Thread: Trip to Cabelas...

Default New Reel

This past weekend my wife and I went to Cabela's in PA, WOW it was sportsman heaven. Anyway I ordered a Daiwa TDA 4000A reel which they did not have in stock. They waived the shipping cost and I already received it today, Thurs. What a beautifully designed piece of machinery 0 backlash in the gearing and you get an extra spool. They recommend putting the line on as if it were a conventional reel. can anyone shed any light on that? I always put my line on spinning tackle with the side of the spool facing the spool on the reel to avoid twist. Any comments?

Mike O

I would think it's got something to do with line memory. For spooling mono on baitrunners, you spool on a dowel, and let the line go on exactly as it comes off the spool to avoid line twist. For spinning reels, they say it's ok to let the line spool off by itself, on the ground, or from a bucket filled with water. I spool all my reels the way recommended for conventionals, never had a problem. Of course, I would think it matters even less with braid. Mike, how do you like the lightweight airbail system. I checked it out, and wasn't sure if it's solid enough for me or not. Did you take it apart to look at it ? Do you have any pictures of it yet? Post them for us? BTW, you're spot on about Cabelas. That place has to be experienced at least once.

lostatsea, I spool that way as well.

They waived shipping? So what was the total damage for that reel?

Default New Reel

I just got the reel on Thurs. so I haven't tried it yet. I think I will wait til the weather is a little less cold. As far as the "Air Bail" the only function it serves is to pickup the line. I've heard that some guys take them off the reel and just manually put the line on the roller. I have never tried that myself but I guess it is possible as long as you keep tension on the line. The price of the reel was 159.99. A far cry from the 40 dollars I paid for the last reel I purchased back in the late 80's. I'll try and post some pictures. It looks as if Daiwa put a lot of thought in the design and the machining of this reel. We will see how it holds up this coming season to some of the big slammer blues. That will be the true test. Talk to you soon.

Mike O

Hope you're happy with the reel, good luck.

Default Old and new reel pictures

I need some help here. I put some pictures on my desktop, but I don't know how to put them in the thread.

Thanks,
    Mike O

Mike --To upload photos in a thread you can follow these guidelines.

Go to "post reply" (can not use quick reply)

scroll down to and click "manage attachments"

click "browse"
    Find your file or picture file where they are stored on your computer.

click "open" when you have found the correct file.

click "upload" to upload pics no bigger than 70k for jpgs

The pics will upload, and you will see the results in the window when you see the file name.

Then, close this window by clicking "close window" at the bottom of that window.

Preview post to make sure that is what you wanted. Once you have done this a few times, this step is not necessary and can be eliminated.

If it is what you want, then click "submit reply".

Pictures can be no bigger than 70K. When you go into manage attachments there is a key chart which outlines the maximum picture size allowed for each document or photo type.

If your pictures are larger they need to be resized. There are many resizing programs out there. One recommended by CNET is Fast Stone Photo Resizer. This can be downloaded for free. Here is the link: http://www.faststone.org/FSResizerDetail.htm

Let me know if you have further trouble, Mike.

Default resize

That did not work for me. Oh well there are plenty of pictures on the web of this reel. Daiwa TDA4000A.

Mike O

Mike,

check your email, - Joe

Joe,
    I think I figured it out. This is a shot of my son holding a fish that "I" caught this past Nov.

Mike O
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PB090028.JPG  

Default Old and new reel pictures

Now that I have figured out how to resize the pictures, here they are.

Mike O
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Old.JPG   New.JPG  

Those reels are sweet Mike. I really don't need one but the urge is coming on strong after seeing those pics.

Default Trip to Cabelas...

Thought you hunters might like the pics. My waders stunk and leaked so bad it was finally time to replace them. Pebbles and I took a road trip to the one in PA. I brought the old waders in, (dry and slightly clean, but they still stank a bit)

I had the receipt. They didn't carry the Alaskan Guide series of breathables any more, so they gave me a credit toward a new pair. I'm impressed by their guarantee and great customer service.

Here's some pics I took of the stuffed animals and the trout and salmon in their ice cold pond...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP0971.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	15.5 KB 
ID:	12941

Name:	IMGP0975.JPG 
Size:	18.8 KB 
ID:	12943

Name:	IMGP0974.JPG 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	12942

Default More animal pics

Here's the rest

Name:	IMGP0978.JPG 
Size:	17.6 KB 
ID:	12949Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP0980.JPG 
Size:	13.9 KB 
ID:	12948Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP0981.JPG 
Size:	14.4 KB 
ID:	12947Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP0976.JPG 
Size:	14.9 KB 
ID:	12945

Name:	IMGP0977.JPG 
Size:	19.5 KB 
ID:	12944

From what I heard the boys will be glad you got your new waders check the suspender clips on those I think I had them and returned them because they wouldn't unsnap they took them back the ones I had were a push in clip not the snap in clips just check I like to get out if I have to.I cant see the straps in the pic blind in one eye and can't see out of the other old age is setting in i guess.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

I hear ya Surf!
    I used to be able to read the small print on a poster or any kind of notice from clear across the room. Now I'm lost without my glasses.
    I don't even think of us as getting older, until the reality of cloudy vision slaps me in the face.
    Have a great New Year's, hope 2010 will bring us all some better circumstances.

Thanks for the tip about the suspender clips.
    (BTW now ya can't see the new waders at all, I edited the pics to move that one to another thread. So don't think your eyes are really playing tricks on you.... )