Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: raritan bay and ocean area temps

Default raritan bay and ocean area temps

Lets see some water temps for Raritan here. I need something to look forward to. I'm looking for 45-50 as the magic number for striped bass action. Any thoughts?

Today it reached 36 degrees at Keansburg. That's pretty good, considering all last week it was around 33.

It will drop like a rock when all the snow run off from upstate comes down the husdon

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Oh come on finchaser you're such a party pooper! At that rate we will have nothing in the bay but winter flounder and stray coney island whitefish. Some of us want to fish on Mar 1, keep hope alive will you!

Quote Originally Posted by storminsteve View Post
    Oh come on finchaser you're such a party pooper! At that rate we will have nothing in the bay but winter flounder and stray coney island whitefish. Some of us want to fish on Mar 1, keep hope alive will you!
    For your sake I hope so, but I wouldn't bet on it

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    It will drop like a rock when all the snow run off from upstate comes down the husdon
    This is what Cardoc and I were discussing the other day. For any chance on getting fish March 1st there will have to be no more storms and the sun better come out more often like it has been. The water will be cold and muddy too. Unless this happens it won't be good for an early beginning. JMO

I agree, but if you fish the incoming tide to the top, the water coming in from the ocean might actually be warmer. I did this as a pattern for the first month last year and caught fish. Today the back bay temp registered 47 degrees. It will be windy for the next few days so I imagine those temps will shoot right back down. Still, 47 degrees makes me drool a little.

Quote Originally Posted by storminsteve View Post
    I agree, but if you fish the incoming tide to the top, the water coming in from the ocean might actually be warmer. I did this as a pattern for the first month last year and caught fish. Today the back bay temp registered 47 degrees. It will be windy for the next few days so I imagine those temps will shoot right back down. Still, 47 degrees makes me drool a little.
    Hey Steve I can't wait to get back out there again either. We should exchange info because I won't be on the site anymore. Someone is pist at me for going and meeting a fellow site member so I am out of here.

Quote Originally Posted by rip316 View Post
    Hey Steve I can't wait to get back out there again either. We should exchange info because I won't be on the site anymore. Someone is pist at me for going and meeting a fellow site member so I am out of here.
    if you stay i will buy you a samminch what do ya say bro

Quote Originally Posted by speedy View Post
    if you stay i will by you a samminch what do ya say bro
    trying to kill him now, with food from that place Dark eats at

Yesterday the bay temp got up to 43 and is around 40 today at keansberg. However, i'm looking for it to be a bit more steady over 45. March 17th was my start date last year and that is what I am looking forward too.
    "Don't be shy, give it a try"

Barnegat bay temps are 36today. After getting back up to 41.5 on the 18th. Finchaser is right, there won't be many bass in water that cold. The season opens in less than 2 weeks. Thats depressing.

Snow tonight and teens tomorrow night won't help. Saw some lagoons on Sunday that feed into Barnegat Bay still iced over

Yeah at this rate fishing will start heating up in June, right when its time for them to move further north.

Water temps for rb got up to 42 yesterday, getting close!

Raritan Bay went from 42 all the way down to 34 last last night. With rain expected this weekend will only delay any kind of action. I will be staying home til next week.

The water was freezing today. I went this morning with clams and it was about 42. No fish around, small taps on the hook which were probably flounder. The guy at the tackle shop said it got to 50 yesterday, but not this morning it was like ice!

Manasquan river today 38 and brown
    Barnegat bay 40 and clear
    Beaver dam had skim ice this AM

both taken by me

The tackle store with the 50 BS is just trying to sell bait

The USGS gauge at Keansburg finally touched 50, for real, yesterday. As finchaser said the rain dropped those temps like a rock. Now they are trending up a little and should honestly (tackle shop liers be damned) be into the 50's this week. I am liking the first few days of next week. The temp will be trending up and might produce some results.

50 deg in the rb, just hit it!
    Won't be long now!

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast