Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NY fishing reports for December 2010

Default NY fishing reports for December 2010

LI fishing: NY fishing reports for December 2010
    Important when registering on our site -- use an active email address so you can activate your account to be able to post.

Please post fishing reports here.......as little or as much detail as you want to give.

Please note: NO SPOT BURNING! Posts burning spots will be Edited or DELETED!
    Some veteran fishermen have put in years developing and learning about certain spots.Some of these spots can only handle a few guys at a time. We are losing enough access as it is, due to the unfortunate behavior of a few selfish people. No sense in making it worse.

For some areas, it would be wiser to say:
    OutFront (Ocean) OR -- OutBack (Bay) -- if you feel too many people will figure out what you are talking about. "Spot burning" also could involve mentioning something specific only to that area. If you do this, your post may be edited, or deleted. Remember that thousands of people could potentially read these posts. You don't want to be fishing next to ALL of them at the same time!

IF you are fishing an area that is NOT residential, being vague is less critical. For example, it's acceptable to say (Any)Park, or (Any)Bay, or mention a specific state park that has loads of parking and can handle the crowds.

If you are unclear on this concept, ask yourself:

If I name this place on the internet, will it be too crowded for me to enjoy tomorrow when people hear I got 30 fish here today?

If the answer is "Yes", then you should probably not be so specific.
    More discussion on this:
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ead.php?t=3763

We post these reports so our community will have a sense of what is working, what is not. We want to show people how to catch fish, rather than where.Even if you struck out or got skunked, it would be helpful to hear that as well.

If you have any additional details you would like to share - weather conditions, tide (incoming, outgoing, ebb, flood) water temps, bait present, or other mention of techniques or plugs used - feel free.
    Some acronyms -

BP -- Breezy Point

CB -- CrossBay Bridge
    CI -- Coney Island

Demo -- Sore Thumb/ Democrat Point

FB -- Floyd Bennett
    FI -- Fire Island
    FT -- Fort Tilden Park
    FW -- Fort Wadsworth

GSB - Great South Bay

Jones -- Jones Beach/Debs
    WE -- West End

JBay -- Jamaica Bay
    LB -- Long Beach

MB -- Manhasset Bay
    MI -- Moriches Inlet or nearby
    MPP -- Marine Parkway Bridge

LNB - Little Neck Bay
    OB -- Oyster Bay
    PB -- Peconic Bay

RM -- Robert Moses

SB -- Sheepshead Bay

Shinny -- Shinnecock Inlet or nearby
    SI -- Staten Island

NS -- North Shore
    SS -- South Shore

Mecca -- if you gotta ask where that is, can't help ya

_Crosseyedbass,
    you won the plug in the November random drawing!
    PM me your address so I can send it out to ya!

We post these reports so our community will have a sense of what is working, what is not. We want to show people how to catch fish, rather than where.

If you struck out or got skunked, it would be helpful to hear that as well. Anyone who posts a report can win a plug even if they got skunked!

This month we're giving out plugs from Ace Baits, or something similar.
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...splay.php?f=83

Thanks for posting and helping to make this a great site!

This is just a reminder that the NY striped bass season closes on Dec 15. Not much time left, guys and girls.

SS from 6-8a, 2 rat bass on a tin and teaser. They hit the teaser.

Good going pete at least you got something. I got zilch on the ss this am.

The fish are in close, but we didn't see a lot of beach action today. We jigged almost 3 dozen schoolies this morning, hammered jigs and big crippled herring. Only one keeper bass, 30", plus some cod from 23-27". All off FI in 40' of water.

Fished the south shore 5:45 to 7:30 today, no signs of life or fish where I was.

Hey theres still life!
    Got one rat about 17" on a 1 oz tin and teaser this morning, SS, fish hit the teaser.
    I did see a fat woman in the shadows, tho!

Rockhopper, the fatlady is about halfway through her 1st song.
    I fished moses from 6-7:15a, nothing doing, but birds working, 3 casts out, too far out of reach.

Yeah it is rat season on the SS usually is this time of year the boat boys may do better I really don't think I missed too much not fishing this year.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

You didnt miss that much surfstix. Montauk was a great 3 weeks, better than last year. The rest of the SS had its ups and downs. A lot of the areas I fish were lame. I got a lot of my fish in the back bay or behind inlets until the late fall. And then everyone and their brother knew about RM. The rest of the places I have fished at didn't give up much at night. Even Breezy was a crap shoot this year. It was a lot of hours and driving for a few nice fish as far as I am concerned. Maybe things will be better next year. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. That's about all we can do.

Default hunt for herring.

Spent the last few nights going out an hour at a time near the high tide looking for herring. They have been there. Sometimes it is a slow pick, other times I will catch 15 or 20. This morning I decided to try the SS one last time for bass. It was incredibly cold, and there was ice on the guides of my rod. I fished for one hour after sunrise, on the incoming. Nothing at all. It looks like the fat lady is here in the house, and she's big as ever!
    Wish you all a happy holiday season, and lets hope we will have a good spring out there guys!
    And Darkskies, I got the plug you sent me. Thank you very much for your generosity, and thanks for all that you and Pebbles do. I wish you people and your families the best Christmas and Happy New Year. Stay safe and pm me if you ever want to fish RM together.

Had a day off and went to Breezy with some frozen bunker. My buddy and I got 5 bass to 29" on small chunks. They hit like flounder. We had to hold the rods to hook the fish. Kept one fish, the 29" stripper.

Quote Originally Posted by blitzhunter View Post
    Kept one fish, the 29" stripper.
    Um, I don't think you can keep strippers blitzhunter. You can play with them for awhile as long as you have the dollar bills, but eventually they have to go back to dancing.
    btw, nice report at least you got into some fish. We haven't had any life up here for a month now. It's almost time for cod.

Quote Originally Posted by blitzhunter View Post
    Kept one fish, the 29" stripper.
    Um, I don't think you can keep strippers blitzhunter. You can play with them for awhile as long as you have the dollar bills, but eventually they have to go back to dancing.
    btw, nice report at least you got into some fish. We haven't had any life up here for a month now. It's almost time for cod.

Blitzhunter, the strippers that you can keep are tough, best to catch and release.

Amazing that you guys are still getting out. I fished the ss from 6:30 to 8 today, tins and bucktail, zilch. The fat lady has sung. Saturday might be our last window of good weather.

I went out last night hoping to find some herring and bass, no such luck. I think your right nitestrikes. The fat lady has sung.

I hit 3 different beaches this morning FI area. Tins and teasers, got one herring on a teaser near an inlet. It's over! Time for holiday parties!
    Hey gang the best of luck to you all next year, see yous out there!

Fished OC from 3 til 5pm. Evidently someone forgot to tell the fish to be there. 7 guys on the beach and not one hookup. Oh well. Fat lady is singing for me. Time to pack up the stuff and wait to sling snot with my 2 good buddies. Gonna be a long wait til spring.

Sorry guys I didn't realize I was on the NY reports. Doesn't matter fishing sucks everywhere.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast