Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NY bight and NJ inshore tuna reports and sightings

Default 2nd fall bluefin tuna reported inshore of LBI

This came from somewhere else. Heard of a tuna beaching itself last week, the guy who reported it ran after it in the wash. This is the latest in the year I can remember hearing of tuna, particularly so close to shore. Any other confirms of inshore tuna sightings?

"All were caught jigging with 8 different types of jigs. They fished from BH Inlet to Surf City. One of the boats fishing nearby reported by radio they landed a bluefin tuna of about 60 pounds on a Stretch 30 Plug. This was the second tuna reported this week. "

A friend of mine was at the Shrewsbury rocks 2 days ago. They had tuna breaking on rainfish within 1000 feet of them. There is still a lot of bait around.

I heard some guy on the radio today saying he saw tuna the other day. We didn't see any, but he swore he did.

Default NY bight and NJ inshore tuna reports and sightings

We tried for tuna today and failed. There were tuna boiling at times within 100 feet of the boat, but they wouldn't touch anything we threw at them. Jigs, poppers, ronZ, a few "almosts" with the poppers, but no hookups. It was frustrating as heck. They seem to be keyed in on the sandeels. The tuna we were working today were within 1 mile of the beach off the Seaside area.
    Thought I would put this up and see if others out there have success until the end of the season. Last year a few nice ones were caught inshore. The guys who got them put in a lot of effort. Good luck out there, to all who are trying.

Al Ristori put this in his column yesterday. It must be wild to chase after tuna so close to shore.

"Dave Riback ran the Queen Mary from Point Pleasant down there where his fares jiigged 53 bass -- of which 31 were keepers. De Stefano also noted that school tuna were breaking off Mantoloking."

Default pez sportfishing

Pez sportfishing got one today. Awesome!

"Captain Stew Hitchner of Pez Machine Sportfishing had a great day fishing off of IBSP in 50-60’ of water! Jigging they had all bass and trolling umbrella rigs produced bass, blues and a little surprise. While trolling an umbrella rig they got locked up with a line screamer! It turned out to be a bluefin tuna estimate to weigh around sixty pounds."

Fantastic report, mucho congrats to Stu Hitchner.

Default Yesterday off seaside

Report from the boat that got it:

53" BFT on a white tailed AVA 47. 62 feet @ seaside pier. Took @ 50 minutes. Shimano Calcutta 400 / Teramar x70H, power pro 50.

@10:00 AM most boats were clearing out of the fleet. We were still picking away on bass and bluefish. Drifted over a nice pile of sandeels with bluefish marks. Dad came tight and knew instantly we were in trouble. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. We managed to chase it down - it was a close call just a few wraps left. Fish did some crazy direction changes, then settled into the standard tuna fight. Dad did a great job keeping the line off the boat and keeping up far more pressure than I though that setup could handle. Ended up gaffing it couple miles east from where we started - just before the westerly started honking. High fives and photos!

Heard about those fish. Nice!

Default bluefin out of Barnegat inlet

These guys got into action on Monday out of BI. Great video!!

Wish I was on that boat.

The tuna are in close. I'm jealous of you guys in Jersey. Here are some pics posted by the guys who got them last week, Adam and J Flores. Outstanding!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a 11-21 bluefin.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	12773
    Attachment 12774
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails jf n a 1 nov 2010.jpg  

Those guys are some of the lucky ones, and definitely deserve some I have friends who have been chasing them for a month now. A few have been caught here and there with small stickbaits and sand eel imitations like Ron-Z. They are tough, and will drive you crazy as you start and stop, start and stop, thinking each time this wil be the hookup. And it's not. The size and ferocity of those screaming drag runs keeps you coming back. You keep hoping that today will be YOUR day. Many congrats to those guys.

Bloody decks!
    Flores is a tuna nut.
    He's one of the best out there. Great catch!

Default Re: NY bight and NJ inshore tuna reports and sightings

In Ristoris blog today

"As if loading up on big bluefish isn't enough action, anglers aboard the Golden Eagle from Belmar today were treated to a lot more at the end of the trip when three yellowfin tuna were boated. Those fish were reported to average 48 pounds. "

Wow thats awesome!

There wa a 50lb yellowfin caught on the Miss Belmar Princess while bluefishing today. Fantastic catching by Kevin Williams of Cream Ridge NJ

Another yellowfin today. All the trouble we go through with hi-tec line because of their great eyesight and these guys hit them with steel leaders. Go figure.

[Some really odd ball yellowfin tuna have been hitting wire-leadered bait rigs on bluefish party boats fishing to the east, and lightning struck once again today for Capt. Rich Falcone of the Golden Eagle from Belmar as a 45-to-50-pounder was boated.]

Don't know if this is the right thread but there was a good bluefin bite earlier this week about 40 miles E of Moiches. Mostly small bluefin in the 50-100 lb class. It may no longer be on when the weather breaks though. Wish I could have been flexible enough to get out there earlier. Double digit catches

I think this video is from there. Prime reel estate. Awesome video!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast