Thread: what is it about being in the surf?

Hybrid View

Default what is it about being in the surf?

I fished this morning, no fish. I saw bait and birds about 1/2 mile out. If I was in a boat we probably could of hooked up with some fish, maybe not. Maybe they were just herring or sandeels with no bass under them.
    But I really like walking the sand, or fishing the rocks and inlets at night.
    Walking out on the sandbar at low tide and hoping for a few bass or bluefish, you can't do that from a boat. Still, you would probably catch more fish on a boat, so why do I like the surf so much?
    Sunrises and sunsets, for one.
    This time of year you have a lot of open space. Not many guys are fishing, except today there seemed to be more people.
    Why do we do what we do?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic 3408814.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	12807

Quote Originally Posted by basshunter View Post
    Not many guys are fishing, except today there seemed to be more people.
    Why do we do what we do?
    I agree. If the beach becomes too crowded you can always go on a boat. Or a yak. The yak is good because you can reach places that aren't accessible by a lot of folks. Still, there is something about the pounding waves, or the silent sunrise that builds to a crescendo if there are fish around (not many lately) and the birds and bait go nutz!
    There is the challenge of walking out on the bar, not getting wet in the trough, and keeping your position when the surf is big and knocking you around.
    Catching fish is the ultimate goal, but there is so much more to it, it's hard to define in my head why I keep going out there. I just do.

Solitude and peace and quiet.
    I like the solitude most of all, which is why I fish at night a lot. There's something about being out there in the darkness, just you, nature, and the water, sand, rocks, whatever.

We're all entitled to fish where we want, no one owns the beach. I truly hate crowds, unless that's the only option. Give me a place where I can have a lot of elbow room to myself, and that's where I'll be.

When you are in the surf its just you against the fish. You have to use everything you got to trick him. And even when you're hooked up, you could always lose it in a wave or in the wash. It makes you know that you have to be on top of your game to land a big fish in the surf. Thats what does it for me.

I like the solitude, yet the camaraderie with the other surfcasters. The challenge of fooling a bass with an artificial. The sheer beauty and ferocity of the surf. The way the senses are on edge at 2:00 am when I am alone either ocean side or bay side. My mind is solely on finding and fooling fish, there is nothing else. It resets the mind, relieves stress. Its fun, challenging, exciting and I love the rush when fooling a bass or fighting a Blue Fish.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    The challenge of fooling a bass with an artificial. The sheer beauty and ferocity of the surf. The way the senses are on edge at 2:00 am when I am alone either ocean side or bay side.
    Beautifully said Monty! I like the challenge whether I am catching or not. There are no guarantees out there.

Getting away from it all, the wife, kids, pressures of everyday life - I leave all that behind when I go out to fish.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    Give me a place where I can have a lot of elbow room to myself, and that's where I'll be.
    Guess with those waders you had on in November elbow room wasn't a problem.....................

Just kidding....mine were not allowed in the house or for that matter the garage for a few week period.
    I 'm with you on the crowd thing, I hate them and completely avoid them.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)