Thread: Search conducted for Shrewsbury kakayer

Hybrid View

Default Search conducted for Shrewsbury kakayer

Dark I thought it might be you, glad it's not. It must be very tough for his family waiting to hear some news. I hope they can resolve this soon.

http://www.app.com/article/20101117/...ker-continuing

Search conducted for Shrewsbury River kayaker

By CAROL GORGA WILLIAMS • STAFF WRITER • November 17, 2010

LITTLE SILVER — A multi-jurisdictional search was under way late Wednesday night for a man who did not return from kayaking in the Shrewsbury River.

Authorities were focusing their efforts in the area around Seven Bridges Road and Little Silver Point Road.

First Assistant Monmouth County Prosecutor Peter E. Warshaw Jr. said his office was advised of the search about 8 p.m. As that office is not involved in search-and-rescue operations, it would only respond if the search turned deadly.

"There is a search for a missing kayaker that is under way," said Warshaw, acknowledging the kayaker began his outing earlier Wednesday afternoon. "There is substantial effort under way to try to locate a kayaker."

Searchers worked through the afternoon and evening as higher than usual winds were reported in the area.

Authorities know the identity of the missing person but would not release it.

Police had no further information

Sad to hear that. Hope he turns up OK.

Default updated info

They still didn't fiind him. I can't believe some of the comments people are making about him on the news blogs. They say he was in good shape, but they found the kayak, his pfd, and cell phone, and no signs of him yet.
    Thoughts and prayers for his recovery, let's pray they find him alive hidden away somewhere.

POLICE IDENTIFY MISSING KAYAKER

State Police will continue its search for a missing kayaker, “for the foreseeable future,” a spokesman says. (Photo by Dustin Racioppi; click to enlarge)
    By DUSTIN RACIOPPI
    State Police have identified a Tinton Falls man as the Shrewsbury River kayaker who’s been missing since Wednesday, and will continue to search for him “for the foreseeable future,” said Sgt. Stephen Jones, a spokesman.
    The department, along with area volunteer fire departments, have been searching the river for David Civile, 36 26, since late Wednesday. The Coast Guard, which had been assisting in the search, has since called off its operation, Sgt. Dan White, also of the State Police, said.
    All agencies suspended the search for Civile at about 10:30p Wednesday night, and resumed it again first thing this morning, Jones said.
    In addition to a surface search up and down the Shrewsbury and surrounding waters, Jones said police boats are using sonar “to spot any evidence at the bottom.”
    “There is a very wide area to continue this surface search,” he said.
    Jones would not say what the chances of survivability are in these conditions — the water temperature was 53 degrees Thursday afternoon, he said, “which is very cold.”
    “The good thing is most of the water is shallow, so maybe the better (outside) temperature days will help,” White said.
    Authorities were first notified that Civile was missing around 8p last night when his kayak was found near the uninhabited Sedge Island, which lies between Sea Bright and Rumson on the Shrewsbury River.
    Jones said a number of factors could determine how long police continue to search for Civile, so he would not place any timeframe on the operations.
    “We’ll just continue the search with the resources available for the foreseeable future right now,” he said.

Prayers for his safe return.

I don't mean to criticize what others have said here or in the internet comments. I know the wind was more than brutal that day. I might have bailed on a trip with the wind that strong. (And thanks for the phone calls and PMs, guys)However, I've been in the Western Sound, JBay and SI in rough conditions when I knew fish were around and could find a lee from the wind.

We all make choices in life that might not be optimal. In the case of Dave, he was an experienced yakker in good condition. The current in those rivers leading to the twin rivers runoff at the Highlands bridge can be intense.

But...the back area where he allegedly was isn't really that bad. An experienced yakker like him might have decided to find a lee from the wind back there and give fishing a shot. Obviously, something happened which caused him to lose control, and in this case his choices are looked at and judged as wrong or foolish. I think if you know that river system well, you might agree that there are shallow places tucked in way in the back where he was, that don't present a danger if you have the right gear and clothing. The bottom line is we may never know exactly what went down, unless he appears to tell about it.

And without being critical, just want to echo some of the comments here that no fish is worth is. If you have doubts about launching on a particular day, listen to your inner wisdom and pay attention to those doubts, you may just save yourself from a lot of grief.

I hope he will be found. With each passing day it seems as if finding him alive is less likely. Still, if I were his family I wouldn't give up hope till the end. My thoughts and prayers go out to them.

I think you are right about him being found alive. It doesn't look good. Just the same it's good to keep a positive outlook, for his family's sake.