Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: raritan bay and ocean area temps

No disrespect taken. No they are plugging,I associate with many people that fish bait some from this sight. I just don't fish with them when they use bait but have been known to plug next to them. Many times this time of year, fish will hit a plug or rubber worked slow over clams because they are chasing herring and other bait that the bass push north as the waters warm. Remember the bass stay with bait schools to survive, they don't chase clams. Plugs also cover more water.

Now to try and cure your curiosity:

Before the new breed of bass fisherman arrived on the scene clams were only fished after strom's in the surf,when they broke up and covered the beaches before the inshore clamming fleet wiped most of them out. Many beaches had to be closed until they could clean up the clams because of the stench, flies and health risks.

The preferred spring bait in the bays and rivers was blood and sand worms which were dirt cheap. Sand worms were like $10.00 a flat (12 dozen). Anglers put 2 and 3 whole worms on at a time on a 4/0 hook . Most people use clams today because they are much cheaper than worms .

The preferred boat method in the spring was drifting a whole worm on a 3' leader with a dipsey sinker just heavy enough to reach and bounce bottom. This was done in the rivers or channels in the bay. Caught quite a few 20 to 30 pound fish that way in the 60's and 70's. Big weakfish in the 10# to 18# range were common a little later on.

Hope this cures your curiosity

By the way live lining bunker ,eels and( herring when we were allowed to)from a boat on a circle hook for easy release is still one of favorite things to do. That's my idea of bait fishing not slinging snot.

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    The preferred spring bait in the bays and rivers was blood and sand worms which were dirt cheap. Sand worms were like $10.00 a flat (12 dozen). Anglers put 2 and 3 whole worms on at a time on a 4/0 hook . Most people use clams today because they are much cheaper than worms .

The preferred boat method in the spring was drifting a whole worm on a 3' leader with a dipsey sinker just heavy enough to reach and bounce bottom. This was done in the rivers or channels in the bay. Caught quite a few 20 to 30 pound fish that way in the 60's and 70's. Big weakfish in the 10# to 18# range were common a little later on.

Thanks for the memories finchaser. Sand worms $10/flat, weakfish 10-18lbs, sounds like a land far removed from the nj we know now.
    The bay temps went up to 54 yesterday, are now around 47. It can only get better from here.

Quote Originally Posted by ledhead36 View Post
    The bay temps went up to 54 yesterday, are now around 47. It can only get better from here.
    Is this any where near normal for this time of the year?
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

monty not to my knowledge. The March bay temps are usually in the range of 35-45 according to my logs. The last time things were this warm this quickly was around 2006. This year we didn't have snow in the area, so I would think that has a lot to do with it. Maybe someone else here has some other figures?

abnormally low tides from moon and wind the temps as per there site are being taken in like 2-3 which warm and cool quickly main thing it's void of life except for spanish speaking folk as it was told to me.

Bay hit 56 today time to fish hard.

before the algae blooms invade the rivers and bay since nothing got cold or froze this so called winter to kill it

I am not looking forward to the algae invasion.

before the algae blooms invade the rivers and bay since nothing got cold or froze this so called winter to kill it
    The raritan bay temperatures hit 60 degrees today. Finchaser do you think if there is a lot of algae that will affect the bunker?

too much algea depletes oxegen and kills everything,you seem really hung up on bunker one thing i can assure you they won't make you a good bass fisherman

too much algea depletes oxegen and kills everything,you seem really hung up on bunker one thing i can assure you they won't make you a good bass fisherman

Yeah but they make some of the netters rich. They can make a lotta cheese selling them to tackle shops.
    RB temperature went down 9 degrees in the last 2 days from 63 to 55

stripermania I fished it last night and I think the water temp got down to 45 degrees, very chilly!

bay was 40 this AM 15 degree drop

Are the temperature changes of the water normal? They sound extreme but I have nothing to base that on.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

shallow water heats and cools quickly it's 48 today

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nj/nwis/uv...te_no=01407081

Today it registered 53, so maybe we are finally on a warming trend.

shallow water heats and cools quickly it's 48 today

Yes but today it went from 51 to 59 degrees. 9 degrees in one day is definitely going to heat the mud flats up. Get ready boys

raritan bay gauge broken? It has not registered for the last 3 days.

^ hook I think it is kaput for now.

The ocean temps are around 48 and the bay is close to 50.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast