Thread: Montauk memories

Hybrid View

Default Montauk memories - the people

Lots of characters there. Just like the ebb and flow of the tides, and the different fish we catch, you never know who you'll meet up there. Some cool people I ran into:

LILCO Joe
    Willy Young
    Some of the LIBBA guys
    Many regular LI fishermen who fish locally but take the drive to mecca when the bite is hot.
    Some guys from England, others from Canada....this is the time of year when fishermen all over the world visit Montauk.

Default Montauk memories - the drive, Driving tips

Coming from Jersey, it's a killer. Some things I learned:

"Traffic Moving Well" is something you really want to hear on the news reports....the LIE is a bear to drive during peak hours, Southern State is not much better.....

The last 30 miles through the resort and upperclass towns are hell...Wainscott, the Hamptons,,,,etc,,,
    Do not speed over the posted limit. They target tourists and fishermen for the revenue not the safety.

When you see the turnoff for Shelter Island, you may want to take it if traffic is bad. It will save up to 1/2 hour off your drive, most importantly you will avoid the stop and go......

Going to Montauk, especially if you live far, is best if planned strategically, and done during the most off peak hours you can manage, and NEVER on a holiday weekend......
    The GWB, and other bridges that funnel folks into the New England area can be a nightmare at peak periods, coming or going.
    Also keep changing radio channels for construction reports.....I have sat in slow two lane traffic for as much a 1 1/2 hours to go or return through the gritty streets of the Bronx and the GWB area.

Talking Montauk memories - Survival guide for Googs

Whatever I thought of out there to make things easier for others.

Nice first person account, Dark. Good job (for a googan)

dude, great report, when are you finishing the rest of the posts? i gotta go to montauk, hope i can make it this year, anyone want to car-pool and split gas?

Default Googan

What the hell is a googan? I saw it written on someone's bucket. Now saw it here. Looked it up here under "fishing terms" but not listed yet. Maybe I can be filled in? Maybe I'm one and don't know it.

Great pics fishlipper. Haven't been to Montauk in a while. Read the reports on Montauk from a couple weeks ago. Do you know how the fishing is lately up there?

googan is a new guy who doesn't know any better. Sometimes, with hard work and practice, pitting your time in, you can graduate from a googan to a surf rat, and then a sharpie.