Thread: St Croix MojoSurf or Legend, some thoughts please?

Hybrid View

Here's what I think of them (10'6" rods, 3/4 - 4 oz)):
    The Mojo 3/4-4 oz is a great rod for the money. Its "softer" than any rod I have ever used, is very light (can throw with it forever without getting tired). I have thrown 3/4 oz up to 3 oz without a problem. The reel seat is cheap, I did not like it. Otherwise, put a butt cap on it and its a very good, different, light rod.
    I am now using the 3/4 - 4 oz Legend and its the best all around rod I have ever used. I put a rubber butt cap on the rod as soon as I got it and its an awesome rod. Light, powerful, sensitive. Works pencils, throws light plugs, does everything I need it to do. I really like the grip, much better than anything else I have used.
    While the Mojo is a real nice, fun rod, worth the mony, the Legend is as light, more powerful, sensitive, a better quality rod, and just feels like a high end rod. The Legend has a better warranty also.
    If I was to spend up to two hundred dollars I would buy the Mojo if that was the type of rod I was looking for. I bought the Legend (used, a guy fished with it for a few weeks) and am extremely happy with it. I had been using a Lami Supersurf 10' 1-4 oz (1 piece) rod for a few years as my primary rod. Its a great all around rod, an awesome rod. The Legend is lighter, faster, I like it more. Its a rocket launcher.

One thing about buying higher end rods, I usually either buy used or have found some very good prices by talking with tackle stores selling rods (have gotten lucky a few times). If I remember correctly I have seen almost new Mojos (used a few times) for $150 - $175).
    Also, when I looked at the Mojo or Legend with the different oz ratings the rod action was completely different, not to my liking.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Thanks for the comments Monty. I was thinking of picking up a mojosurf for the fall. Good advice about getting discounts, too.

With the Mojo, before buying make sure the real seat does not rotate in regards to the rod. Some Mojo rods have this problem (I am pretty sure St. Croix fixed the problem, but if its an old rod that did not sell it could have the problem). I have seen this problem, St Croix will fix it, but its a pain in the a$$. Maybe put a reel on it at the store and check it.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    With the Mojo, before buying make sure the real seat does not rotate in regards to the rod. Some Mojo rods have this problem (I am pretty sure St. Croix fixed the problem, but if its an old rod that did not sell it could have the problem). I have seen this problem, St Croix will fix it, but its a pain in the a$$. Maybe put a reel on it at the store and check it.
    I have fixed a few not a hard fix. One other thing both the Mojo and the Legend are designed for braid they are lousy with mono really cuts down on the distance

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again