Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: National Saltwater Angler Registry Program

Default National Saltwater Angler Registry Program

DEPARTMENT OF COMMERCE

National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration

RIN 0648-XA050

National Saltwater Angler Registry Program

AGENCY: National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS), National Oceanic and
    Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), Commerce.

ACTION: Notice.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

SUMMARY: NMFS has established an annual fee of fifteen dollars ($15.00)
    for registration of anglers, spear fishers and for-hire fishing vessels
    to register under the National Saltwater Angler Registry Program.

DATES: The registration fee will be required effective January 1, 2011.

ADDRESSES: Gordon C. Colvin, Fishery Biologist, NMFS ST-12453, 1315
    East-West Highway, Silver Spring, MD 20910.

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT: Gordon C. Colvin, Fishery Biologist;
    (301) 713-2367 x175; e-mail:
    Gordon.Colvin@noaa.gov.

SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION: The final rule implementing the National
    Saltwater Angler Registry Program, 50 CFR part 600, subpart P, was published in the Federal Register on December 30, 2008. The final rule states that persons registering with NMFS must pay an annual fee effective January 1, 2011, and that NMFS will publish the annual schedule for such fees in the Federal Register.

NMFS has determined that the annual registration fee for anglers, spear fishers and for-hire fishing vessels will be fifteen dollars ($15.00). All persons registering on or after January 1, 2011 will be required to pay the registration fee, unless they are exempt as indigenous people per the provisions of 50 CFR 600.1410(f).

Dated: November 22, 2010.
    Eric C. Schwaab,
    Assistant Administrator for Fisheries, National Marine Fisheries Service.
    [FR Doc. 2010-29810 Filed 11-24-10; 8:45 am]

http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2010/2010-29810.htm

An interesting post I found:

According to the verbiage in 600.1410 Subpart P-Marine Recreational Fisheries of the United States under the Registry process 600.1410 section, number (d), starting on page 79,718 it states: "NMFS will issue a registration number and certificate to registrants. A registration number and certificate will be valid for one year from the date on which it was issued."

50 CFR 600 Marine Recreational Fisheries of the United States

Due to the registration process as defined by the National Marine Fisheries Service New Jersey anglers can register on December 31, 2010 and not pay a fee associated with the Federal Angler Registry for 2011 up to December 30, 2011. I am sure many anglers will take advantage of this loophole in the registration process in the event that New Jersey does not pass legislation for a free or nominal fee registry in 2010.

Jersey Joe

http://bhweb.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=136892#Post1368 92

PART 600-MAGNUSON-STEVENS ACT PROVISIONS

Subpart P--Marine Recreational Fisheries of the United States

ยง 600.1410 Registry process.

d. NMFS will issue a registration number and certificate to registrants. A registration number and certificate will be valid for one year from the date on which it was issued.

Here is a working link to the Final Rule PDF. Large file 2.59 mb. Section mentioned is on page 60.

https://www.countmyfish.noaa.gov/abo...Final_Rule.pdf

S1122:
    12/9/2010 10:00:00 AM Environment and Energy
    Committee Room 10, 3rd Floor, State House Annex, Trenton, NJ

Senate Environment and Energy Thursday, December 09, 2010 - 10:00 AM
    Meeting - Committee Room 10, 3rd Floor, State House Annex, Trenton, NJ

The committee will hear testimony from representatives of the Department of Environmental Protection and members of the public concerning the department's implementation of the "Site Remediation Reform Act," P.L.2009, c.60.

Bill AbstractCurrent StatusLDOA
    A823 Saltwater fishing, free reg.-estab. SEN3/22/2010
    A2529 Renewable energy tech.-revise SEN11/8/2010
    S1122 Saltwater fishing registry-estab. free SEN2/4/2010
    S2306 Renewable energy tech.-revise SEN9/23/2010
    S2371 Solar Renewable Energy Cert.-purchase SEN11/8/2010

Default Loophole

Quote Originally Posted by njdiver View Post
    An interesting post I found:

[Due to the registration process as defined by the National Marine Fisheries Service New Jersey anglers can register on December 31, 2010 and not pay a fee associated with the Federal Angler Registry for 2011 up to December 30, 2011. I am sure many anglers will take advantage of this loophole in the registration process in the event that New Jersey does not pass legislation for a free or nominal fee registry in 2010
    That's good news, we pay too many fees as it is. I paid for my NY saltwater license last year because I fish there occasionally. Then I found out we didn't need it if we had the NOAA one. Any way that I can save money in this economy is appreciated, thanks.

What a great loophole. How are they going to be able to keep track of those who wait until the last minute then claim they changed their mind and did not fish? Fee goes unpaid.

Buckethead the way I read it we should all register now to save the fee. The only way for them to realistically check registration in the field is with the card in your possession. Get it now, as others have said, and you're home free. And also work on your legislators in NJ to push for the NJ saltwater license. There's a hearing on it on Dec 9 as NJDiver mentions in post #3. Anyone who has the time would be well-advised to check it out this upcoming Thursday.

The pressure from the e-mails and constituents is forcing these legislators to realize they can't ignore a NJ saltwater license any longer. Thanks to all out there who are bringing this issue to the forefront of angler awareness. We all owe a debt of gratitude to NJDiver for his persistence in raising awareness of these issues. Many are either unaware or are happy to let the next guy take care of it. It's really up to all of us to get involved. Thanks for the vigilance, NJDiver.

NJ Senate Environmental and Energy Committee

Senator Bob Smith - Chair
    Legislative District 17

216 Stelton Road
    Suite E-5
    Piscataway, NJ 08854-3284

Phone: 732-752-0770
    Fax: 732-752-1590

Email: SenBSmith@njleg.org
    Official Website: http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/members/BIO.asp?Leg=53

Senator Robert M. Gordon - Vice-Chair
    Legislative District 38

14-25 Plaza Road
    P.O. Box 398
    Fair Lawn, NJ 07410

Phone: 201-703-9779
    Fax: 201-703-8127

Email: SenGordon@njleg.org
    Official Website: http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/members/BIO.asp?Leg=307

Senator Christopher "Kip" Bateman
    Legislative District 16

36 East Main Street
    Somerville, NJ 08876-2308

Phone: 908-526-3600
    Fax: 908-707-4578

Email: SenBateman@njleg.org
    Official Website: http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/members/BIO.asp?Leg=304

Senator James Beach
    Legislative District 6

1916 Route 70 East
    Suite 3
    Cherry Hill, NJ 08003-2172

Phone: 856-489-3442
    Fax: 856-489-4180

Email: SenBeach@njleg.org
    Official Website: http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/members/BIO.asp?Leg=310

Senator Jennifer Beck
    Legislative District 12

32 Monmouth Street
    3rd Floor
    Red Bank, NJ 07701

Phone: 732-933-1591
    Fax: 732-933-1598

Email: SenBeck@njleg.org
    Official Website: http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/members/BIO.asp?Leg=303

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    And also work on your legislators in NJ to push for the NJ saltwater license. There's a hearing on it on Dec 9 as NJDiver mentions in post #3. Anyone who has the time would be well-advised to check it out this upcoming Thursday.

Darkskies, it is not for a license. A823 Requires DEP to establish free recreational saltwater fishing registry and S1122 Requires DEP to establish free recreational saltwater fishing registry. They do just what their titles say.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    The pressure from the e-mails and constituents is forcing these legislators to realize they can't ignore a NJ saltwater license any longer. Thanks to all out there who are bringing this issue to the forefront of angler awareness. We all owe a debt of gratitude to NJDiver for his persistence in raising awareness of these issues. Many are either unaware or are happy to let the next guy take care of it. It's really up to all of us to get involved. Thanks for the vigilance, NJDiver.

I too thank all who contacted Senator Smith’s office. Now we need to contact the other Senators on the committee to vote to pass on this legislation to the Senate before the end of the year.

NJdiver, as always, thanks for the clarification. You're absolutely correct, it's a registry not a license. I've been a little behind in keeping up on this, and genuinely appreciate your unselfish efforts.
    I know others do too.
    Especially when you illustrate how it concerns them and the money they will be spending.

I think the whole thing suxxx. I would rather give my money to NY. When the federal gov't gets it, they don't even put it back into fishing. Just another tax for them to grab our dollars, that's what I think of them.

11. Where will the money go?

Fees collected by the National Saltwater Angler Registry will go to the Federal treasury. They will not be designated for any specific purpose. In the case of anglers who are automatically registered when they buy a state license, money paid to the state will be used for purposes determined by that state. If you have a saltwater fishing license, call your state department of natural resources for more information.

https://www.countmyfish.noaa.gov/faq_registry.html#11

njdiver, thanks for posting all the legislative contacts. There are a few people who I heard are holding it up, beyond Bob Smith. Contact the ones in your district and get them to support this.

My Senator is a co-sponsor of the bill.

NEW JERSEY LEGISLATIVE CALENDAR

Vol. XXXIV No. 82
    Internet Update IV
    CALENDAR SUBJECT TO CHANGE 214th Legislature

Prepared: December 14, 2010

MONDAY, DECEMBER 20, 2010

****SENATE SESSION 2:00 PM Senate Chambers

Voting Session:

A823 [Albano, Nelson T./Milam, Matthew W.+2], Saltwater fishing, free reg.-estab.

S1122 [Van Drew, Jeff/Beck, Jennifer+1], Saltwater fishing registry-estab. free

A823 Requires DEP to establish free recreational saltwater fishing registry.

Passed both Houses

1/6/2011 Received in the Assembly, 2nd Reading on Concurrence
    1/6/2011 Passed Assembly (Passed Both Houses) (66-7-3)

So any idea when the NJ registry will actually have to be signed up for?

Quote Originally Posted by fishinmission78 View Post
    So any idea when the NJ registry will actually have to be signed up for?
    A bill becomes law with the Governor's signature or after 45 days if no action is taken. If the House of origin is in recess on the 45th day, the time is extended until it reconvenes. If a bill is vetoed it may become law if the Legislature overrides the veto by a 2/3 vote. A bill that is conditionally vetoed is returned to the legislative body for changes.

http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/legislativepub/legprocess.asp

A little confusing to me, Sorry. If the state resitry is free do we still have to register for the Federal Registry and the fee?

Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles View Post
    A little confusing to me, Sorry. If the state resitry is free do we still have to register for the Federal Registry and the fee?

Yes. The legislation has yet to be signed into law. If you are not registered with NOAA yet or your certificate expires you must register with them and now it will cost $15.00. The money going into the Federal Treasury not to fisheries.

So what is stopping people from just registering in their states, if they have the license, and not registering with NOAA? they can't arrest you if you don't have a NOAA card and just have the state one, can they?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast