waiting for us to return and no fish is worth not returning.

Very good advice here. We had 2 guys die here while night fishing the surf at a point. The current was strong and they got swept away. They were relatively young and had families too. Be careful out there.

Fishing at night could have dangerous moment depending on your experience levels you could reduce the chances of something happing. You need to have rules that you won't break when fishing alone. You have to have good knowledge of the area you fishing both at high tide and low tide. There is so many variable from weather and temperature to stepping into a deep hole just off the sand in low tide that has massive currents.

One time I was fishing a Nor’easter maybe 5 Decembers ago (I think) I got hit on a receding wave by drift wood. It knocked me down and I got hit with waves. I was luck in many ways. I could have broken my legs, or could have gotten hit again in the head with that same drift wood/log. I was near my car and might have had Hyperthermia. Lucky it didn't happen at the Rips. I might have not made it back to the car. (Don’t wade near the Rips you would be considered Crazy if you do it’s way to dangerous)

I have many moments in my fishing career that could scare many out of this sport. I learn a lot from all my experiences. I even got stuck in quick sand past my knee almost to mid thigh and could not get my leg out.