Hutchinson column: Positive developments in fishing regulation

By JIM HUTCHINSON • Correspondent • November 17, 2010

The strong northeast winds and extremely high tides of last week put a big dent in the fishing plans of many anglers. As a result, there are not as many fishing reports as there might normally be.

I figure this might be a good time to bring everyone up to date on some of the most recent developments on the fishing regulation scene. At this point, most of the news I have been getting has been positive.

First, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has denied a petition calling for a ban on the manufacture, use and processing of lead in fishing gear. In response to some extreme environmental groups seeking such a ban, the EPA said that evidence was not found to support any type of restrictions.

This type of a ban would have had a drastic effect on the sinkers and various lures used in saltwater fishing. I agreed with the ban on lead shot for waterfowl hunters that was enacted quite some time ago. The ducks and other waterfowl often sift through the vegetation on the bay bottom looking for food and inadvertently do pick up lead shot.
There is no chance of lead sinkers or bucktails being ingested by waterfowl.
Also recently, the Atlantic States Marine Fishery Council voted to deny a quota increase for commercial striped bass fishing. This proposal would have flown in the face of all of the recent research and fish census reports. Such a move was opposed by many different recreational fishing groups and lobbying organizations, including the Recreational Fishing Alliance.

The ASMFA also last week approved a motion to analyze the social and economic impacts of the current allocation of porgies. Currently, the commercial sector receives 78 percent of the annual porgy quota while the recreational anglers a scant 22 percent.
The decision last week could ultimately lead to porgy reallocation measures in the next 2-to-3 years. Hopefully a similar movement will be made to more equitably divide up the summer flounder quotas which are out of whack against the recreational quotas.
Anglers have been getting out and fishing when they get a chance. I spoke with one surf fisherman who fished in the teeth of the winds last week who needed 14 ounces just to hold bottom.

http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...D=201011170306