Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: raritan bay and ocean area temps

Thanks for the updates, gents. It seems like 45 in the ocean, up to 50 in the bays. Holding steady. The storm on sunday may chill that down and it's back to square one.

Yeah its bee on the upswing last 2 days. 52 and up. Just took a temp reading of 51 this morning. Good signs ahead.

Got a reading of 50 earlier today. Temps in the bay jumped 10 degrees in the last 3 days. Fish are active.

Temps are going down to perfect levels. There is still a huge amount of bait in the rivers and harbors. we are starting to catch more keepers on bunker and peanuts. You can't catch them from the couch, get out there guys.

Down to 30 in the back with the cold winds. Its over.

And life is back again. Back bay water temperatures hit 50 degrees for one day last week. A good start for February.

Like a roller coaster, they are back down again. Bunker are still around though. Early spring for sure.

Didn't take long for the big freeze to take over. Parts of Barney Bay look like a winter Ice palace.

Upstate had close to 2 feet of snow the runoff when it melts should plummet the bay temp

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    Upstate had close to 2 feet of snow the runoff when it melts should plummet the bay temp
    It's over before it even started.

The fat lady has sung, see you guys next March.

Jbarbosa I think you are the only one who knows how to fish in cold weather besides us. Too many are pansies waiting for the perfect day. My crew and I caught some small stripers the first two days after opening day, but nothing big only runts on worms. We have been getting some herring before the snow as well. These are nice sea herring that you can catch and keep. Yep there are no fish in Jersey right now. Everyone should stay on the couch watching TV.

nothing like shocking and killing little fish

The water temp is 37 deg at Keansburg gate right now during incoming tide

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

It's going to take 2 weeks for water temps to get to a decent level again. my two cents.

I am so sick of this cold water and winter. I hereby declare it's over! I want to fish.

thought you were saying it's over the other way- time to pack up the gear. Remind myself to read more closely next time. Yeah I'm getting pretty sick of this weather too. With all that cold water in the hudson, seems like it would take a while 4 things to heat up.

"Take a while to heat things up?" Well it only took 10 days. Temps are trending back up again, hit a high of 47 yesterday back at the gage. Today I checked early on in the rain. They dropped a few degrees, doesn't matter. Stripers are still on the feed, time to fish, gents.

The NW and west winds really locked down the bay temps. They hit 42 last night, coldest in 2 weeks. Should push most of the big stripes and bait out front.

Time to get this going again. Water temps in the back have been rising steadily since the snow. In a week they went from 39, to 44 yesterday, which I took near the top of the tide by a creek in the back. Within a day or so it should hit 45, and keep climbing.

Didn't see a thread for the Delaware river temps. Heads up they reached 48 at warmest point yesterday. Good deal!

Bet you those temperatures are going to drop like a stone with this. I am so done with winter.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast