Thread: what is it about being in the surf?

Hybrid View

Beautiful water in that video, Pete, got wood just looking at it. IMO Rhody has some of the nicest coastline in the East.

From as far back as I can remember, I have been chasing Bass. In the beginning it was for cash. We would Fish Narrie from a boat, usually at night unless it was early spring. I always looked forward to the fall as we would put our attention to the outer Cape Beaches back when Fall runs actually happened. That was back when a surf caster could actually make a decent living standing on the sand.
    I had my "Boat Phase" up until 8 or 9 years ago. Truth is, and I hope this does not come accross as Arrogant, Boats bore the pi$$ out of me. They are too easy to catch fish from. At one time I had 3. The first 2 to go, were the bigger, high maintenance, expensive to run Fishing machines. I kept the smaller one for a while and it sat through 2 seasons before I gotrid of it.
    The memories of the surf from my younger days haunted me, consumed me, and beckoned me back.
    There are many reasons surf casting holds our attention. For me?
    Some of the points hold true as stated above. My stomping grounds are rockie and dangerous even on a good day. The best days to be on these points are the days when everyone else is running away from the shoreline. I love the crash of heavy weather pushed curling body crushers on the rocks that sends spray 30 feet over your head. Casting a personally made or made by a freinds custom plug into the rips and wash created by the violent surf. Understanding and expecting the hammering slam of a Large Bass can happen at any time keeps the addrenaline pumping like nothing else.Even getting skunked doesnt matter because you have never felt so alive as when you are so close to this edge.
    Then there are the days when the surf isnt so big, and the water might be a little warm, or the wind not so right, and you need to figure things out, read the water hard, pick the right plug, or sling a few Eels. These fish are special because you had to use all your accumulated knowledge, extreme patience, and perservierance to get tight with one.
    Boaters, for the most part, at least the "average" boater neither knows or needs to know most of the things a surf caster must. Water too warm close in? Head out go deeper, look for rocks on bottom in the fish finder and drop a chunk. Wind wrong, power up and head to where it doesnt matter.
    I have been Skishing for a few years now, and this method has opened up tactics that allow me to use some of my boating knowledge to enhance my surf casting prowess. The biggest thing I love about Skishing is being one on one in the Bass's house. The tactical ability to fish water boats cant get into, and I couldnt reach from shore in the past.
    Surfcasting is not a seasonal or weekend endeavor for me, its a life style that consumes my life daily.
    The ones that get it are my salty brothers, those that dont, are just people that like to spend some time fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by JustEd View Post
    The memories of the surf from my younger days haunted me, consumed me, and beckoned me back.
    There are many reasons surf casting holds our attention. For me?
    Some of the points hold true as stated above. My stomping grounds are rockie and dangerous even on a good day. The best days to be on these points are the days when everyone else is running away from the shoreline. I love the crash of heavy weather pushed curling body crushers on the rocks that sends spray 30 feet over your head. Casting a personally made or made by a freinds custom plug into the rips and wash created by the violent surf. Understanding and expecting the hammering slam of a Large Bass can happen at any time keeps the addrenaline pumping like nothing else.Even getting skunked doesnt matter because you have never felt so alive as when you are so close to this edge.
    ...The ones that get it are my salty brothers, those that dont, are just people that like to spend some time fishing.

Awesome way of looking at things guy! I totally agree!

Hey guys this video nails it COLD! AWESOME!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rockhopper View Post
    Hey guys this video nails it COLD! AWESOME!!!!
    Cool video, can't be more hardcore than that.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Now that's what I'm talkin about! I hear you rockhopper and monty that is an awesome video and you can't get more hardcore than that. Thanks for sharing.

That video is great. Pure adrenaline.

Quote Originally Posted by 7deadlyplugs View Post
    Now that's what I'm talkin about! I hear you rockhopper and monty that is an awesome video and you can't get more hardcore than that. Thanks for sharing.
    after watching that I have this urge to get out on a sand bar in the Jersey surf and take a wave over my head. Gotta love the enthusiasm Bill has in that video.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)