Thread: 9/11 themed rod

Default 9/11 themed rod

I have been working on this one for a while. I designed this custom weave that shows the letters FDNY and NYPD on the bottom with the twin towers, 2 beams of light, and a silhouette of a fireman above. Then above that are the words "NEVER FORGET 9/11 with stars in the background. This weave is bordered in between the split grips below the reel. For the dec wrap I did a gold metallic soaring eagle bordered with red, white, and blue.

This was a huge project. Not only to design but the amount of time involved. The weave alone took 2 weeks to design and 40 hours to weave. It has over 500 individual strands of thread and is 6 colors

Enjoy the Journey

And here is the dec wrap. It is a "Soaring Eagle" design

Enjoy the Journey

wow, is all I can say.

That is some real fine work, what type of a program do you use to make the patterns? Also what kind of loom, that is some thing I don't think I could do just being nosy :}
    Last edited by tropics; 02-18-2011 at 07:39 PM. Reason: mispelled
    I only fish on days that end in Y
    Richie

Beautiful work, John. When I first saw that I had a lump in my throat looking at it. It just grabs your attention.
    Very respectful tribute to those who lost their lives that day.
    Your skills have really improved since you first started. A lot of guys wouldn't want to jump in to that level, that fast, but not you.

Thanks for sharing, bro. When finished, that rod should bring a feeling of pride to whoever is lucky enough to throw it.

Real nice, awesome rod. A very special rod.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Incredible, are you going to donate it when done or use it yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by tropics View Post
    That is some real fine work, what type of a program do you use to make the patterns? Also what kind of loom, that is some thing I don't think I could do just being nosy :}
    Thank you. I used Visual Weave to design the weave and I use the Wonder Weaver loom.
    Enjoy the Journey

Quote Originally Posted by storminsteve View Post
    Incredible, are you going to donate it when done or use it yourself?
    I built this for a friend in NY. He wanted a 9/11 theme and just told me to be creative. He has no idea yet what it looks like. He gets it next week
    Enjoy the Journey

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    Beautiful work, John. When I first saw that I had a lump in my throat looking at it. It just grabs your attention.
    Very respectful tribute to those who lost their lives that day.
    Your skills have really improved since you first started. A lot of guys wouldn't want to jump in to that level, that fast, but not you.

Thanks for sharing, bro. When finished, that rod should bring a feeling of pride to whoever is lucky enough to throw it.

Thank you Rich. At my old (er) age I want to take this as far as I can and I don't have time to play around. I would also be very remiss if I did not mention my mentor Gunny. Without his knowledge and friendship I would be nowhere with this. He has taught me quite a bit and I just try to take it all in. His knowledge and skills are amazing.

I've got a feeling this rod has got some very good "mojo".

I appreciate the kind words everyone. I've got a couple of simpler builds coming up and will share pics of those as well. But this one will always be very special to me
    Enjoy the Journey

Awesome, just awesome.

Very detailed, nice work. It would be an honor to whoever you are building that rod for. The guy Gunny you spoke of sounds like a true mentor.