Thread: DCH Honda in Paramus - Avoid at all costs

Thumbs down DCH Honda in Paramus - Avoid at all costs

Some of ya's know I had to find a used car this year because the van I had kept breaking down, and it was time to junk it.

Pebbles and I covered PA and NJ looking for a deal on a used one. We needed a reliable car that would last at least 10 years and 200,000 miles as I do a lot of driving.

We decided on a Subaru. She found some decent used deals for me, and we went looking. It was hard to find a used one that didn't have a lot of miles on it. We finally found one at DCH Honda in Paramus, brought in as a trade in.

We drove the car, liked it.
    I offered them $700 under listed price.

That's when the deception began.

The salesman we were directed to, Martin, was a bundle of mis-information and deception.

He immediately directed us to the sales manager, who assured we could buy the car at the price I offered, IF " we were willing to make a deal that day"

This is standard dealership sales talk, I've been through it many times before.

Level after level of deception and wasting the customer's time -

We tried to buy the car at the price the sales manager said they would sell it to us for. They balked, said it was not possible after "discussing with the general manager". They cried they wouldn't be making any $$ on it and that was the wholesale price they could sell to a wholesaler for.

They told us so many half-truths and deceptive statements in the end I wasn't sure what the truth was. Pebbles and I walked out of the dealership, telling them to call me if they would meet the original price I offered.

We got several calls from them over the next 2 weeks, asking us if we were still interested. I stated my original offer, they wouldn't budge on their side.

The last desparate call was when Martin called and said the car had been sold, the potential buyer wasn't able to get financing. Yet they still wouldn't budge on the price or accept my offer. Why even bother calling me?

Your experience with DCH may be different than mine. However, based on the lies and deception we faced, and the run-around, I would advice any acquaintance or friend not to go there or trust any representations they make.

Poor customer service, mis-leading statements, and a general practice of deception is what we faced while there. As mentioned, I've been through that "dance" several times over the years. My concern is with a new buyer who might not know how to recognize these poor business practices.

So, buyer beware, there are many other dealerships out there who deserve your hard-earned dollars.