Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: St Croix MojoSurf or Legend, some thoughts please?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Central Jersey
    Posts
    2,087

    Default St Croix MojoSurf or Legend, some thoughts please?

    I have been thinking about buying the St Croix Mojo 10'6", around $240.
    The Legend is around $440. I have heard a lot of good things about the Mojo for the price. The Legend as well. I will be plugging the beaches and looking for a spring and fall use rod.

    I wondered if anyone had any experience or feedback. If you have one, what do you like about the rod. Dislike? Are the guides and action on the Legend really better, worth $200 more? Thanks guys.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,306

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by buckethead View Post
    I have been thinking about buying the St Croix Mojo 10'6", around $240.
    The Legend is around $440. I have heard a lot of good things about the Mojo for the price. The Legend as well. I will be plugging the beaches and looking for a spring and fall use rod.

    I wondered if anyone had any experience or feedback. If you have one, what do you like about the rod. Dislike? Are the guides and action on the Legend really better, worth $200 more? Thanks guys.
    hey bro i have the mojo 10.6 i think its a great surf rod for the money its a braid only rod
    i wish they made a 9.6 mojo surf but the 10.6 that i have works 3.5 oz. pencil with no problem at all

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,058

    Default

    I think the Legend has the alconite guides.
    If you fish in all kind of conditions it might be worth the coin. I have a few friends who bought the Mojo, and they seem pretty happy with it.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Raleigh NC
    Posts
    1,136

    Default

    i've got a st croix ben doerr surf rod that i like a lot. it's my go-to plugger.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Central Jersey
    Posts
    261

    Default

    If you are going to spend that kind of money, then why not go for a custom rod. You get the blank you want, the guides you want, it's made to your measurements, it's wrapped the colors you want, it's balanced, and you end up with more guides than factory to avoid breakage. For 300-400 you can have the rod of your dreams.
    "Don't be shy, give it a try"

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Central Jersey
    Posts
    261

    Default

    If you are going to spend that kind of money, then why not go for a custom rod. You get the blank you want, the guides you want, it's made to your measurements, it's wrapped the colors you want, it's balanced, and you end up with more guides than factory to avoid breakage. For 300-400 you can have the rod of your dreams.
    "Don't be shy, give it a try"

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Long Island,N.Y.
    Posts
    2,581

    Default

    If you go on Surfcasters Journal Lou Caruso has some vids on the testing he did w/ the mojo and once on youtube if you click on all vids by surfcasters journal they have tested the legend also.Personally if I were looking at the legend and $400 plus I'd be calling Fin or Doublerunner as Cardoc said for that money maybe more it can be built to your specs matched to your reel and you will be getting much more for the money vs. a factory rod.The Mojo is designed by St. Croix and manufactured in Mexico and has a 5 yr. warranty while the legend is manufactured in Park Fall by St. Croix and has a lifetime limited warranty.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Central Jersey
    Posts
    261

    Default

    I have learned from Finchaser, that there is more to building a rod than just putting a name on it. I have looked at some St Croix's, lamiglas, and other high end rods lately. When looking at a rod blank, each one has a spline down the shaft. A lot of the rods i have checked were not built on the spline which is the strongest part of the rod. From what Fin has shown me and taught me, a rod not built on the spline will twist on casts and you don't even see it. Also, you stand the chance of breakage which is common on high end rods. That is why a custom builder will add more guides, make sure it's built on the spline for accuracy and durability, and very important - balance the rod for you. That way your arms are not fighting to hold the rod tip up. It will naturally rest in your hands eliminating arm and shoulder fatigue. To spend $400 bucks on a rod that may not be built correctly or should I say precisely, imo woudl be crazy. I certainly would find a rod that I like or a couple of them. Then talk to finchaser and get a price from him on building it. I promise you will be happier and very pleased that you made the decision to do it that way.
    "Don't be shy, give it a try"

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Long Island,N.Y.
    Posts
    2,581

    Default

    When I see if I can get back into this someday seriously I will get a rod built I need to take my back into major consideration.also you will see the ugly stik customs all spin on a cast and all of them shatter at the joint I had a quite a few break kept sending them back, I have one left but it will never make it through a serious fishing session one blue and its all over for that rod.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    inside a wormhole, Mass.
    Posts
    1,867

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cardoc765 View Post
    I have learned from Finchaser, that there is more to building a rod than just putting a name on it. I have looked at some St Croix's, lamiglas, and other high end rods lately. When looking at a rod blank, each one has a spline down the shaft. A lot of the rods i have checked were not built on the spline which is the strongest part of the rod. From what Fin has shown me and taught me, a rod not built on the spline will twist on casts and you don't even see it. Also, you stand the chance of breakage which is common on high end rods. That is why a custom builder will add more guides, make sure it's built on the spline for accuracy and durability, and very important - balance the rod for you. To spend $400 bucks on a rod that may not be built correctly or should I say precisely, imo woudl be crazy.
    You cannot have the precision and attention to detail at the factory that a custom buider will put into it. I would consider the mojosurf as the price isn't that bad, but the legend, for the price, I would pay for a custom.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    334

    Default

    mojosurf review, around $200


    legend review. around $400 +

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    3,962

    Default

    Here's what I think of them (10'6" rods, 3/4 - 4 oz)):
    The Mojo 3/4-4 oz is a great rod for the money. Its "softer" than any rod I have ever used, is very light (can throw with it forever without getting tired). I have thrown 3/4 oz up to 3 oz without a problem. The reel seat is cheap, I did not like it. Otherwise, put a butt cap on it and its a very good, different, light rod.
    I am now using the 3/4 - 4 oz Legend and its the best all around rod I have ever used. I put a rubber butt cap on the rod as soon as I got it and its an awesome rod. Light, powerful, sensitive. Works pencils, throws light plugs, does everything I need it to do. I really like the grip, much better than anything else I have used.
    While the Mojo is a real nice, fun rod, worth the mony, the Legend is as light, more powerful, sensitive, a better quality rod, and just feels like a high end rod. The Legend has a better warranty also.
    If I was to spend up to two hundred dollars I would buy the Mojo if that was the type of rod I was looking for. I bought the Legend (used, a guy fished with it for a few weeks) and am extremely happy with it. I had been using a Lami Supersurf 10' 1-4 oz (1 piece) rod for a few years as my primary rod. Its a great all around rod, an awesome rod. The Legend is lighter, faster, I like it more. Its a rocket launcher.

    One thing about buying higher end rods, I usually either buy used or have found some very good prices by talking with tackle stores selling rods (have gotten lucky a few times). If I remember correctly I have seen almost new Mojos (used a few times) for $150 - $175).
    Also, when I looked at the Mojo or Legend with the different oz ratings the rod action was completely different, not to my liking.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Deliverance River, NJ
    Posts
    2,732

    Default

    Thanks for the comments Monty. I was thinking of picking up a mojosurf for the fall. Good advice about getting discounts, too.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    3,962

    Default

    With the Mojo, before buying make sure the real seat does not rotate in regards to the rod. Some Mojo rods have this problem (I am pretty sure St. Croix fixed the problem, but if its an old rod that did not sell it could have the problem). I have seen this problem, St Croix will fix it, but its a pain in the a$$. Maybe put a reel on it at the store and check it.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Ocean County,NJ
    Posts
    4,619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    With the Mojo, before buying make sure the real seat does not rotate in regards to the rod. Some Mojo rods have this problem (I am pretty sure St. Croix fixed the problem, but if its an old rod that did not sell it could have the problem). I have seen this problem, St Croix will fix it, but its a pain in the a$$. Maybe put a reel on it at the store and check it.
    I have fixed a few not a hard fix. One other thing both the Mojo and the Legend are designed for braid they are lousy with mono really cuts down on the distance

    Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •