Thread: 2011 Jamaica Bay Kayak Fishing Tournament Information

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Shorelady View Post
    That was a great time! No Women's division this year. Will have to fish with all the guys, which is fine.
    I remember you got a fat bass 30+ lbs in the back of the river last fall, Judy. On a day when most other yakkers wouldn't be out. But you were out there throwing spoons. It's sad to hear that there will be no women's division, but I know you'll hold your own with the guys. Good luck, we'll be rooting for ya!

And Casting for Recovery is a great organization, folks. Anyone who has any questions should click the link supplied in the first post.

Default 30lb bass in the river in the fall?

Wow great catch shorelady. Sounds like you don't need any special division, you can match anybody with catches like that. Catch em up and good luck.

That fish was a great way to end the season, especially with this long winter we have had.
    I really hope some of you can attend the tourney.
    Anyway, I got this response from Dee.

Since there is no physical difference between men and women in the
    ability to catch a fish, the tournament committee has combined the
    women's with the other divisions. Women are encouraged to register and
    compete in this tournament for Casting For Recovery and have an awesome time.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorelady View Post
    Since there is no physical difference between men and women in the
    ability to catch a fish, the tournament committee has combined the
    women's with the other divisions.
    I honestly would have thought that women are at a slight disadvantage because guys may have stronger legs to pedal if using the hobies. Not that I want to sound sexist or anything. Shows how far women have come, you can't argue with the equality thing I guess. More power to you shorelady and good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by jigfreak View Post
    I honestly would have thought that women are at a slight disadvantage because guys may have stronger legs to pedal if using the hobies. Not that I want to sound sexist or anything. Shows how far women have come, you can't argue with the equality thing I guess. More power to you shorelady and good luck.
    Yes, we have equality in all areas now. Personally, I think women should have separate divisions as it might get more women to participate in some things. And I was wondering why you can only fish this tournament in the daylight hours. Isn't some of the better fishing done at night?

Hey folks, there is a thread we started pertaining to this tourney. Those who are interested in helping Casting for Recovery can make a contribution to help them defray the costs of the event. Any amount you can give, no matter how small, would be appreciated. Feel free to check out this thread, or PM Shorelady (Judy) with further questions. Thanks!

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...d-support-info

Quote Originally Posted by baitstealer View Post
    Isn't some of the better fishing done at night?
    Baitstealer, I would agree with that. I'm thinking there is no night fishing because of the liability issue to tourney organizers. Maybe Shorelady can shed some light on that.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    Baitstealer, I would agree with that. I'm thinking there is no night fishing because of the liability issue to tourney organizers. Maybe Shorelady can shed some light on that.
    Sorry for the delay with the post. In regards to the night fishing, it cannot be part of the tourney. It has to do with the park system and probably the insurance. Will double check on that.

Quote Originally Posted by baitstealer View Post
    Yes, we have equality in all areas now. Personally, I think women should have separate divisions as it might get more women to participate in some things. And I was wondering why you can only fish this tournament in the daylight hours. Isn't some of the better fishing done at night?
    I think you have made a good point regarding getting more women involved and I will relay that for next year. I am amazed at the lack of women that fish in this area as opposed to Fl. where I lived for 15 years. Just before I left the area, I started to fish on an all women's offshore team. And "Grandma" Anita was by far the most respected Captain in the area. Can't figure it? Any thoughts?

It seems to be the same thing for surf fishing, shorelady. I have fished for over 50 years and only in the last 10 or so have seen an increase in the number of women who have an interest in fishing on the beach. On the boat is is different. And some boats today have all the comforts of home. But if you wanted to compare the numbers, even on the sand, I suspect they would be quite small. I know of a few fly fisherrwomen who fish Island beach. I think there is another one, a woman in her 60's, who fishes Sandy Hook and some of the Monmouth county beaches. Sadly, right now my memory cannot recall that many others. I suspect there are similar percentages for the kayak folks out there as well. Although I also think you kayak people might have more of an advantage recruiting women. I have frequently seen women kayaking solo in Barnegat and Great Bay. Now mind you, these were not fisherwomen, just kayakers, but the interest does seem to be there for women to go out and enjoy a day on the water. Good luck with the tourney folks.