Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: raritan bay and ocean area temps

Quote Originally Posted by storminsteve View Post
    Won't be long now!
    Ah Rabbi jokes^^

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Went out tonight and the water was cold. I waded in and is was like crap. A lil longer yet
    "Don't be shy, give it a try"

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    Ah Rabbi jokes^^
    That would be after the circumcision, no?
    Poor kid, he could have been a John Holmes. Now he's just a little "short". Hey cardoc at least you gave it a try.

Fished the incoming yesterday. One fat short (do not know what they could have been feeding on with no bait around, this thing had a football shaped belly) 23" on sandworm.

Nice, rip!
    The temps hit 57 in the back of rb today woo hoo!

Quote Originally Posted by cardoc765 View Post
    Went out tonight and the water was cold. I waded in and is was like crap. A lil longer yet
    Quote Originally Posted by storminsteve View Post
    Nice, rip!
    The temps hit 57 in the back of rb today woo hoo!
    The tackle store with the 50 BS is just trying to sell bait
    I brought these comments to light because I wanted to give a little depth to this issue here. It's great that these temps are edging upward. I check the guages every day for several areas as well and get pumped when I see the water reaching the 50 degree mark.

However, I wanted to get people to think about the fact that as fin and others have said, those are surface water temps. Moreover, those temps exist for a static period in time as the sun heats the water near the data stations.

The fish are still sluggish at this point. I know guys are bragging about catching, and I'm happy for them.

I met several groups of people today who travel 2-4 hours (one way) to out NJ bays to fish. While we complain about wasting our time out there, these guys will spend a minimum of 8 hours a night fishing when you take their commuting time into account.

So while I'm happy to see the tackle shops sell clams and worms (cause they certainly need the business, they really do!) it's more accurate to say fishing is spotty right now. I know there are no guarantees in fishing. But if you're driving 2 hours or more one-way to get to the bayshore and anticipating fish, it's not likely right now.

If you're going just to get out of the house and have to be away from the wife, or because your son or daughter is begging to go fishing, then by all means don't let my cautions stop you from going.

The gas crisis has made people more picky about making trips for nothing. All I'm trying to do is save folks who live far away a few dollars in these tough times.

In a week or 2, the action should really be worthwhile.
    Even the bunker that people are harping about in the bays can't help most fishermen right now, as the largest majority of fish that are available aren't big enough to swallow a bunker. Most of those resident fish are keyed in on worms, crabs, small marine life, grass shrimp, and the winter spearing that have shown up.

So, without seeming too negative, just trying to keep it real for the folks who live furthest from the surf.

I have heard so many stories from tackle shops saying people are getting fish. But it is interesting how there are no weigh ins. Who wouldn't want a gift certificate for the first weigh in of the year. I agree with Dark's water temps. What you read is not waht the temp is deeper in the water column. My comment of the water being crap was a reference to how cold it was. Looking at my logs from last year, the ouside temp was 60 for several days. Yes, i started to catch fish consitently starting March 17th. but the water temps low and high were hovering around 50 to 52. It was not a drastic change between high and low tides. That is what you want, more consistency in the water temps. Middle or end of next week show start to show more signs of fish. There have been a few shorts caught so far, so it's looking good.
    "Don't be shy, give it a try"

Snow showers Wed. into Thurs. and temps dropping into the low 30's is not a good comnbination. We will have to wait a bit longer fellas for this year to be kicked off into a more consistent feeding pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by rip316 View Post
    Snow showers Wed. into Thurs. and temps dropping into the low 30's is not a good comnbination. We will have to wait a bit longer fellas for this year to be kicked off into a more consistent feeding pattern.
    fishing is returning to how it use to be less fish and real winters you newbies are spoiled, when the dogwoods bloom they will be there can't go by dates. Temps that cause dogwoods to bloom are also the temps needed to warm the water. Been usng this since it was given to me over 40 years ago I never go by dates I follow nature

Tulips – arrival of winter flounder
    Dogwood – arrival of striped bass
    Lilac – weakfish are in town
    Forsythia – bluefish and fluke are on the move
    September’s full harvest moon has a tremendous effect on both weakfish and striped bass which take it as a sign to start their annual southern migration. During this lunar period juvenile species of both predator and prey are driven outward along the shoreline.

Hey guys the water temps in raritan bay dropped about 10 degrees in the last 3 days, they are now around 70.
    http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nj/nwis/uv...te_no=01407081

raritan bay temps were around 68 this morning!

It went down to 56 this week

Go south, young man, go south.

It went from 37 last night to 46 today, woo hoo!

Sorry pal that ones really hard to believe

^He's right. It's here all in black and white, finchaser. Grouchy much? Maybe dark has a point. Look at the chart for mar 6.The bay seemed warmed up last night, early pm,, but it was still no action.
    http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nj/nwis/uv...te_no=01407081

OK but my friends who fish there nightly said the water temps when they take it was 38 to 40 and void of life. Really makes no never mind to me as I don't fish there not into clams and commando fishing. Looks to me on your chart nights are in the low 40's and daytime highs rise, then again it has to do with water depth and in that area what flows down the rivers on the tide .The water went up to almost 55 degrees today according to them another 10 degree rise. Remember you are on the moon tide at low tide the extremely low waters warm quickly and give a semi false reading which drops like a rock on the flood tide. Should be in the 80's by the weekend. I'm not grouchy just report what I see or hear to try and help people as DS asked me to

OK but my friends who fish there nightly said the water temps when they take it was 38 to 40 and void of life. Really makes no never mind to me as I don't fish there not into clams and commando fishing.
    Finchaser no disrespect meant but I understood you to be a guy who doesn't fish bait. Yet you have friends who fish there nightly. Would they be using clams? From your posts I understood that you didn't associate with anyone who fishes bait, so why the friends who are clam fishers.
    It makes no difference to me as I will fish clams bunker or whatever else it takes it put them in the boat, just curious?

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast