Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: raritan bay and ocean area temps

Default Re: raritan bay and ocean area temps

44 was the lowest today it's only goint to get better I say we hit 50 by the end of the day woo hoo!

Snapshot of the ocean temps. Seems a little cold but we are getting there.

http://marine.rutgers.edu/mrs/sat_da...7.0030.n16.jpg

I checked that site while I was fishing today it said the temps went from 48-58 woo hoo!

Wow all you need is some stiff wind to drop the bay temps like a rock. Barnegat was 46 this morning, Raritan was 50. Need some sun and steady mild w wind to even things out.

3 day heavy NE on its way

This Afternoon
    NE winds 10 to 15 kt. Seas 2 to 4 ft. Mainly in se swell with a dominant period of 9 seconds.
    Tonight
    E winds 10 to 15 kt with gusts up to 20 kt...becoming NE 15 to 20 kt with gusts up to 25 kt late. Seas 3 to 4 ft...building to 4 to 6 ft late. Mainly in se swell with a dominant period of 8 seconds.
    Mon
    E winds 20 to 25 kt with gusts up to 30 kt. Seas 5 to 8 ft.
    Mon Night
    NE winds 20 to 25 kt with gusts up to 30 kt. Seas 5 to 8 ft.
    Tue
    NE winds 20 to 25 kt with gusts up to 30 kt. Seas 5 to 8 ft.
    Tue Night
    NE winds 10 to 15 kt with gusts up to 20 kt... diminishing to 5 to 10 kt after midnight. Seas 4 to 7 ft.
    Wed
    S winds 5 to 10 kt...increasing to 15 to 20 kt in the afternoon...then becoming SW in the evening...becoming NW after midnight. Seas 4 to 6 ft. A chance of showers.
    Thu
    NE winds 10 to 15 kt...becoming SW in the evening...then becoming NW after midnight. Seas 3 to 5 ft. A chance of showers in the morning with vsby 1 to 3 nm.

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

NE sucks! Not so terrible for the bay fishing though, much worse for the ocean. Took a look and the ocean looked like a washing maching before. The barnegat bay was 46 today, raritan was 50 - brrrrr!

Bay temps went from 66 yesterday to 56 this morning. 10 degree drop won't be good

RB down to 58 from 66. Shut fishing off where I was. I bass on shad. Sucks.

The rb temps dipped from 67 to 54 in the last 24 hours. 13 degrees in that time will give the bass lockjaw. This morning I took a drive to an inlet in moco and checked it out to see what they were catching. Not much lots of sea robins. I was there early and it was still incoming so it might be different later on. Stuck my hand in the water and it felt cold! Both ocean and inlet water. I didn't have a thermometer but ti seems the same as the bay water. A site I check said 58 degrees. it seemed colder than that. I would bet both the bay and ocean are now at 54 degrees.

Raritan bay temps dropped 8 degrees in 2 days from 72 to 64. Checked internet and the ocean is 60. Seems they are a little closer together in temp now

They dropped 7 degrees in 2 days. The back bay is setting up nicely only a matter of time now. Even some bluefish have started to come back in.

Keansburg temps went up to 70 today. Not good. we need some rainy days and northwest winds

Finally in a good trend. Bay temps have dropped 10 degrees in the last 10 days. Stabilizing around 60. Should not be long now before some bigger fish show up.

What a difference a week makes. Have been still catching spot and small blues and bass but the water temps have really taken a downturn. Dropped 7 degrees last night alone to 47 this morning. In the last week they have dropped 17 degrees. Every living creature except for the raccoons and rats will soon clear out of the bay. Time to hit the front.

raritan bay temps dropped to 35 degrees tonight. 10 degree drop in 2 days. This should push out the last of any remaining bass except for those in the hudson.

Quote Originally Posted by ledhead36 View Post
    raritan bay temps dropped to 35 degrees tonight. 10 degree drop in 2 days. This should push out the last of any remaining bass except for those in the hudson.
    Don't use the USGS Keansburg gauge as it's subject to large swings in temperature and doesn't reflect the true temperature of the bay. It is a much better gauge on the incoming tide as it reflects the bay temperatures more accurately. Natco Lake is very wide and shallow. Most of the lake is only 3-4ft deep and is subject to rapid cooling and warming hence the large temperature swings on the outgoing in the fall and spring.

I use NOAA buoy as that's on the back of the hook in the bay. That is reading 48.7 right now and it looks like there was a 3 degree drop overnight. That will also be influenced slightly by tides (but so is the rest of the bay!).

http://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/catl.html

^^^^^ Hey JB I might be quoting that gage because I fish there. Do you want me to give away all my fishing spots?
    Just teasing no worries. thanks for the info. Looks like I will be fishing closer to the ocean from now on tha bay back there is to cold.

I checked that site today jbarbosa thanks.
    Today it was 37.6 at Sandy Hook and 35.6 in Brooklyn. Way too cold for a bass bite. It's ashame because we always do well on bass before the first noreaster of the season. This year its just too cold. Sucks.

After hitting 45 yesterday the r bay temps are down to 38. We had a small chance and now it may take a few days for the action to start again. The ocean is still 38 so the bay is the place to be.

I look at the temp chart and it is like a stock in the stock market. Last week they were trending upward today they shot down after last night. When you see like 3 days in a row of rising trends from now on I think it will be game on. Better hurry and get out there gents. At this rate the bluefish will be here when the bass action busts open.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast