Thread: A thought

I'm from Manhattan, live in Ct., but my heart is in SoCo.

Default A thought

While driving home from New Haven last night, a memory from years gone by entered my head. I often think about dad, and the times we went fishing together, many, many moons ago. It seems like another lifetime, a time when younger and free from the anxieties that one has. Years ago, my dad had a boat in Sheepshead Bay, Bklyn. In the summer dad would take out charters, and i would mate. I loved this opportunity to get out on the ocean and fish. I have developed a strong passion for being by the water and doing what I love to do, that being fishing.

So, last night was no different than other times, thinking about days gone by, and my fishing times. But this night I thought about a cold day in March, with my kid brother Tommy.
    During the winter months, dad left the boat in the water, as many at the marina did. Dad would go down to the Parkway Marina every weekend to check on her, it was what was done. It was a decent boat as boats go, a 35' sports fisherman. It fished six comfortably.

On this day though, in March, I wanted to fish, as a I always did. So dad got us some blood worms, a can of corn and a therom of Dunkin' Donuts coffee. We always had the DD coffee on those cold days. Back at that time there weren't many DD's around, but the one on Emmons Ave. was the one we all knew.

It was pre St. Patricks day, the official/unofficial opening of flounder season. A time when there weren't the opening and closing of season's like we have today. One wanted to go fishing and they just went. What a blessing that was, especially for a youngster with the urge to fish!

Dad dropped us off, on the Manhattan Beach side of the walk bridge that spanned the bay. A spot that we knew was productive this time of the year. There were a few locals lined along the rail, all braving the cold. We baited out hooks with the cut up blood worms, and topped the worm off with a couple of corn kernels. And as soon as the bait hit the bottom, it was, tap. tap tap. I thought, this is gonna be a good day. I myself had high hook, with the locals just looking on. A wonderful feeling for a youngster with a passion for fishing. The flounders were fat, with a couple of herring mixed in.

I think back of these times, with less regulations, more fish and just a different feeling about this thing we do. A time when the fish were more abundant than they are today. I thank God for the fond memories, of the days gone by. Carefree times of my youth.
    EACH ONE, TEACH ONE !
    <*((())))>< <*((())))><

jimmy, I for one thank you for that short memory clip. I know there are more out there. Always enjoy reading them. The memories always keep you from being lonely. Thanks again jimmy.

Happy Trails

Great story. Reminds me of when I was a kid and My Dad used to take us out fishing from Mystic Island.We caught crabs, bluefish, small stripers, blowfish, and some oyster crackers. Once in a while we caught a big striper back there, especially in the spring with clams near Graveling Point. Those were good times back then, a lot simpler. Thanks for sharing the memories,

Wow, memories of fishing times past. Really nice, I felt like I was there.

Great memories brought me right back to my younger days fishing with my grandfather.Spent the summers at his house they lived on the water crabbing,fishing, clamming, digging steamers, spearing eels,picking musels for flounder chum and bait the good ole days not a care in the world.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

What a great story. Those are memories which will never be forgotten. Reading it I remembered my Dad, who passed several years ago. He used to take me fishing up at the lake a short distance from the house. I must have been 4 at the time and those sunfish were about 5 inches long, seemed like monsters to me. Thanks for the memories.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy z View Post
    I think back of these times, with less regulations, more fish and just a different feeling about this thing we do. A time when the fish were more abundant than they are today. I thank God for the fond memories, of the days gone by. Carefree times of my youth.

My mind goes back to those simpler times many a day, Jimmy. So carefree, with none of the hassles about licenses, striper biomass, fishing closures, and muggings and cell phone fishermen. We just went out and fished then, and had a good time. Thanks for sharing those with us.

Default memories from years gone by

That was a great story. Dark you should put it in the story of the month thread.

Here are some of mine -

When I was growing up, my Dad took us out on his boat to fish Barnegat Bay. I didn't know a lot about fishing then but it seemed we always caught fish. We would go out to the channels and the sedges, and drift with bait, or anchor up. There was one day of many that stands out in my mind. We started before sunrise. We caught weakies and one small striper near the sedges by chumming grass shrimp. We had about 5 quarts of grass shrimp. As long as we chummed those shrimp, the weakies kept hitting. I think the biggest one was about 3lbs. And now they call them the ghost fish, when was the last time you can remember catching weakies in the bay? I can't.

Then once the sun came up, we moved around and found some tailor blues, They were gorging on spearing. We tossed out small ava jigs and caught about 50 of them! What a great time we had.

Later in the afternoon, we started drifting for fluke with squid and spearing. The fluke we got weren't big, but they made up for it in quantity. It seemed like every drift we got a fluke to bite! And the blowfish, does anyone remember blowfish? We would bring them in, and rub their bellies so they would puff up. We didn't know you could eat them back then so we always threw them back. They taste just like chicken, you know.

What happened to all that great fishing, it was almost too easy back then. Now you burn half a tank of fuel and have to hit several honey holes to come up with a fish or 2.

Boy how times have changed.

Default I'm bored!

Great stories guys, keep em coming!

Fantastic story, Jimmy. Very moving.

That brought me back, thanks guy.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy z View Post
    I often think about dad, and the times we went fishing together, many, many moons ago. It seems like another lifetime, a time when younger and free from the anxieties that one has. Years ago, my dad had a boat in Sheepshead Bay, Bklyn. .
    On this day though, in March, I wanted to fish, as a I always did. So dad got us some blood worms, a can of corn and a therom of Dunkin' Donuts coffee. We always had the DD coffee on those cold days. Back at that time there weren't many DD's around, but the one on Emmons Ave. was the one we all knew.
    Yes things and times were so much simpler back then. You really captured the essence of what it was like to be a kid and love to go fishing. No fancy gear or plugs, just wroms, corn, clams, etc, and get out there and go fishing. Thank you for sharing that. Beautiful.

Default Re: A thought

Great read jimmy z thanks for posting.

Default Re: A thought

Wow now that was inspiring, Thank you!

I just went back and read this again. It really captures some of the things I think about when out there fishing. Thank you for sharing, sir!

Roddy was talking about JimmyZ the other day.....
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...nd-found-again

I thought it was time to bring this thread he started to the top again....

The older days were the best. We had no money and had to find simple ways to entertain ourselves and get out fishing if we wanted to go. I sure do miss them and memories of my Dad. Nicely written Sir.

Well said.