Thread: Tips for optimal Montauk-to-Block Island winter cod fishing

Default Tips for optimal Montauk-to-Block Island winter cod fishing

Friends have been making the trips regularly. Sometimes they do well, sometimes poorly. Hey, that's fishin!

Some tips for possible better trips:

1. Weekdays are usually better. Rumors of a hot bite, even if untrue, will rail the boats on the weekends. This crowded fishing sometimes results in more problems and tangled fishing.

2. Limited trips - some Capts offer a stated limit of fares they will allow on the boat, for a slightly higher price. That my be a choice for some people on the days that tend to be most crowded.

3. Chum is key....stick with a boat known to use fresh clams, and a lot of chum. These trips ain't cheap, guys. $95-150. Choose your boat wisely.

4. Don't believe the hype - right now codfishing is good, but IMO it hasn't yet approached the legendary catches of the last 2 years since it was opened again. There are a lot of shorts caught. The big slobs aren't yet in the mix on a regular basis. Guys who are diligent and serious about it will usually get their limit. There are quite a few days even the best guys will do poorly, and only a amall # of boats will be the heroes of the day.

This to me, says, that after only 2 years, there are perhaps less cod than was originally estimated. I don't have the answers, and anyone else with a different opinion is welcome to weigh in.

5. Fish the snotty days... Some people I know feel that they have had their best days up there when the seas are at their worst, and the truly calm "bluebird days" have sucked so far in terms of a good bite. Anyone who had different experience than that, feel free to comment.

6. Go and have fun! ....I'm not trying to be a downer about these trips. I just wish people would be more honest about them, and the reality of good days vs the days that aren't that great. I understand Capts hyping the bite, they need people to come up and fish. Honestly, cod is the best game in town during the cold winter.
    So, I hope people can appreciate that I'm just trying to be honest here, and want people to go out and catch em up!

Anyone with any other tips to make a successful cod trip, feel free to post up.

Default bait vs jigs

good thread ds, its also important to realize some days they want meat, clams, and other days you will smash them by jigging.
    When they are hitting clams hard, you can make the odds better by tipping a hook with a chartreuse or pink jelly worm.

It's a good idea to have lots of extra rigs, and jigs anywhere from 8-16 oz. The full and new moon will have greater current and you will need heavier jigs. The guys who put their limits into the box are the ones who are able to adapt to whatever the conditions are, for that particular day.

Quote Originally Posted by nitestrikes View Post
    good thread ds, its also important to realize some days they want meat, clams, and other days you will smash them by jigging.
    When they are hitting clams hard, you can make the odds better by tipping a hook with a chartreuse or pink jelly worm.

It's a good idea to have lots of extra rigs, and jigs anywhere from 8-16 oz. The full and new moon will have greater current and you will need heavier jigs. The guys who put their limits into the box are the ones who are able to adapt to whatever the conditions are, for that particular day.

What he ^^^said when the cod are chasing Herring, clams are useless you need jigs.

I also disagree with snotty days as baits are bounced all over the bottom and the swells and wind puts big loops in line making it almost impossible to feel bites. Best days are with wind and current are together so there is a good drift or to keep tight on the anchor

Boat don't chum as the water is too deep but throwing the shells over as the mates shuck does help when at anchor over a wreck

I've been cod and pollock fishing for over 50 years and nothing beats a big Pollock on a jig

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    I've been cod and pollock fishing for over 50 years and nothing beats a big Pollock on a jig
    Thanks for the tips finchaser I never caught a cod or pollack on a jig and want to do that soon. Do you have a particular jigging technique for cod or pollack that you could describe to us? thanks.

Has anyone fished montauk or snug harbor ri block cod trips yet? I heard the fishing was spotty and don't want to make the drive if it is, thanks.

been dead

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

This is a recent report from the Viking Feb 17. Capt was pretty honest. As finchaser said it has been pretty dismal.

"Capt Carl reports a tough day on the cod grounds. It was very cold out and fishing was very picky. We read them pretty good but they seemed to have lockjaw. There were also dogs around. Me managed a slow pick by days end, but it certainly wasn't enough. Kevin McCann from Staten Island won the pool with an 8 pound Cod."