Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
And yet.....the ASMFC still has not made a positive move to modify the striped bass regulations. ...promising instead, that they will do something....in 2015?

It has become apparent to me,

1. that they are waiting for the one year that the YOY was good, (I believe it was 2011)...to become mature, so that one year class, can carry the weight of the whole fishery.
2. That there are undisclosed parties who are now influencing the way the ASMFC makes decisions....IE special interests have convinced them of possible local economic damage from changing the limits, and they are procrastinating every year.

**What is clear to me, is that there is procrastination, despite their claims that the catch numbers, and SSB biomass (Spawning Striped bass, a key figure used) are down significantly.
It is also possible that before they institute the changes for 2015 (and these changes have already been discussed at length, this time I have very credible proof that they will happen)....
but by that time.......without immediate modification.....it will take several years for the SSB to recover......

This is what vexes me, and why I sometimes have trouble sleeping at night.....this is an organization that was mandated to be stewards of the striped bass population....and they have done a very poor job.
Dark, forgive me for nitpicking here, but I dislike the word procrastination here on how you are using it.
procrastination: To put off doing something, especially out of habitual carelessness or laziness.
There is no procrastination here. It is being put off because either someone is getting $$ to ignore what is happening or the people making the decisions are buddies with others whose interests would be hurt by stricter striped bass regulations.
Anyone who bet that the 2011 YOY will save the Striped Bass Population is stupid. Its way to risky of a bet. And that's all it is, a long shot hail mary at best.
Seeing all those pictures of the dead striped this year from Captree was very upsetting. If the ASMFC was doing their job correctly 2 out of every 3 of those dead bass in those pictures would still be swimming and breeding this coming spring.

And those 2012 and 2013 YOY look way more scarey than the 2011 looked great.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yoy.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	17860