No disrespect taken. No they are plugging,I associate with many people that fish bait some from this sight. I just don't fish with them when they use bait but have been known to plug next to them. Many times this time of year, fish will hit a plug or rubber worked slow over clams because they are chasing herring and other bait that the bass push north as the waters warm. Remember the bass stay with bait schools to survive, they don't chase clams. Plugs also cover more water.

Now to try and cure your curiosity:

Before the new breed of bass fisherman arrived on the scene clams were only fished after strom's in the surf,when they broke up and covered the beaches before the inshore clamming fleet wiped most of them out. Many beaches had to be closed until they could clean up the clams because of the stench, flies and health risks.

The preferred spring bait in the bays and rivers was blood and sand worms which were dirt cheap. Sand worms were like $10.00 a flat (12 dozen). Anglers put 2 and 3 whole worms on at a time on a 4/0 hook . Most people use clams today because they are much cheaper than worms .

The preferred boat method in the spring was drifting a whole worm on a 3' leader with a dipsey sinker just heavy enough to reach and bounce bottom. This was done in the rivers or channels in the bay. Caught quite a few 20 to 30 pound fish that way in the 60's and 70's. Big weakfish in the 10# to 18# range were common a little later on.

Hope this cures your curiosity

By the way live lining bunker ,eels and( herring when we were allowed to)from a boat on a circle hook for easy release is still one of favorite things to do. That's my idea of bait fishing not slinging snot.